Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
Welcome to JOF. We love the BHBE floorplan in the Eagle line because it is the lightest and smallest in the Eagle line. Other bunkhouses with an additional slide and outdoor kitchens were just too heavy. Our TT needs list was:
A)door that closes for Master bedroom so DW can go to bed early and sleep late,
B)single slide (without fridge and stove etc. on slide as IMHO the additional connections and wiring and weight increase risk of problems)
C)Curtain at least for rear bunks so that children can close curtain and go to sleep while clean up from late supper is done;
D) Under 7,000 lbs dry because that is 60% of my tow capacity
E) Wanted the front fiberglass wrap-around cap to reduce risk of leaks.

I have no experience towing with Toyota and can only provide my experience with a 2010 Supercrew F150 with max tow package. For actual towing experiences with similar trailer sizes, you might want to look at the Toyota forums instead of some of the posts in JOF about having towed with a half-ton once but it wasn't safe so now they are smarter and safer towing with a used Ram 2500.

You are correct in identifying payload as your most limiting factor. My max tow package give me 1830 lbs of payload so I have a little more to play with but that is wiped out by my tonneau and kayaks. My tongue weight has been right around 1,000 lbs everytime I have weighed my trailer. I do not tow with full fresh water tanks as I fill up when I get to the campground and I do not put anything heavy in the box of the truck. Even with a Propride WD hitch (I highly recommend it if you have to upgrade your hitch) the F150 did squat a bit so I added airbags and I changed to LT tires when I replaced my tires. My setup is very stable in winds and passing semis and I have never had a "white knuckle" incident in the last two years pulling this trailer with my F150. My 5.4 V-8 does have to work when climbing the mountains in VT, NY and Pa, but it maintains the speedlimit without any problems
Just before we pulled the trigger on our BHBE there was a guy on this forum that was posting about his experiences doing professional RV delivery from the factories to the dealerships and he had the opportunity to tow many Jayco and other brands back to back. His comments on the BHBE were that it was incredibly stable for its size and pulled much easier than many smaller trailers he had delivered.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

2015 Eagle 284BHBE

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote