Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Info on 23K

Thinking about trading up from my 19H to the 23K. Only about 600 lbs heavier, but a lot more storage space and separate bunks for the kids. I know we'll be losing the couch/sofa, but the trade off for everything else doesn't bother us. Anyone have knowledge about this particular model that can offer their opinion would be appreciated. There is a new Jayco dealer opened in Fredericton, NB and they had a big grand opening this past weekend, unfortunately, I think the 23K model was the only one not there for us to look at.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #2

Have a look at some of the changes for the 2012 model year for the Ultra Lights I posted.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showpost....3&postcount=12

It looks like Jayco is discontinuing the 23K. If you want one you'll need to find a dealer with a 2011 as you won't be able to order a 2012. Obliviously verify this with a Jayco dealer.

- Justin
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #3

Hi BlueBrick,

We purchased our 23K in the fall here in Ottawa. Unfortunatly, we couldn't purchase a tow vehicle until this spring because we were locked into a lease. Now that we are all set up, we are picking up our 23K first thing Saturday morning.

We purchased the 23K because it is a lightweight and we wanted to tow with an SUV.

When shopping, we found that we had to compromise one element (either a couch, storage or bunks). In the end, we decided to compromise on the couch because after all, we are camping and we'll spend most of our time outdoors. We were also attracted to the back door because it allows to easily put in our bikes. Finally, the lenght is reasonable. As a first time tower, I didn't want to pull anything that was too long.

I agree with you, the storage in this trailer is phenominal.

I can't really think of a negative. We may have issues with the smaller water tanks. We usually go hunting for a week in the fall, without any hook ups. So, that might be problematic.

Now, I just need to figure out how to set up my 13 month old daughter for the night. Perhaps a baby gate at the end of the bottom bunk... but I'm a bit concerned that she might be able to eventually open the back door.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to contact me. I'll be in a better position to respond as of this weekend. Our first camping trip is scheduled for Victoria Day long weekend.

2011 Jayfeather 23K
2007 Ford Explorer - Eddie Bauer - V8
Husky Centreline Towing System

:Canada:
nathanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #4

Yeah, we were looking to trade before the May 24 weekend, you know, before we load everything into the old trailer. Doesn't look like that's going to happen though. the new local dealer said they were expecting a 23K in by Thursday or Friday of this week. After much going around I finally found out tonight that they won't be getting it until who knows when because when the transporting company(third party) went to pick it up on the 9 May, it wasn't ready. Supposedly we have first look when it come in to see if we want it and put an offer in as there are two other parties interested in the 23K model. After this much dancing and messing around, I'd expect a heckuva good deal. We shall see.
So, I guess we'll be "roughing it' in our 19H for another couple of weeks until the new one comes in and we decide if we want to trade up after all.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #5

Went and saw the trailer today. We loved the the layout and storage space. Started brokering the deal and wanted to find out if my A/C cover would fit this unit, so climbed up on the front propane tanks for a look and found the aluminum strip that covers the gap between the rubber roof and front panel was lifted out of the chaulking in two places.

I'm concerned that water got in and caused or will cause some delaminating of the front panel and roof. We put a conditional offer in to hold the trailer as two other parties are interested in this same trailer. Wonder what the more experienced people on here think of this quality issue? Will it cause problems down the road that we'll be responsible to fix or will it be okay if it's fixed now? Any and all opinions are welcome.

Keep in mind that it was also just towed from Indiana to New Brunswick in spring weather and the gap is in the leading edge of the aluminum strip so any rain encountered during the trip would have been forced into the exposed areas.

Steve
Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #6

Well we're now the new owners of the 23K. They fixed the roof trim piece and assured us that no water got in there as it's sealed under that piece as well. Very happy with the trailer. Started putting all or stuff in from the old trailer last night and head out today for the first week end of hopefully many more this simmer.
Cheers
Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #7

Been away for a good while - I've posted my issues with the same aluminum strip but never continued the story (even posted pictures on this forum).

Our jayco 23k also had the strip bridging the gap between the rubber membrane and the fiberglass front. Same problem - the aluminum strip had lifted leaving a gap for water to enter. The trailer was only 'weeks' old so took it into the dealer in Ottawa. They were unhappy that I'd returned, and pushed in a bunch of screws & piled on a crapload of caulk to "fix" the problem.

A year later, a move to BC, and the caulking was pretty much gone. Long-story-short, had the trailer looked at by an independent dealer who, after investigation, determined that the repairs had been substandard and hid a slice in the roof, probably caused by the previous "repairs".

I now have a new roof, installed without the aluminum kick-plate jayco used, but rather the correct transition piece. Cost Jayco a bunch, but they're in the process of paying.

My advice - enjoy the trailer ... we love ours ... but before your 2-year warranty is up have a really, really close look at that aluminum piece and decide for yourself if you want to push for proper repairs (silicone doesn't cut it). I'm no expert, but I suspect that the heat/cool cycle causes that strip to expand and retract, eventually causing it to lift. Not sure why they chose that method, but they did.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #8

Now that you have it ... how does it tow with the Nissan? My v8 envoy is good, but more power would be nice.

Other issues we had - mouldings of the shelves in the large closet beside the fridge came off (they're only stapled). The cupboard doors expanded (swelled) over time and would no longer close...all covered under warranty.

Also, although not a Jayco issue but a dealer problem, the battery was garbage and was replaced last week.

Don't misunderstand, however - we really love the layout, the way it tows and the comfort of an almost-queen-sized-bed!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #9

Funny I never found your thread when I was researching the 23K. I did a visual on the roof before I started negotiations and made sure it was fixed. They assured me that no water ever got into the roof as it is double sealed. We shall see.
You say they totally redid your roof and removed the aluminum strip? How did they tie in the rubber roof and front fiberglass panel? You mention the proper transition piece. Any pix of that.
It tows quite well with the Nissan, however I had to install a sway bar after the shakedown cruise demonstrated that one was desperately needed. More power would be nice too, but we'll manage. You may need more living on the west coast with all the mountains, but I'll bet it towed good on the prairies.
As you suggested, I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on it and get the repairs done while under warranty, if needed.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #10

Late response - sorry!

I've no pictures of the repair yet, but will try to do so. The aluminum piece that was originally up on the roof was actually a kick-plate (at least as was explained to me). The Aluminum expands & retracts in the heat and will eventually warp (again, as explained to me). The 'correct' way to marry-up the roof to the fiberglass front is via a plastic trim which is attached to a wood stud. The trim locks in the rubber roof somehow and it's waterproofed via caulking. The rubber roof was completely replaced because during the original repair the rubber was apparently stretched & cut with a knife, then sealed with caulking. This would eventually fail, and certainly is not within the original manufacturing specifications!

I purchased a mid-range sway-bar right away. The length of the trailer made that a necessity in my opinion, and it came in handy during our trip across. I thought driving across the prairies would be a breeze, but boy was I wrong! We fought heavy winds all the way across and it was probably the most stressful part of our cross-Canada trip. The mountains were nuthin' after that!

My Envoy pulls her fine, but I'd like more power as well, although it isn't a necessity... if the hills slowed us down people simply pass us on by, and that was fine by me!

Enjoy the trailer - we certainly do!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonk View Post

My Envoy pulls her fine, but I'd like more power as well, although it isn't a necessity... if the hills slowed us down people simply pass us on by, and that was fine by me!
I should mention, my envoy is the extended version with the 5.3 V8....

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #12

I agree, I'm not going to win any drag races, especially uphills. I cruise about 100-105 kph and let it slow a little on the hills to reduce the strain on the drivetrain. If others want to go around me, they do so and if I can make it easier for them to do so, I will.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #13

jayfeather 23K

congrats on you new jayfeather, I have the same model and my family loves it, and no problems with mine worth talking about and we are on our second summer with this unit. Hope your travel trailer gives you and your family years of worry free fun.
dj'stoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #14

Jay Feather

I also bought a new Jay Feather 28U. It is about a month old now and my wife and I really love it. We bought it from a Jayco Dealer from Winfield BC. It is located just outside of Kelowna. We towed it home to the coast over a large mountain range and I just could not believe how well it towed with our Silverado half ton. The only thing I have noticed while towing on the I-5, is the small pull you feel if a tractor trailer passes too close to you. A anti sway device would not help in these situations and I find most large trucks will give you a little room. I've decided against getting one for now.

So far I have put the smoke colored vents from CW over bathroom and bedroom vents. I also installed the Camco screen door hold bar which was a cheap and great mod. Last week I ran a dedicated 30 amp circuit out to the front of my house where I park the trailer in the summer between trips. I also added the antenna add on for ota Hd channels you can get while traveling south of the boarder. Next came the dual X chocks, and today I picked up a small Tv bracket for the bedroom TV.

Future mods are in the works . Re routing the power cord so I can use the cabinet between the living room chairs as a cabinet and not a utility box. I met a guy in Oregon who made his own leveling system. I might do the same. A guy on another forum installed one on his fifth wheel controlled by a PLC. I might marry the two ideas together and see what I can come up with.

The only problems with my unit so far have been one door catch which was not set right and the door lock which i've fixed. I still need to align a small strip of wallpaper. We went to 6 RV shows prior to buying our trailer. I bought our trailer over the Internet sight unseen. Our salesman told us that 50 percent of their business is done that way. I'm really impressed with this Jayco product so far.

Enjoy your summer. Richard.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #15

Updating this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBrick View Post
They assured me that no water ever got into the roof as it is double sealed. We shall see.

My trailer is heading for the Jayco dealer to repair/replace the delaminating front panel. They may end up replacing as I don't think any repairs can be done to a vaccuum bonded panel once it delaminates. Should be interesting to see how they ship a complete front clip without damaging it.

The roof above the front wardrobes/cupboards is all wavy and the unit is separating from the roof/front panel. There's rust on the staples that hides the seam joining the front to the roof, so there is irrefutable proof that water did indeed get inside the seam before they got it sealed up. I really hope they do this repair right as I don't like the thought of a new trailer having to have whole panels replaced.

This shakes my trust in Jayco's reliability
Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #16

Keep us updated...a disappointing turn of events, no doubt. We found the original dealer in Ottawa was poor in service & did a really shoddy repair. We've no indications of delamination or water inside (yet). Unfortunately for us, our warranty time is now over....

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #17

Well, good news. A whole new front clip/wall was ordered in Oct/Nov sometime and should be in any day. They said hopefully should be done in a week or so if the panel comes in on time. I'm going to send them a couple of links to this forum so they can see I'm not the only one who's had this problem with this particular trailer. Hopefully they do not use the same aluminim strip to join the roof and front together again or I fear the same problem may arise.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #18

Update

The trailer was completed yesterday and they sent me an Email notification saying so. Today was cloudy with low enough temps that the snow and ice on the sides of the road would stay frozen, so off I went to Moncton to pick it up(about an hour and a half drive). They did a great job on the repair and I hope no more issues arise with this as they did not use the same aluminum strip to join the front wall to the roof. If I can get some pix of the new piece in between snowfalls, I try to post them. I have the before pix, just couldn't figure out how to post them one day. I'll work on that.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #19

Interior damage from leaking exterior

Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #20

Exterior shots of replaced fron wall

Kind of hard to see the new piece joining the roof and front wall under all the chaulking but I believe it to be like the one used to make the same repair as McMonks 23K. I guess they really wanted to make sure this issue never cropped up again.