Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Texas View Post
I understand my 145 RB Swift SLX has a 5,000 btu A/C. In looking at the 2014 model I notice it comes with an 8,000 btu A/C. Does anyone know if the 8,000 btu unit will fit in the same place as my current 5,000 btu unit?
I can measure my 8K A/C tonight and get the exact manufacture model if you like.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsutherland View Post
I love our 184BH. I have the same complaints as others, so far I have:
- Installed a bar to make the tear down and setup of the dinette easier. (Thanks to the person who posted it last year!).
- Replaced the raised bump on table legs with hinge pins so it is easier to collapse the dinette legs.
- Replaced the electrical outlet under the dinette with a new one and added second near the coach/bench.
- Replaced lights with LED
- Welded scissor jacks to front
- Added small ladder to bunks (from campingworld.com)

Next I will:
- Add drawers
- Add medicine cabinet in bathroom.
- Add a powered fan with covered vent to replace the vent in the middle of the trailer.

Gsutherland, I too:
1. Added the bar to help breakdown and setup of the table (really my wife did)
2. Installed the fan but in the bathroom, a VortexII
3. Will be adding the outlet by the couch
4. Replaced the Fridgidaire 5,000 btu unit with an artic king 6000 btu unit. Fits right in the hole. I understand the 2014 units now have the 8,000 unit. I am jealous. I use pillows in the vents to prevent massive southern sun heat.
5. Look to be adding some jacks in the front. I have bent a rear stabilzer, but they're easy to replace.

Can you show me a pic of your led lights?
MikeeDee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #43

2015 Jayci SLX 185RB

I haven't seen much on the forum regarding this model. I am generally happy with my TT. It is easy to tow. There is not a lot of room but I usually camp alone. My bride has no interest in camping. The smoke alarm went off when I first used the furnace but no big problem. I'd like to hear from other owners of this model. Am I the only one who has one....lol...
I have to watch my water use while dry camping. Only 18 gallon tank. I tend to wash my hands a lot, A habit of being a nurse.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #44

Nice and small, all the basic needs

I love my new swift 14'. I was so cozy and comfortable in a big windstorm on the beach in Port Townsend. I watched the tents give up and sleep in their cars I was cozy, drinking my tea.
I notice a theme w/ people wrestling w/ the tables; I had to take mine out and had 2 3/4 " plywood board in place.
I also notice my tub does not appear to be caulked and I am already seeing rust(or what appears to be rust) on the frame and bumper. I've used it gently so far.
Anyone else notice thin paint on the frame and tub not looking like it's caulked?
It's a great day in the Pacific NW today.
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #45

I have a 154bh, and am also concernerd about the lack of caulking on and around the tub, and yes there is some light rust on the bumper and frame also. Just took it out for our 3rd trip this past weekend to the Texas coast.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:30 AM   #46

Smile

As I sit in our 165 rb on the island of Ocracoke, watching yet another glorious sunrise in our home away from home at a campground that has no electric and unheated showers...I am grateful my husband listened to my pleading when I said BUY THIS trailer. I especially like the fact it can be towed with our 6 cylinder Toyota 4runner.
My husband also removed the dinette and made a removable table top and bookcase for us. In case we need the extra bed, the top slides off and we have another piece for the frame. But really, we needed the space for the d o g!
Question...has anyone come across issues with excessive condensation droplets in the rear bunk?
Attached Thumbnails
20140630_073840.jpg  
NCmiddleschoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmiddleschoolteacher View Post
Question...has anyone come across issues with excessive condensation droplets in the rear bunk?
Pop-Up-Gizmos (i.e. PUGs - or similar) insulating tent-end products will help greatly with bunk end condensation, interior climate temperature retention and canvass UV protection. Do a search of the archives here on JOF for Pop-up Gizmos or PUGs. You'll find a few threads like this....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...=pop-up+gizmos

Good luck with your 165RB...I like the bench mod.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #48

Thank you so much! Also, thanks for explaining PUGs. I thought people were using little dogs! My husband appreciated the kudos on his handiwork. A spice rack is next. Happy wife is a happy camper!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #49

I just bought a 2015 Jayco swift 184bh. I take delivery on Friday, I can hardly wait to take it out camping. I'm used to tent camping so this should be a pleasant surprise.
A question, what size ladder works best for the rear bunk? Thanks for reading.
ssj3Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #50

I have a 184BH with a RAV4 and love the combo. Trailer is just big enough for us but did not require a new truck or me to change my side yard fencing (22ft of space). Tossed between Viking/Clipper and Jayco. Decided on Jayco because the 184BH had a full dinette rather than the skinny dinette in the Viking where Jaycos sofa is. The Jayco was also 2ft shorter, many inches lower in height, and cheaper.
Wish the 184BH had front levelling legs (will add shortly). The closet is very dark and will need a light installed. Seat plywood seems overly thin and I may swap to slightly thicker if it starts to warp. Also the front dinette bed squeaks horribly so I unscrewed the support wood and then glued it and added more screws, it is silent now. Stupid table is way heavy and sags when we sit in bed and the legs hang too low when it's a bed.
We like all the storage space, the layout, colours inside, lots of windows, simplicity of it.

For those of you that added a ceiling fan, was there already power in the vent area or did you have to run power up to it?
Rudy_Z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #51

Just got our 154BH a week ago. We already had the front window leaking problem others mentionned... Dealer re-sealled it. They litterally removed the window, add some grey stuff then put it back in place then add silicone. Seems to be better than the black foam that was originally there. Hopefully the problem is solved...

Other than that we're very pleased with the unit. The Odyssey is doing well pulling it with WDH, feel safe about it. We used to camp in a small pup-up, so the 154BH is pure luxury for us! Kids love the bunk beds! Already have the front levelling jacks in the front and the bathroom fan installed by the dealer (Thanks to this forum for information before bying!). I built a ladder for the upper bunk. Now things I plan to do:

-Add drawers Under the sink. Anyone have some tips for that? Not sure where I can fix the rails on the right side...
-Add the bar to help fold down the table (nice idea!)
-Order and install LED lights

Can't wait to go camping with our new trailer!
Filetaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filetaos View Post
Just got our 154BH a week ago.....
Can't wait to go camping with our new trailer!
Congratulations... after 3 years we had to sell ours - but thoroughly enjoyed the ownership experience.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Congratulations... after 3 years we had to sell ours - but thoroughly enjoyed the ownership experience.
"say what!" wow and after ALL those mods you did.
somebody ended up w/a nice unit.
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBL 1206 View Post
"say what!" wow and after ALL those mods you did.
somebody ended up w/a nice unit.
A local friend bought it... I may even get to borrow it once and awhile
Old 02-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #55

can somebody share experience of 154 BH side wall mounted air conditioning in hot 100plus Texas summer ?
Can it cool down to 78 degrees inside ?
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #56

also why bathroom fan is important!
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #57

What is it with the microwave ovens in the 184 BH? First time I took the (almost) new TT camping, I discovered that the magnetron wasn't working in the microwave. Since I opted out on buying the warranty insurance, I replaced it with a Magic Chef. It is the same, exact configuration as the unit it came with, and I was able to use the same surround panels and exhaust diverter. I took the housing partially off the old one to make sure I didn't drill into vital parts when installing the surround panels. I wanted to just switch the housing on the units, but the front housing seam is machined bent/pressed around the top front of the microwave oven, so drilling holes became my only option. It works great and only cost me $58.00 to replace. The only difference between the two microwaves is the location of the top exhaust vent. The dedicated RV version microwave would have cost me $200.00. I wanted to put in a convection microwave, but they require more wattage, are larger and generate more exhaust heat, so I stuck with the 900 watt microwave.
Islandfirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #58

Sheet size?

Hi all,

We just purchased a used 2014 184BH from PPL in Houston (we're super excited!), can anyone help us with what size sheets to get for the beds? The dinette bed seems to be about 56x80, but I can't seem to find sheets that size. Any advice on where to buy the sheets from?
SeanJ2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #59

For the bunks, I bought some of these from Amazon

http://a.co/frL24qB

We just use the fitted one on the bottom and our boys are not big enough yet for a top sheet. Our plan though is a thin top blanket or sleeping blanket eventually when it gets cold. I doubt in Houston it gets too chilly.

Perhaps a "Queen sofa sleeper" fitted might work, or perhaps a flat for the dinette?
https://elkhartbedding.com/size-guide.php

Jim
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #60

Hi to you and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote