Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #21

My Brother’s PU, has a similar setup. It has held up for years. It is a pain to change the tank, as you have to have a socket wrench with an extension as I recall. I think his PU is from the early 90’s.

It is not pretty, but a 20 pound tank fits snuggly in an old milk crate. Secure the crate to the frame, via a couple Tek screws and washers. Then add a strap to the top, for securing the tank in case of a roll over. Easy to take out, easy to install, rock solid installation. Just not pretty.

I use milk crates to transport my tanks to have them refilled. I have never had one tip over or move around in the back of the truck or car yet.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
A welding shop around here would do that job for less than $50 bucks.
Stop on by and I'll put it all together for a shared beer or two.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #23

My 185 came with the exact same silly bolt set up, but I saw at my dealer that they had a single bottle clamp system that I could easily adapt to my trailer. It obviously came with the full circle clamp system, that was attached to the circle frame with 2 vertical two inch wide metal that went down to a maybe 8 inch wide steel flat plate, so that makes up the unit........that fat plate fits between the two trailer rails where bottle typically is, and that flat plate even touched on the horizontal frame rails enough that I could sheet metal screw it down by predrilling (screws are hid enough no one would know it is easy way to steal tank) then added a cable lock around the whole thing for security . The single tank circle clamp thing was I think $35 . Sorry no pictures the trailer is already tarped for winter. Just wanted to let you know aftermarket providers of this single bottle clamps exist.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #24

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions and verification I wasn't crazy thinking there had to be a better setup. I think I'm leaning towards a dual tank setup, but for a different reason. We use a 20# bottle for our grill and this would give us a place to store it instead of in the TT or TV. We don't really use the LP on the TT for anything except the water heater and occasional stove use. The trailer is so small our electric heater is perfect. I don't think we'll use more than one tank per season on the trailer.
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #25

So here is my solution. Purchase a twin tank mount, a couple 3" u-bolts from Home Depot, some locktite on the threads and all is secure! I had to cut the bolt ends off so the tank would sit properly, but that is it. Easy job.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20151012_165058543.jpg   IMG_20151012_165109789_HDR.jpg  
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote