Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Jay Flight SLX 175 RD TV Mounting and Size Question

Hello,

I am going to be taking delivery of a 2017 Jay Flight SLX 175 RD later this month. I was going to have the dealership install a external cable connector, and add TV mount to the current dining area rather than placing TV on narrow shelf of the floor mounted entertainment cabinet. The power and antennae connections are located in the roof above the cabinet. They gave me an estimate of $500+ dollars (no TV included) to do this so I decided I would try to do this myself.

Has anybody with a 175RD or similiar floor entertainment cabinet added a TV mount to the wall above the entertainment cabinet or to the dining area/bathroom wall adjacent to the entertainment cabinet??

I am looking for information on mount used along with size of screws used to mount to wall, whether or not you had to add additional support to the walls, and what size of LED TV you installed.

Thank you.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

I used this mounted to the outside wall just to the left of the bathroom wall. I used this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/SIIG-Full...Mount/16480792
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Element-E...-HDTV/38661262

Pull out your head unit most likely a Boss unit. Mine had exposed wire that I soldered and heat shrinked because they did a crap job of crimping that caused a fuse to blow.
CoCanCarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

I have the same camper and am planning to try to mount a 24" Vizio in the same place. I bought a mount that I think will work although the tv itself is about 2 inches wider than the space between the window valance and the bathroom wall. This the mount I have ordered:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a 73" long stud about 43" from the end wall that I think I'll mount it to. But it's only 1 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/8 thick so will use a stud finder and shorter screws than the 2" long ones that come with the mount. I can PM the inside wall diagrams I got from Jayco to you if you'd like them and I can figure out how to do a PM on this forum.

I am not a carpenter and this is my first camper so don't rely on what I'm doing to be the correct way. Just trying my best to figure it all out on my own.
bbeebop1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #4

I talked to Jayco customer support and they said there is a 5/8x15x15 piece of plywood put in toward the top of the left bathroom wall facing the dining area that is meant to be a TV backer for mounting a TV. If you have a schematic of the bathroom wall for the 175RD it is item #9. You would center the mount as close as possible to the center of the plywood.

This might be an alternative to mounting on the outside wall on a stud and not having to angle the TV as much for viewing from any position in the U shaped sitting area. I think that is where I will try and mount mine when I get to it which probably won't be till later in the summer.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #5

Thank you. That would be a convenient location for a tv if you're sitting at the back of the dinette against the big window wall. I'll have to look at that area again. Plus, I'm going to need much shorter screws. Can you tell how much space there is once the screws go into the plywood? I'm not exactly sure what it means when it says the accent wall panel (#6) is 3.4 x 34 7/8 x 73. Is that 3/4" thick? That doesn't sound right. Can you tell I'm a bit nervous about drilling holes in the walls? ;-)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

I'm not sure what the 3.4 means for the accent panel. I don't think it means 3.4 inches or 3/4 inch because they are illustrated as being thinner than the plywood which is 5/8" and they feel pretty thin. Since they are using 1x2s for cross support I would think there is less than 1/4 inch behind the plywood on the bathroom side since the plywood is flush mounted on the dining facing side.

Technical support also said that the tv backer board should support 20-25 lbs of weight. In looking at tv and articulating wall mount weights it looks like 24 inch Led tv with articulating wall mount is around 20 lbs. 28-32 inch tvs look around 16 lbs and articulating mounts around 8 lbs which is a little to close to the support max for me. I would think a non articulating wall mount would weigh less.

I share your nervousness about drilling and screwing into that wall.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #7

I got this 24" Vizio and it is only about 7.5 pounds. https://www.vizio.com/tvs/dseries/d24he1.html The mount I'm using weighs 2.4 pounds so I"ll be ok weight-wise. The mount comes with 2" long screws which I know are too long. I bought new ones that are 1.25" long. There is about 1/4" from the base of the top of the screw (when put into the hole in the mount) to the wall. I just don't think anything shorter will support the mount and tv and hold them on the wall. I'll let you know if I learn anything else.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #8

Gosh, called Jayco and didn't get anywhere. The lady I spoke to pulled up the drawings and since that backer board is marked "proto" she said she could not advise me to install the TV there because the board might not actually exist. Also she said since there was no TV sticker on the wall when I bought it, she wouldn't recommend installing a TV at all and just to set it on the little shelf over the cabinet that holds the radio. Did your camper have a sticker? She looked at some later drawings that were also marked "proto" but had some measurements. The backer board starts 14 1/8" from the inside edge of the wall and goes left 15" towards the outside wall. It butts up against the top and comes down 15". She did say they only recommend using washer head screws that are no longer than 3/4".

I can tell there is something firm behind that area in the wall and am pretty sure it's the plywood. I think I'll drill one hole in that area and see what I find. I'll let you know.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

Got it installed this afternoon. The Jayco lady I talked to gave me wrong information. To find the center of the backer board, measure 14 1/8" from the outside wall and add 7.5" to the right. Then measure 7.5" down from the ceiling. I did hit wood but only drilled 5/8" in. Put a wire through the test hole and found the other wall just a bit over 3/4". I used 1" screws rather than the 2" ones that came with the mount. I hope it holds! It feels very sturdy even when moving it in different positions and will work well in that location.

I put a quick release bracket on both the tv and mount so I can just lift the tv up and off when I move the camper. Also use the same tv in my guest room in the house and installed the same mount in that room. The job would have been quicker with 2 people but got it done with only 3 mistake holes to fill ( first practice hole and 2 in the wrong places because I didn't allow space to lift the tv up). Filled them with an almond-colored caulk and they are well-hidden.

Good luck with your project and have fun camping!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #10

I'm jealous that you already have yours done !

Could you post a picture of your final product and what mount and quick releases you used?? Please.

I think my 32 inch may be too close of a viewing distance so I may have to buy a 24 inch model. If I do I will look into getting a set that will also run on battery since I'm adding solar panels rather than using a gas generator when off grid.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #11

Here's a link to the mount:

Here's one to the release bracket:

I'll have to PM photos of what mine looks like now. Can't figure out how to attach photos here.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #12

Aha! Found it! Here are the photos. Well, you'll have to turn your head sideways for two of them.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-06-22 19.01.12.jpg   2017-06-22 19.05.18 (450x800).jpg   2017-06-22 19.00.25 (450x800).jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 05:00 AM   #13

Sorry, I haven't posted any photo's yet, they will be posted as soon as I get to the TT. The photos will look much like the ones just posted just with the TV mounted on the side wall. Nice job by the way.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #14

Got the pics. I hope you can see the joint tape on the wall, this is the location of the stud.
Attached Thumbnails
TV1.jpg   TV2.jpg   TV3.jpg   TV4.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #15

Nice job yall!

We have the same camper, but just leave the TV on the stand since it doubles as our kitchen TV in our home.

Maybe we should just get another and leave this one like you have.
TMatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #16

I use my tv in my guest room as well as in the camper. So, I added a quick-release bracket to the back of the tv and also to both the mount in the camper and the wall mount in the bedroom. It makes it easy to take the tv off the wall and lay it flat for traveling, too.