Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Doc

Is an annual tune up needed for new Jayco's

I have a one year old X213 and would like opinions on taking the trailer to the dealer for a check-up/tune-up. I want to keep the Jayco warranty in force.
My nearest Jayco dealer is about 50 miles away.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

I don't think that there is actually a "tune up" procedure for a trailer, but I'll tell you what I think it is most important to keep an eye on. An owner can check all or most of this. I'm sure the list is not inclusive of everything, so others will hopefully chime in with other items:

1) With respect to the Jayco warranty, according to Jayco it is the owner's responsibility to make sure that all caulk is free of cracks and adhesion issues and also that any area needing caulking is caulked, whether or not Jayco caulked it at the factory. Or Jayco will not cover water damage issues. I'd really suggest you get your dealer to do this during the warranty period, not because it is difficult, but because it makes a repair record that is proof it has been done.

2) Brake adjustment and operation, including break away brake operation

3) Frame - cracks, problems

4) tires - unusual wear or damage; air pressure; spare? and a way to change a tire

5) exterior driving light operation

6) battery maintenance - are they properly full of fluid? Corrosion? Loose wires?

7) hitch operation and bolt torque

8) propane system - leaks? operation?

9) interior lights, appliances, doo-dads.

Please post additions to the list. Do we have a "sticky" on this and do we need one?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #3

That's a hard question to answer. I think the dealer inspection is unnecessary unless you have a specific concern. On the other hand, there are maintenance items you are responsible for. If you are uncomfortable about maintaining your trailer, a dealer inspection could be a good idea. I suggest you check your owners manual for what needs to be done and consider doing it yourself first.

Use this forum for any advice you need or want. I always get a good answer to any question I have about maintenance or repair from the forum members.

Your warranty is in force for 2 years. That's one of Jayco's selling points - and a good one!
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

We got our trailer in 08/12 & took it out a few times that year. We started a list of things that we noticed would need adjusting or replacing that fall & the entire 2013 camping season. By the end of the season, we had A decent list...stuff like replacing the kitchen faucet that leaked, replacing the cracked bezel around the shower skylight, replace the sliding bedroom door that had chipped on one of the edges because it was never properly adjusted prior to delivery, put a screen in the sliding window by the dinette & tightening this or that, etc. When we were finished camping last season, we made an appointment with our dealer & took the trailer in to have the work done & get it winterized. They kept it for about 6 weeks, a good part of which was waiting for parts to come in. But they got it all done & it was all under warranty. The only thing left to do is to install the sliding door which they will do in the Spring when we take it in for de-winterizing which will take an hour or so. The point here is to make sure you keep a detailed list & make sure you get it in before your warranty period is up!

2013 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
RDUBYA448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Doc

Thank you all for your input. This is the first new RV I have had and the upkeep on my other campers, all pop-ups, was very simple. Your advice is very welcome and I'll continue to stay up on things through the forum. You guys are tops.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #6

There is no required dealer maintenance/tune up required to keep your warranty. If you are comfortable with doing maintenance then I would do it yourself, if not bring it in to your dealer and let them.

One key item I would do is check for leaks, start at the roof, and look for caulking that is cracking, then look at the exterior lights, doors, windows, hatches, corners, etc. You may not notice anything this year, but next year, there will be a strong chance you will find cracked caulking. I notice a bit on my 2 year old HTT this fall, on the roof and on the corner beads.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I have a one year old X213 and would like opinions on taking the trailer to the dealer for a check-up/tune-up. I want to keep the Jayco warranty in force.
My nearest Jayco dealer is about 50 miles away.
We have had ours for almost 2 yrs, been in for one warranty issue for the electric jack....they replaced it with a brand new heavy duty one....no issues with warranty. It has never been in for service. It will go in this spring for a once over just to make sure the brakes are still good,
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #8

Don't for get to repack the grease in the bearings according the maintenance schedule. If you have EZ lube axels, there are a lot of utube videos showing the procedure.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote