Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Hole in the tent end of my new 2016 X23B

Hi folks,

I just picked up my new 2016 Jayco X23B to replace my 2014 Jayco X17Z. After opening it up today to play with it and explore, I noticed a small hole in the tent end fabric. It's large enough to let light through and I realize small holes are "normal" in tent ends, but I wasn't expecting this given it's brand new.

I haven't called the dealer yet, but I really want to have it fixed and/or replaced. Am I crazy to want to replace the entire tent end to fix such a small hole? It's brand new after all and I was hoping/expecting it would be perfect.

Here's what the hole looks like.

Thoughts?

- Scott
2014 Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite X17Z (traded in)
scottystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
"Those tents are not bullet proof........lol". Is it a weaving fault in the fabric or damages on the assembly line? I'm sure Jayco will take care of the problem. Just let your dealer take care of it and do the follow ups. The whole tent should be replaced (and hope you can keep the old one for spare)
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #3

Hard tell exactly what happened, but it's like the fabric in that area is thin, hence causing the hole. It's enough to see light coming through so knowing it's there will bug me given the rest of the tent end (and the other one) looks great. I have a great relationship w/ the dealer so I'm sure they'll take care of me, but a pain to have to tow it back to the dealer when I just got it home.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #4

We have a few like that as well our dealer looked at them and as long as they don't leak all they really could offer was to put some extra patch on the outside. They look like the material has a gap to let the Light in but there is still material keeling the elements out. They tested them last fall when our 23F was in for other warranty issues and did not put any thing noticeable on them, still have another year of warranty so will have to keep a eye on 2 of my tent ends. A little alarming to see the light coming throug.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #5

mlugi - I'm anxious to see how the dealer will handle it, meaning will they take the approach of "wow, we'll get this replaced under warranty ASAP" or "this is normal, we can patch it for you, etc." I'm hoping they replace the entire tent end given the trailer is brand new.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #6

I was hoping for the full replacement as well, let me know what you find out. I will be keeping an eye on those spots this next year. We upgraded from a used 2000 Jayco U10 popup and that canvas was great even after all that time so we had high expectations when we bought our new Hybrid. So far even with a few items that needed attention our family has been very happy and this trailer, it gets some miles on it. We don't stay local with it we have taken many weekend trips 3-5+ hours away and then the longer family trip. We wanted the Hybrid so we could pull it most anywhere.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #7

If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer repairing those small holes it is easy to fix with the products you can find at the WALMART camping section. A dab here and a dab there haha...

I had my new tent trailer home for just a few weeks back in 2008 and next thing I know our big cat is top of the tent bed side chasing a squirrel. He dug in pretty deep with his claws all across the top section... I just filled the small holes with the glue product from WALMART. Never had any leaks from it...

The only real problems I have had with my tent covers is they shrink some after a few years... I really have to stretch things now getting the setup process all in place. I am still using my 2008 OFF-ROAD Popup trailer with no leaks...

The tent material they use today is pretty strong stuff - not like the older canvas material that was very common way back then...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

Let the dealer take care of it. I've had 2 hybirds, our current X20E and an '03 Jayco Kiwi 17a that we had for 10 years. Small holes may develop over time but there should not be any on a brand new unit.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #9

Thanks, DocBrown (awesome name btw). I'll push for the dealer to replace it given it's brand new. Otherwise the unit is mint as you'd expect. Can't wait to get out there, first trip planned for early April.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #10

Thanks, RoyBraddy. I'm more concerned about the the light coming through since it's a reminder that my new trailer already has an issue vs. it leaking or anything like that. I've patched these in the past, but for a brand new unit I'm going to push the dealer to replace.

Tags
fabric, hole, tent, tent-end, warranty