Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #11
Originally Posted by mtam View Post
I can get the wheel off just can't get any wood under it to make it easier to align the hitch when setting up to tow. Not the end of the world for sure.

I'll get some extra wood pieces and metal so the jack will have a solid base.

It's a Swift SLX 145RB. I did add this info somewhere thinking it would populate at the bottom of my posts like I see others. Apparently not. How do I accomplish this?

Thx for the help!!
I assume then you back up to hookup by yourself. I do all the time. I have a friend who bought two magnetic telescoping rods with tennis balls on one end. He puts one on top of the coupler and one on the hitch shank and uses them to guide himself right no. When the balls touch he is in the perfect location. I do it a bit differently. I know I cannot align up perfectly on one try. I back up until I think I am three feet away from the coupler. Get out, step back look at the ball and couple estimate roughly how far off I am side to side, get back in and backup until I think I am about a foot away, making those adjustments that I looked at. Get out, check distances again, to make adjustments. when I get back in the TV, I leave the door open, and hang my left foot out, and us it to estimate how far I need to back up. Usually I am very close using this method. If I am off by a small amount I can push the TT around a bit. Usually I am just a little to far back, and I put my foot on the trailer tongue and my shoulder on the TV and give a little push, as I crack the tongue down. You do not need to be perfectly lined up to make the connection. The ball is round and the TT weights enough so, they will line up, as you crack it down.

Good luck

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
Try raising the trailer as far as possible with the tongue jack and then place a jack stand under the frame. Then retract the the jack tongue until you're able to remove the pin and wheel. If you need to move your trailer by hand then I suggest purchasing a cheap trailer dolly at Harbor Freight or somewhere. Just be careful if you're on a sloping driveway or someother surface. That's how I do it with our 18 S RB.

krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #13
Thanks for all the great advice!!

I can't seem to find the "user CP" to add to signature. Where exactly is that?

mtam is offline   Reply With Quote