Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #1

Jayco ultralights and weight distribution

I am going to post this because of the problems I had using weight distribution hitch and ultralights. (I am talking round bar here)
If you read the owners manual, Jayco does not discourage the use of one but to be careful about the tension you use.
Reason is, ultralights have a really low tongue weight so over doing it can cause damage.

It will actually collapse the tube where the bolt is used for the saddle.

Mine was distorted and slightly tweeked after I had too much tension, turned a corner and saddle slid far enough where the saddle bolt fell in a hole in the frame causing the saddle to get tweeked beyond use and a slightly distorted tube.
I fixed this by welding 3/16" plate steel behind the tube where the saddle bolt bottoms out on and also tack welded new saddles into place so they will not slide up and down the tube.
I see a lot of rigs going down the road with improperly adjusted WD with bars almost touching the tubes.
The bars are are supposed to be PARALLEL with the tongue tubes.
Just a word to the wise!
2007 Jayco Jayfeather 29A
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #2

I looked into a WD bar and was advised that frame of 2010 Jayco JayFeather Sport 165 would be a risk - WD bar may bend frame of trailor.

So I don't use a WD bar or a sway bar. My hitch weight is about 600 lbs. Have done 2 trips to Corpus Christi Texas and 2 trips to Seattle (from Phoenix) with no problems.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelldawg View Post
I looked into a WD bar and was advised that frame of 2010 Jayco JayFeather Sport 165 would be a risk - WD bar may bend frame of trailor.

So I don't use a WD bar or a sway bar. My hitch weight is about 600 lbs. Have done 2 trips to Corpus Christi Texas and 2 trips to Seattle (from Phoenix) with no problems.
Yeah that's a smaller trailer. I use it on my 30 footer but use the WD and do not have to use the tongue jack to flip the saddles up yet provides enough tension when you go over bumps it does not bounce.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #4

Just traded my '08 5.7 Tundra for '04 Suburban. Going from 33' (FR Salem 30QBSS) to 20' 2700lb (184bh) trailer. I was thinking I could use my Equalizer hitch (10,000lb bars) and use very little tension. Then started thinking if I use too little tension I wouldn't benefit from the sway control.

Now I'm concerned about the trailer frame and wondering if I'd be better off not using a WD hitch.
Capstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are special light weight WDH's designed for the Ultra Lite frames and tongue weights, Reese has a couple. In many cases the RV manufacture will specify a maximum rated WDH do to the lighter frame construction.

There have been many cases where over tightening the bolt that holds the snap-up bracket in place creating problems, even on the heavier tongue weights. Reese recommends tightening the bolt only 1/4 to 1/2 turn against the frame. Even with an added backer-plate for reinforcement avoid over tightening because the saddle over the top of the frame can bend.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
There are special light weight WDH's designed for the Ultra Lite frames and tongue weights, Reese has a couple. In many cases the RV manufacture will specify a maximum rated WDH do to the lighter frame construction.

There have been many cases where over tightening the bolt that holds the snap-up bracket in place creating problems, even on the heavier tongue weights. Reese recommends tightening the bolt only 1/4 to 1/2 turn against the frame. Even with an added backer-plate for reinforcement avoid over tightening because the saddle over the top of the frame can bend.

Bob
This is why I used 4'x'4 3/16 plate steel and welded on the back. I also tack welded the saddles in place so they do not slide around.
Works great. I will post pics later.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackshot View Post
This is why I used 4'x'4 3/16 plate steel and welded on the back. I also tack welded the saddles in place so they do not slide around.....snip
Crackshot,

I basically did the same thing because of my 1,200lb plus loaded tongue weight moving my brackets around a little...., in my case I bolted them.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...nap-up+bracket

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

I wanted a Reese Cam system on my X19 I picked up a couple of weeks ago. The dealer refused to install it. I had to take a E2 setup. Works ok, but I am not impressed. I walked outside last night and noticed the brackets where the bar rides is rusting.

We had on 06 model mom had bought used, and it had the Reese system on it, and I loved it. And, with chains, it was simple to swap TV's. With the E2, its more than just a matter of adjusting the chains.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #9

This post is scary. I was never told that the frame could actually bend if the tension was not set properly. I must use WD bars or else my SUV sags too much. I'll keep an eye on this.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky10 View Post
This post is scary. I was never told that the frame could actually bend if the tension was not set properly. I must use WD bars or else my SUV sags too much. I'll keep an eye on this.
A lot of people do not set them up right. They crank the chains so tight and do not have correct angle on ball, that's when they run into problems.