Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #1

Unhappy Jay Flight Swift SLX 184BH /2013 Air Conditioning Problem

Just bought a 2013 184BH Swift. We were so excited about our first trip. Looked at several TT and thought the Swift would be a good choice for getting started. First time out AC would not cool. Water poured onto the bedding and cushions. Had to but towels down to protect cushions. Spent most the day in 92 degree weather and ended up returning home about midnight without spending one night in the tt. Called dealer while at cc and person said we should of started ac on low (manufacturers manual says start on high until it is cool enough). After getting home we talked to several Jayco dealers in the south and Jayco personnel and it was found that Jayco changed midyear 2012 production to start installing 8000 btu Frigidaire units in the 184bh because too many dealers were getting complaints about the 5000 btu ac that was installed before Dec 2012 (mid-year production for Jayco). We confirmed the model/serial # and found out that our tt was built at factory 3 months before the change over to 8000 btu. We bought our TT at Dunlaps in Lebanon,TN and they were not much help. Said they would send it to their sub-contractor (Jun 26th) and couldn't start working on it until Jul 2nd. They said we would have to take the problem to Jayco, called them and they said they make changes all the time, not because there is a problem. We've esculated a call to CEO, but was told he never answers his phone. We still think the Jayco band is a good one (except for the 5000 btu a/c) which is too small and will not cool enough in the southern states. I inquired about the air temp and how long the ac had been on when the dealer gave us a walk through on the trailer. His response was that the gauge was on low, it would cool better. Hummmm. We lost our camp ground fees on our 1st trip and now we have lost our 4th of July plans in the process. I have looked forward to retirement for years and this is how it starts out. Totally disappointed in the service we have received from Jayco. Anyone else have problems with AC on this model?
GBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #2

As for the water coming in the window, it is a well documented problem that is under a factory recall. Your dealer should not have let it leave without fixing it. Next... I am very interested to know that there is an 8000 btu option available. I have been studying the option of putting a rooftop air unit in, but this 8000 btu AC might just make me change my mind.

The 5000 btu unit is entirely inadequate. It is a great little camper that just needs help cooling down. There are a few oth things that I'd have done differently, but that is part of the fun with the camper. I'll make it the way I want it.

You'll enjoy the camper soon enough. Sorry for your problems as I sympathize with you. I am not retired and I have only had my camper nearly a year, but we have already made a lot of fun family memories with it.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

I find the 5000 btu unit to be ok in our 2012 184bh until it gets over 90, then it is barely sufficient. We have to run a fan at the back of the trailer to force air into the bunks. I will be looking into getting the 8000 btu unit installed if possible.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #4

We also have the Swift 184BH and the AC could not keep the camper remotely cool in the Arizona heat. We had an 8000 BTU AC sitting in our shed. We swapped the units, with some work since the 8000 unit was bigger. Yesterday the high was 105 and the 8000 BTU unit worked great. We also cut a port hole in the wall with the bunks to help the BH area stay cool since it tends to stay warm. I have a few pictures under my profile of the mod we did. My IPAD will not let add the picture here.
Pugpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. The pictures of your mods are very helpful. We'll wait and see what repairs the dealer does to the ac unit. We'll have to wait until the 2 yr war. is up before any mods are made. One possibility is to trade it in for a 2014 model that now comes with a 8000 btu ac. It's a shame because any of the 184bh/2013 models manufactured after Dec 2012 have the 8000 btu ac. This is a wonderful site and have learned so much reading it. I looking forward to hitting the road. We tent camped when our son was young and had a 22' TT about 20 years ago. Didn't use it much because we worked constantly, so sold it. Thanks again for our response.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #6

I am hoping everything turns out and we can find a solution. Looking back we have great family memories too, tent camping for years and a TT (20 years ago)that never got used much because we were constantly working. We have looked into a 8000 btu unit by Frig and it doesn't cost much. The thing is, the size is larger and trailer would have to be cut to size. Not an option right now since we just bought it. There is a post about a 8000 btu mod done that is very helpful.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #7

Are you a Good Sam member? If so they have a service that might be able to assit you in resolving your issue with either Jayco or your dealer. After having witnessed them help a buddy I purchased a membership just to be safe.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #8

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. We bought a 2008 197 in 2011. It was a nifty little trailer. I discovered that the bolts to hold the rooftop unit were not tightened. No harm came of it, as I noticed a little dribble of water on the floor, after a rain. Luckily it was at home at the time, and I fixed it myself. Afterward, I noticed on this site that lots of people were finding the same thing.

We traded the 2008 last year for a 2012 197. It had many improvements, mainly a pull-out, a bigger bathroom, and electric awning, and a much better layout in general.

Too bad the dealer didn't point out that a larger a/c was available on the later serial numbers. No doubt they knew this.

Don't be discouraged. Hang in there. I have never camped with a trailer, neither has my wife. We have only used it once, so far. We plan on going to the Yukon this summer, so I have been trying to find all the bugs while still around home. Here's my latest performance: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...overnight-camp
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #9

Can you talk a little more about what Good Sam might be able to help with? I might be joining purely based upon your argument to help rectify this situation.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #10

Yes, we are Good Sam members. The thought occured to me, but haven't looked into it yet. Thanks for the reminder. Has anyone used a portable air conditioning unit?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #11

The 2014 185RB I purchased says it has an 8000 BTU unit in it on the options sheet for the trailer. I have not picked it up from the dealer yet so I can't look at it and verify. Maybe they have been listening to you guys that the 5000 is to small. I hope they have addressed the leaking thing also so I don't have to. Not sure how much I will use it here in Upstate New York anyway. I usually have not had a site with electric anyway in the past. When I pick it up on the 18th I will post my findings and the model of the AC unit maybe it has the same dimensions. Does anyone have any pictures of that gutter modification? I can't remember if I seen anything like that on the trailer.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #12

Honestly, have them run the trailer for a couple of hours before you pick it up, then check around the inside of the window (outside too). As far as a gutter, I have had great luck with just getting a thick piece of cotton rope and threading a thick wire through it. Wick the water away. So easy and works flawlessly.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #13

After reading this thread I went out and checked my 2013 184BH. There were no markings or stickers indicating the AC BTUs but the instruction manual (which is also for the 5000-8000 models so no help there either) had a warranty card with the model number. I had to google search the serial to find out that I do apparently have an 8000 btu unit. So far we haven't had very hot weather or any problems with our unit.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #14

Update on a/c problem. Shop said they would have to remove the a/c, order a part and would check to see if the unit was installed properly. We will have them run it awhile before we accept it. That will not take care of the fact that the 5000 btu unit is too small to cool the tt. Your right there is no info on unit or in the manufacture's manual about the btu's on the 2013. We found out the btu's by talking to Frigidaire. They are the ones that told us that the units were changed to 8000 btu mid year production because of the complains in the southern states. We talked to a couple of tech people at Jayco and they didn't address the issue of btu and wouldn't help us with any suggestions to modify to use a portable a/c. They didn't know any more than we did. The 2014 specs show that the changes made were decorative trim, logo and 8000 btu a/c. So the 2014 should be ok.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #15

the 2013 jayco pamphlet I have on the slx models indicates they all now have 8000 btu units. if they're danby as was the 5k units, the danby website indicates the cabinet is larger in dimensions....
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL 1206 View Post
the 2013 jayco pamphlet I have on the slx models indicates they all now have 8000 btu units. if they're danby as was the 5k units, the danby website indicates the cabinet is larger in dimensions....
That's wonderful that they have made improvements. I guess we were unlucky to get one of the ones manufactured before the improvements on the 2013. I guess we could just trade it in for a 2014.

Our first trip out we spent the day at Piney Campground at LBL. Can't wait to get the TT back from shop and try it again. We had a site right on the lake and it was so peaceful.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #17

Took a trip to Cages Bend, Tn (16 miles from home) for a trial run after having the a/c replaced. The a/c worked well in 85 degree weather. Too cold, even on low, at night. We did tilt the TT a little on the a/c side. No more water on bedding and no water draining on outside and running down window. We had such a great time we ended up spending two nights. Met a lot of nice people. After two months of problems, we are happy campers. The tips on this site have been very helpful.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #18

GBrown, glad too hear all went well. we spent 12 days at LBL Piney, Dogwood Loop in July. we have a 2012 mid yr production 184 w/the 5k a/c danby unit.
mid yr productions had the modification to correct the leaking problem that have been noted. our 5k unit worked just fine during the high 80 temps we had.
in fact, during the nights, we had too turn the settings way down. first morning at 4:30 am, the inside temp was 59 degrees, wife was "Not a Happy Camper" at that hour. I turned the a/c off. we learned to set the setting on low before calling it a night. most mornings we never turned the a/c on until late mid-mornings...
far as water dripping down the camper, I fabricated a removable gutter out of aluminum, painted it white, and it does the job well. barely visible/noticeable to the unsuspecting passerby. LBL, Piney will have it's annual dealers camper fair in Sept. dealers from the area bring in units for the public to walk through, ask questions, etc...best part, it's all free to the public, and it last two days. also included is the campers arts and craft fair...fun wk-end.
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #19

I've got a 2012 Swift 184bh and second summer owning it. Haven't had a problem with leaking A/C. Maby I got a well built model but very happy with this camper.

I have to agree the 5000btu is ok to keep you confortable but isn't cool inside. A 8000btu should be alot better. Can't complain, beats being hot and humide.
iLLBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #20

2013 swift slx 165 rb

I too am having problems with the a/c in my tt. The 5000 btu just will not cut it here in Al. I camped last weekend and it was around 94 outside and 88 inside. I called my dealer (Burton Campers in Calera) they in turn called Jayco. According to them there is nothing they can do and did not offer the 8000 btu in this camper. I did however go to lowes and found a 8000 btu portable on sale. With the two a/c working it got downright cold. But I will prob. change to a larger wall unit. I saw someone said they changed theirs, does anyone have a link?
jeff brittain is offline   Reply With Quote