Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

How to connect a TV to built in Jensen stereo/DVD player

We have a new X17Z with a built in Jensen stereo/DVD player. We want to hook up our TV to the stereo so our kids can watch DVD's. The Jensen has the 3 plug RCA connectors on the back side of the stereo (inside the cabinet), so the only way I can tell to hook the TV to the stereo is to drill a hole in the cabinet and run the RCA cable thru the hole. I don't really want to drill any holes if I don't have to. Am I missing something or is this the only way to make this connection? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
steelerboy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

My TT came with the Jensen Stereo/DVD player as well as a TV. Basically thats what they did. The stereo is located below the TV, which is mounted to the wall. They drilled a hole and brought the wires up to the tv. They did place a plastic insert in the hole. Another idea would be to buy a cheap DVD player and simply plug it into the tv when you want to use it. No drilling, no holes! BTW, at least with mine, the dvds play through the speakers if I want them to.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #3

I guess it depends on what model trailer you have and how the TV is mounted in comparison to the radio. My stereo is connected to the tv via the rca cables through a channel that all my cable wires go through. No drilling necessary in my case.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. Our TT did not come with a TV, just the built in stereo. We added the TV ourselves. The first time out we just brought an old DVD player of ours and used it. The TV and DVD player sit on top of the fridge, which is just to the left of the stereo in the attached picture. It all works. It just clutters up this area with extra stuff and cords. Plus, the DVD player is just one more item to pack/unpack. And with 4 of us in our little TT, space is at a premium. Besides, I'm kind of upset that we have a nice built in stereo/DVD player with no way to easily plug a TV into it. Not sure why Jayco or the dealer didn't add a wall plate or something so all you have to do is plug your TV into the wall plate. This is our first TT, so we're learning on the fly. I'll probably end up drilling a hole in the underside of the stereo cabinet and routing the cables thru there. I'll add a grommet too so that it looks nice and protects the cables/wood.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	8474
Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #5

Thinking... Maybe some sort of Bluetooth extender. Not sure what type of Bluetooth product would work but I bet there's something. I'll look around and let you know if I come up with anything.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

I'm not sure if this would work, but I would think it should. A bluetooth transmitter and receiver.
Receiver:
http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Blu...r+and+receiver
Transmitter:
http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics®-TT...r+and+receiver

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #7

same problem with a 2013 X17A

We are having the same trouble with our new X17A. Has to be an easier solution. I have contacted our local dealer and will let you know what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerboy29 View Post
We have a new X17Z with a built in Jensen stereo/DVD player. We want to hook up our TV to the stereo so our kids can watch DVD's. The Jensen has the 3 plug RCA connectors on the back side of the stereo (inside the cabinet), so the only way I can tell to hook the TV to the stereo is to drill a hole in the cabinet and run the RCA cable thru the hole. I don't really want to drill any holes if I don't have to. Am I missing something or is this the only way to make this connection? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Steelrsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Someone with a X18D posted the same question a couple of weeks ago. It seems that there is no consistency on how Jayco delivered these. Their X18D also does not have the cables coming out by the TV and their TV shelf is on the opposite side from the Jensen. Our X20E on the other hand has the cables coming out by the TV shelf through a grommet and our TV is on the opposite side also. Go figure.

Also, you may be interested to know that the left and right audio cables are NOT audio out, they are audio in. So they will not send audio to the TV. If you want them to be audio out, you will need one of these (Line Output Converter) to convert the "B" channel speaker output to line level RCA connections. We had to do this to take advantage of the headphone jack on the TV because our Jensen is a model model without a headphone jack.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #9

So I finally got around to fixing this. What I ended up doing was drilling a hole in the underside of the cabinet that the stereo is in. I ran one end of my RCA cable thru the hole and plugged it into the backside of the stereo. I added a rubber grommet to make it look nice and protect the cable. The TV end of the cable just sits coiled up on top of the fridge when the TV is not hooked up (like while traveling). I wasn't crazy about drilling a 3/4" hole in a brand new TT, but it seemed like the easiest and cleanest solution to my problem. It works great and the little woman was happy with how it looks, so it's all good. The kids are happy too as now they have surround sound and they say it's like being at the movie theater. Nothing says "camping" like watching a movie on a new LCD TV with stereo surround sound while in the cool comfort of an air conditioned camper while eating microwave popcorn..... Not exactly the canvas tent experience that I grew up with.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #10

Nothing says "camping" like watching a movie on a new LCD TV with stereo surround sound while in the cool comfort of an air conditioned camper while eating microwave popcorn..... Not exactly the canvas tent experience that I grew up with.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad we are not the only ones...new TT and new 40 inch tv with built in surround...teen boys, microwave popcorn and campfire forgotten. On the bright side..no more "I'm bored" at 8pm.
Leigh and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #11

If your stereo has an AUX input then just get a cable from radio shack plug it into the Headphone jack of the TV or DVD player and put it into the AUX jack on the stereo. If there is no headphone jack just get the converter cables from RCA to headphone plug and do the same thing. just keep the volume down on the TV/ DVD player. Hook my computeruplikethis all the time and watch movies on it.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #12

Hello!

I got same problems, and then i decide to switch to tv with built in dvd player, so i really can't do much things for that, and there is always some problems or something, can't even 2h siting and enjoy. So i would recommend a tv with built in dvd player for you guys. Sry for my bad English.
Klikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #13

My new White Hawk came with the Jensen stereo/DVD unit and a 40' flatscreen. I hated the sound of the television speakers when watching regular over the air programing but when we popped in a DVD it would play through the TT speakers that were a bit better. I discovered the same thing an earlier poster here did. The back of the Jensen stereo has 3 RCA ports. One is video out (yellow), one is audio IN red and the other in audio INwhite. I followed these 3 RCA cables to the television and they were plugged into the video in (yellow - which makes sense) and the the two others were plugged into the audio in (red & white) which did not make sense. I simply unplugged the red and white RCA jacks on the back of the TV and replugged them into the audio OUT on the back of the television and now I get my flat panel to play trhough the TT speakers when watching over the air signals. Additionally, I added a Blu Ray player to the TV with an HDMI cable and now that too play over the TT speakers. Last thing I did was to go to the menu settings of the television and disable the televisions internal speakers since they sound so poorly. It was just too easy of an mod!!!
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #14

I decided just to install a RCA wall plate jack so I can hook up an output from the iRV entertainment system. I order the parts from showmecables.com. I removed the iRV system from the cabinet. I was going to mount the RCA wall plate on the side wall to the left of the iRV system. After measuring the space there, it was very close and I didn't want to take the chance of cutting a hole and it not fitting. I decided to mount it on the bottom side of the cabinet below the iRV system. I used four wood screws to mount it to the cabinet. I have an A/V cable (red, white, yellow) connected inside the cabinet from the output on the back side of the iRV system to the inner side of the RCA wall plate. Then you just have to run an A/V cable from the RCA wall plate to the television.
I had contacted Jayco regarding this and their response was that because a television was not an option for the x17z, they do not install the hookup for the DVD player. That doesn't make much sense to me because they install a antenna, a 12v television outlet, cable/satellite hookups, and the trailer is advertised as having a DVD player, yet no access to function the DVD player. Jayco advised me that I could contact my dealer to have it hooked up. I love my Jayco trailer, but what are they thinking? I hope this may help anyone with the same issue.

I have attached a photo of the finished project.

Here are the parts to make up the RCA wall plate:

Order Summary

Part Number Description Qty Unit Price Ext. Price
IC107DI3BK Keystone Decora Insert - 3 Port – Black 1 $1.56 $1.56
IC107B6GBK RCA F/F Coupler Keystone - White Insert - Black 1 $3.41 $3.41
IC107Y6GBK ICC RCA F/F Coupler Keystone - Yellow Insert - Black 1 $3.41 $3.41
IC107R6GBK RCA F/F Coupler Keystone - Red Insert - Black 1 $3.41 $3.41
IC107DFSBK ICC Decora Wall Plate - Single Gang - Black 1 $1.46 $1.46
Total: $13.25
Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #15

Thanks . . . perfect way to solve the problem, got my parts in the mail yesterday.
Steelrsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to jflipping
We have a 2013 jayco seneca 36fk and we want to connect a dvd player to the tv over the fireplace ....any ideas
jflipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #17

We have the X17A and I used the RCA cables to connect our tv. Drilled two small holes in cabinet where Jensen is located then ran the RCA cables into the storage area above the bunk. Drilled one more small hole and so the RCA cables hang down right behind the bunk curtain. Didn't take very long. Good Luck!!
tth3180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #18

Bring it on

Not that I much care, but understanding I may risk severe pushback, I think the problem here isn't so much technical, as systemic. Seems to me "camping" isn't really that - but as my son termed it, "remote moteling". It's certainly only my observation, but were one of my children or even grandkids advise me, "I'm bored" in a camping venue (or even a campground), I'd feel I'd failed in demonstrating the joys and advantages being away from the tech "necessities" , e.g. - campfire, fishing, hunting, hiking, et al., provide. Then, I suppose we're a product of our environment, but a little something other than electronic entertainment might be refreshing. As the Title on this particular Reply implies, I stand by for a ram.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote