Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #1

Jayco x213 owners .. what is your average loaded tongue weight?

Looking for any owners who can provide what their average loaded tongue weight is for their Jayco x213. The 2014 site states the unloaded hitch weight around 330# which is actually less than the x18D at 400# with 900# less of gross vehicle weight. I know the rule of thumb is 10-15% but would like some real world experiences. Thanks!
bbohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbohio View Post
Looking for any owners who can provide what their average loaded tongue weight is for their Jayco x213. The 2014 site states the unloaded hitch weight around 330# which is actually less than the x18D at 400# with 900# less of gross vehicle weight. I know the rule of thumb is 10-15% but would like some real world experiences. Thanks!
bbohio,

I'm looking at the exact same trailer. I'm extremely limited in tongue weight because my tow vehicle has very little remaining payload capacity. Manufacturer's claimed weight and the actual weight are very different. You will want to look at the Federally mandated "yellow sticker" on the trailer that gives actual as-built weight, then add cargo and calculate 10-15% for tongue weight.

I've seen "yellow sticker" weights of 4258 and 4300 lbs weights for the X213 (not including cargo).

A 2011 Trailer Life article reviewing the X213 with water and propane puts the weight at 4680lbs with a tongue weight of 560 lbs. Quite a bit more than the claimed 330 lbs!

Remember, as soon as you put propane and a battery on the front of the A-frame, you'll add 100-150lbs to the tongue weight.
rvhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #3

Jayco includes full propane bottles in their yellow sticker weight. Also the frame has been changed on the 14s to lighten things up.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Jayco includes full propane bottles in their yellow sticker weight. Also the frame has been changed on the 14s to lighten things up.
s1njin,

Do you have your yellow sticker weight handy? I'm looking at a 2014 and was curious about the weight since you said that they are lighter now.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvhippo View Post
s1njin,

Do you have your yellow sticker weight handy? I'm looking at a 2014 and was curious about the weight since you said that they are lighter now.

Thanks!
I took a picture of a 2014 yellow stickers (there are 2 of them) at the PA camper show. The weight was 4258.

x213 Photos from the show

Still doesn't state the actual loaded tongue weight, which I also would like to know.

John
perfpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvhippo View Post
s1njin,

Thanks!
Mine is on order. One of the changes to 2014 from 2013 is the Norco NextGen frame; which is lighter than the outgoing one. That's the only reason that I know.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfpix View Post
I took a picture of a 2014 yellow stickers (there are 2 of them) at the PA camper show. The weight was 4258.

x213 Photos from the show

Still doesn't state the actual loaded tongue weight, which I also would like to know.

John
Nice. This is the exact color that I'm waiting on !!!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #8

As to the OP's quesition, I already own a Sherline Tongue Weight Scale (1000); I plan on getting the TW of the trailer the day I bring it home from the dealer, and than after its packed and ready to camp (save a fridge of groceries and clothing duffles). I'll post back my results in the Spring.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Actual loaded tongue weight will depend on what you put in the trailer and where you put it. You can't change where you put the water as the tanks are fixed, but everything else can be moved around to get the tongue weight you want (especially with the X213's bunk bed storage area up front).

In the 2011 Trailer Life article, a X213 with just water, propane and (I assume battery) had a tongue weight of 12% (560 lbs). No cargo.

If you put all your cargo up front, then tongue weight will increase. If you put everything in back, tongue weight will decrease. You want to have a minimum of 10% tongue weight. More tongue weight will increase trailer stability. Less tongue weight will make it more likely to sway and behave poorly.

The X213 has a really, really light "brochure" tongue weight of 330 lbs. This is probably because without propane, battery, spare tire and other stuff on the front of the A-frame, the huge rear slide-out makes the trailer tail heavy. Putting all the real-world stuff on the trailer will give a more realistic and stable-towing tongue weight.

Do not figure a tongue weight less than 10% of the total trailer weight unless your tow vehicle massively outweighs the trailer, has a long wheel base, short tow-vehicle rear-axle to hitch distance and you drive slowly in non-windy conditions. It will sway. The more weight over 10%, the more safety margin you'll have in regards to sway.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Mine is on order. One of the changes to 2014 from 2013 is the Norco NextGen frame; which is lighter than the outgoing one. That's the only reason that I know.
I hope the new frame works out. In my research, the Forest River Roos/Shamrocks had frame failure problems. The Outback Terrains also had structural issues. Forest River has stopped producing any trailers with the rear slide out. Jayco was the only manufacturer that didn't have frame/structure issues with the huge rear slide out. I hope the new frame is as good as the old frame.

I'm planning a 6-month trip and the thing that worries me the most is the rear slide out. Lots of deploying and retracting that slide in 6 months of camping.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #11

Well, this frame has been in production on the X213 since last spring/summer at least. As its touted as being STRONGER I wouldn't give it much thought. The trend away from rear-slides has been happening for quite some time now; its become a niche product as most folks would want a side slide than a rear one.

The X213 is a great compromise trailer for those of us that don't want to tow a long trailer or a heavy trailer.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #12

I'm really constrained on payload capacity, so the X213 is the best option for lots of living space with minimum length and weight (as you said ).

I was wondering if the original poster was going to use a WD hitch? A WD hitch will distribute some of the tongue weight back to the trailer axles and off the tow-vehicle hitch.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

I would think it pretty unwise to NOT use a WDH w/ this trailer. Loading it up to 5000 pounds won't be very hard, and at the 10% minimum tongue weight you'll have 500 on the ball. Which is right at the limit of what most standard class IV hitches can take w/o a WDH. Also, 10% is still pretty light for tongue weight; I wouldn't want it that light.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #14

Definitely use a WDH.....makes a world of difference. When I have mine loaded it weighs down the back of my truck with out it.
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #15

We was really interested in getting the 2010 model way back then but never did it. I think this is the perfect size for the way we camp. The 2010 model got great reviews from everyone as this was the after the fix of the saging rear slide. The saging would tear up the seats inside the trailer.

Since there was only the two of us I was going to rip out the bunks and modify this area into a short storagae area near the side bicycle door and a l-shaped desk arrangement with upper hutch for our computer/office/radio equipment setup. Would look something like this...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #16

So what tongue weight hitch have you guys been using with you X213? E-Trailer suggested the Reese RP66082 that is only rated up to a 600 lbs max tongue weight. I just want to make sure it works as it should and rides great.
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
So what tongue weight hitch have you guys been using with you X213? E-Trailer suggested the Reese RP66082 that is only rated up to a 600 lbs max tongue weight. I just want to make sure it works as it should and rides great.
I also have a hitch rated for 600lbs. I bought a tongue weight scale to make sure I don't exceed the 600lbs. As long as I don't put a lot of heavy stuff in the bunk area, I'm right at 600lbs.

John
Hensley Cub WDH, Tekonsha Primus IQ
perfpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #18

Quote:
I also have a hitch rated for 600lbs. I bought a tongue weight scale to make sure I don't exceed the 600lbs. As long as I don't put a lot of heavy stuff in the bunk area, I'm right at 600lbs.

John

What's your loaded trailer weight? If someone is going to load full at 5500#, that's only 10.9% and I've seen lots of folks say to aim for at least 13%. I know we're around 5K when loaded and that's without water or bikes that we want to add.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #19

Jayco x213 owners .. what is your average loaded tongue weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post

Curious, why not just get a higher rated WDH so you leave yourself room to carry up to a 15% tongue of the GVWR of the trailer (825)? That way you won't have much to worry about it as long as your vehicle can take that tongue weight.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Curious, why not just get a higher rated WDH so you leave yourself room to carry up to a 15% tongue of the GVWR of the trailer (825)? That way you won't have much to worry about it as long as your vehicle can take that tongue weight.
I've read that it's not good on the frame of light weights? Not sure if it's true or not. I would like to get the next one up high is rated at 1000lbs. Thoughts.
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote