Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

Installing roof vent ???

Well, we have our new 24T and I am pleased with pretty much everything after giving up the big fully loaded motorhome. I feel the need to make some mods to feel more like mine own. The only vent is in the bathroom. I'm use to having one in the main living area and bedroom. It just doen't seem like enough ventalation with only the one roof vent. So, I am going to install a fan powered roof vent in the bedroom as I like more air at night while sleeping. Has anyone done an installation?
Thanks for a great forum...

Bob
mstang64bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #2

Shouldnt be that difficult to do but you need to make sure ther are no wires etc running in that area, I would think Jayco could provide you this info. Sooo....since its new I would reccomend having the dealer put it in (for warranty reasons/or if a roof leak develops down the road).
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #3

X2 on the suggestion to have the dealer do it. It wouldn't be worth a few $ to possibly mess up your warranty (even though you may do a better job).

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #4

Hopefully you have a 12V source in the area where you are planning on putting the vent. If you decide to do it yourself (and even if you don't) contact Jayco and ask for the diagrams for that area as well as the 12V and 120V diagrams. You would probably be able to locate the most appropriate location with a stud finder, and you would need to frame out the opening.

Aside from some cost savings, I wonder why Jayco elected to omit the vent from the bedroom?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
Shouldnt be that difficult to do but you need to make sure ther are no wires etc running in that area, I would think Jayco could provide you this info. Sooo....since its new I would reccomend having the dealer put it in (for warranty reasons/or if a roof leak develops down the road).
I'll third that.
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The following link may be helpful: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/26069757.cfm

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #7

I may be reading this different but it sounds to me like you want to install a fan in your existing bedroom vent. This is something that shouldn't be too difficult. The wiring for the fan should be under the bezel once you get it off. You only need to buy the cheaper one way fan but maybe one with different speeds or a rheostat. If I want a slight breeze to come thru the bedroom vent, I turn on the bathroom exhaust fan. It pulls a gentle breeze thru the bedroom vent. Works great. Btw I agree that Jayco could have added one more vent in the living room. The link provided by Bob was very good for this and may be a future mod.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #8

Thanks for the help...

Thank you everyone for your input. I had planned to do this mod myself, however I wasn't thinking about the warranty since this is a new tt. I spoke with my dealer who confirmed that the warranty would be void if I did this mod. So...I will have the dealer install the vent for about $350.00..

Thanks for the great advise..
Bob
Old 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #9

No roof vent....Bummer

I got a call from my dealer, Jayco will void the roof warranty even if a dealer installs a roof vent. Since the bedroom area can get stuffy and no air moving, now I'm thinking of going to a oscillating/wall mount fan, has anyone have any luck with this idea, or perhaps suggest something else that would work?

Thanks, Bob
Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #10

^ Bummer.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote