Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #1

Jayco Featherlit X17c

My mom has just let me know that she purchased a new X17c (I have a 26BH travel trailer). as I was out on vacation, I didn't realize she was going to do this before talking to me! My worry is that she has a 2010 Edge Limited and, I don't believe, a towing package. My concern is that she is going to have some difficulties with this towing. I see that it should be rated at 3500 lbs, which is the what the trialers max's out at.

what do others drive this model with? anything similar?
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #2

We have a Honda Odyssey Minivan that can tow 3500lbs. We bought a lightweight 17' Casita w/out the bath so it maxed out at 3100lbs loaded. We traveled cross country and it towed well (we had WDH but didn't need the stabilizer bar). We got 14mpg avg. It did well in cross winds and in general. When it came to the Rockies or (otherwise) steep grades, it sucked! We slowed to 40mph uphill on the grade and had to make sure that we used lower gears downgrade.... we worried about losing our brakes on longer grades!

Also, we had to install "coolers's" to the tranny etc. Without that, I''m sure we might've done damage to the engine. I would say if her tv can only tow 3500lbs and isn't set up for towing with coolers etc.... She may have been douped by a scrupulous dealer/salesman who convinced her that her tv can tow whatever she showed an interest in! I would love to know who that guy/dealer is, as I would never do business with them! Feel free to let us know who sold that to her!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

We have a 2010 17Z, which is very similar to the 17C. I pull it with a 1997 grand cherokee witmpgh V8, tow pkg, equalizer WDH, and prodigy brake controller. The jeep is rated to tow 6500, but I really wouldn't want to pull anything bigger than the 17Z. The wind really impacts how hard the engine works just to maintain 55-60 mph; a cross wind or head wind drops my mileage to around 9 mpg. My next vehicle will probably be a grand cherokee with a hemi. I think you might have some issues pulling with the Edge, mainly due to the short wheelbase and soft suspension. Also, you'll need to pack the tow vehicle and trailer lightly to avoid exceeding the 3500 wt limit.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #4

Towing 17Z

We just bought the Export 17Z which is a bit heavier than the 17C because of the couch. We bought this intending to pull it with our Dodge Grand Caravan (3800lbs towing). The trailer is 3033lb out of the factory and is not supposed to exceed 3500lb loaded. I needed to change the hitch on the van and install some coolers so I picked the trailer up using a Jeep Commander 5.8 with a HEMI and factory tow (7800lbs). The Commander handled the trailer with no problem. We also used the Commander on our first trip. The fully loaded trailer handled differently. The Commander still did very well, but it made me really think that the Caravan will probably struggle on anything but flat land. Luckily in Michigan we're pretty flat. I still have not decided if I am going to equip the van or look for another tow vehicle. I did purchase the Equal-i-zer weight distribution and sway control which worked like a charm with the Commander. Before buying the 17Z I had convinced myself that towing at or slightly above the vehicle limits would be fine. I am re-thinking that however. I still think I coud tow safely with the proper equipment (WDH, good brake control, air bags on rear suspension), but I am concerned about the strain on the engine and vehicle components. We only have one more trip planned this fall so I will probably take the winter to decide. I put airbags on the van to pull our old popup and it was amazing how well they stiffened up the rear. I agree with go wild; pack light.
RedWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #5

Yea, we have a Chrysler town and country...really wouldn't want to tow the 17Z with it.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #6

The salesman sold her a unit that she can technically pull-- just tell her not to fill it up with stuff. It is what it is at this point. She'll need a transmission cooler for sure, and make sure she has a brake controller and has it adjusted. The hitch weight on the trailer seems ok kind of pushing it, might want to consider a sway bar though. She'll be tossed around a little by big rigs without one for sure.
\

She'd have to pack lite anyways as it only carries 600lbs. Fill up that fresh water tank water tank and she'll be at 240lbs. -- 2 batteries up front and your now at 340lbs.-- does she have a AC installed? If so add another 60lbs. Does it have the optional awning? All those things add up and go towards the GVW. so potentially she'll only be able to pack 100lbs. of camping gear and food. Better tell her to fill out the water only after she gets to the campground and pack lite. No dutch ovens-- no 30 cans of food (I have a mom too-- I know how they are).

Good luck and remember to have fun. Sorry to sound like the weight police-- I am just amazed that the GVW is so low. Her SUV will fine though.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #7

Thought I'd pass this along--
http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...vEDGEsep09.pdf

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT