Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

Hey Skylark owners!

What do you think of your Skylark?
fyshy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #2

I'm new to the forum. Is this posted in the wrong place? I'm thinking about purchasing a 2011 Skylark, but never owning an rv I need some experienced folks to help me. Guess not many Skylarks have been sold yet.

So how about you guys with similar units? What do you think of the Skylark?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #3

We love our Skylark, very light, and easy to pull and park. It is the perfect size for two people and two dogs.
If you decide on the Skylark and like camping in the winter you might want to consider adding the additional furnace which will move the A/C unit on the roof. Heat pumps do not work below freezing.
I haven't had many sway problems but I would like to add a WD/Anti-sway just for safety's sake. I still haven't found a Weight Distribution/Anti-sway system that will fit the Skylark but the dealer should be able to fit it with one.
Search "Skylark" within this Forum, there are two other Skylarkers on this forum, and a few on the Jayco Facebook page.
avitech10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #4

Thanks!

Nice to hear your comments. It really helps make our decision. My wife and I think the size is just right for our use. I look forward to learning more. We will be towing with 06 Toyota Tundra, V8, 4 dr, 6600 lb GVWR.

thanks again
Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #5

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum FyShy1! I think we have some members with the new Skylark. Try doing a search (found on the blue bar above) for Skylark and read through the threads. Also, try this online review >>here and be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom for owners personal comments. Hope this helps. Let us know what you wind up doing! Happy Shopping!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #6

I agree with Avitech10, we love our Skylark. The trailer is built well and very easy to tow. My family includes DW, DS and our Goldendoodle. Even with a teenager we still have plenty of room. We did opt'd for the a/c versus the Cool Cat. By replacing the Cool Cat you pick up another storage area.

I added just a sway bar to my hitch and it works great. I don't need a weight distribution hitch since the trailer tongue is so light. You should have not problems towing the Skylark with your Toyota Tundra.

2010 Honda Pilot
2011 Skylark
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the info.

I appreciate the comments. Looks like we are getting close to trying to make a good deal on one. So far local dealers are WAY off from the quotes received by a couple of the online dealers. I would prefer to buy close to home.

Question: Do the online dealers give you there best bottom line price or is it still possible to make them an offer? Their quote was so much better than the local dealer, I figured they might be as low as can be expected.

Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #8

RvDirect is one that is about the lowest. If a local dealer isn't coming down on the price, it could be that they are adding the transportation costs of bringing the tt to you from the factory. Ask what the transport cost is at the local dealers, then see if dealer will sell you the tt at the quote you have. Also, different dealers may charge differently on transportation. One dealer quoted $1000 and others charged upwards to $2000 to bring tt to Calif. What state are you in? One other thought... call and ask to speak to the internet manager at your local dealer. You save a little more not having to deal with a salesman
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #9

Hello Skylarkers,
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the following:

TV mount - did you put a mount in yet, if so what type did you use? we purchased a 21" flat screen & have been putting it up & down until we figure out what type os mount to get.

Thermostat - anyone replace it with a digital?, I was thinking of asking the dealer about it, the one that's in there isn't the greatest, it's kind of hard to figure out where to set it.

Electric Jack - I did a little reading and sort of liking the Husky Jack, have anyone changed your jack? yet?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks
Cyndi
Reese 66153 SC
Prodigy P3
SunCruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #10

SunCruzin -- we did not mount our TV. It fits perfectly on the corner of the counter and isn't in the way. When we travel is sets in the bottom of the wardrobe. I can not provide any details regarding an electonic thermostat or electric jack. I have not installed either of these. If you have the Cool Cat Heat Pump then a thermostat should work well.

2010 Honda Pilot
2011 Skylark
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #11

which would you go with: the cool cat heat pump or the roof mounted ac/furnace? Most of our use will be in the southeast US.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #12

We didn't have a choice, we purchased our tt at an RV Show and it already had the upgrades to the AC/Furnace BUT we would have wanted that option, so it worked out for us. We live in CA and camp all year, I like the warmth of the furnace heat and I wanted the a/c so that in the summer I can leave our dog in the trailer when we're hiking or away from camp and know he'll be nice & cool.
Reese 66153 SC
Prodigy P3
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #13

SunCruzin--- With all electronic gear , you have to be carefull that that you have the correct voltage ie 120V 10% +- to operate on.Voltage drop in real common in campgrounds, the further you are from a transformer ( those gray cans on the poles) the lower the voltage will be especially at breakfsst & dinner times. Generac makes a meter that plugs in so you can see the voltage your recieving, the are $20.00 on line. i take mine in the house to be sure my generator is running correctly during power outages. DON'T WANT TO RUIN MY FLAT SCREEN WITH LOW VOLTAGE.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #14

Cyndi, I did replace the jack with a Husky power jack. You can find a photo of the installation in my album. Also had the Reese Straight line equalizing hitch with sway control installed, photo also included. Hope your recent trip with Ridgeline went well, how did the Honda handle it? Am curious on your response.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #15

OK so I'm a little concerned... Do your windows leak?

We had to have ALL our windows replaced because the dealer had buffed when they were preping the trailer, on our initial walk thru I noticed it and they ordered new windows. I finally took it a few weeks ago and just picked it up last week on Wednesday because we were going camping on Friday. I brought it home washed it and noticed the leaks on the two side windows, I stopped at the dealer on my way camping and they ran water on them to see the leaks. Our windows just slide on to the bracket so to replace them they just slid out the old one and slid in the new one so it's not something the dealer did.

I just spoke with the dealer, said their going to change the rubber seals around the windows to larger seals, is anyone else having this problem?
Reese 66153 SC
Prodigy P3
Old 04-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog4kneer View Post
Cyndi, I did replace the jack with a Husky power jack. You can find a photo of the installation in my album. Also had the Reese Straight line equalizing hitch with sway control installed, photo also included. Hope your recent trip with Ridgeline went well, how did the Honda handle it? Am curious on your response.
I also had the Husky power jack installed ago along with the TV mount and a pull bar on the screen door and rollers on the back end!
Reese 66153 SC
Prodigy P3
Old 04-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #17

We had to have ALL our windows replaced because the dealer had buffed when they were preping the trailer, on our initial walk thru I noticed it

What do you mean - "buffed" - ?
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #18

Kjon73,
There were swirl marks all over them, it looked like they had taken an electric buffer (like one used to detail a car) and used it on the windows.

It was an easy to change them out; they just slide into the bracket at the top of the window.
Reese 66153 SC
Prodigy P3
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
Site Team

Why would they "buff" windows?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #20

Crabman,
Not sure why they buffed them, our windows are acrylic!

We have a few issues with the trailer that we're tying to get worked out. Our biggest problem right is the side windows leak, the dealer said they would contact Jayco for us.

We'll see what happens!
Reese 66153 SC
Prodigy P3