Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
I've read that it's not good on the frame of light weights? Not sure if it's true or not. I would like to get the next one up high is rated at 1000lbs. Thoughts.

It definitely sounds plausible. The hitch we have is an entirely different beast due it not having bars, so it wasn't an issue I needed to worry about when purchasing it.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #22

I'm getting a little scared here. Just bought a brand new 2014 X213 from the dealer. Told them I wanted the smoothest ride possible and they installed an Equal-i-zer #92-00-0600 rated 600lb max. tongue weight and 6000lb max. loaded trailer. Should I call the dealer and have them change it for an 800lb max. tongue weight?
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I'm getting a little scared here. Just bought a brand new 2014 X213 from the dealer. Told them I wanted the smoothest ride possible and they installed an Equal-i-zer #92-00-0600 rated 600lb max. tongue weight and 6000lb max. loaded trailer. Should I call the dealer and have them change it for an 800lb max. tongue weight?

I would. Here's a thread I have grumbling about the tongue weight and someone recently posted theirs was 750 loaded. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26403
Old 04-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #24

Can any other X213 Owners chime in on your loaded tongue weight. It seems to me that most people just oversize hitches, and never check their loaded hitch weight. Because you also are supposed to add any weight that will be loaded behind the tow vehicles rear axel. I would like to get a discount on a hitch when I sign for my trailer today, but don't know what size hitch to get. Lol
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:30 AM   #25

Jayco x213 owners .. what is your average loaded tongue weight?

Quote:
Can any other X213 Owners chime in on your loaded tongue weight. It seems to me that most people just oversize hitches, and never check their loaded hitch weight. Because you also are supposed to add any weight that will be loaded behind the tow vehicles rear axel. I would like to get a discount on a hitch when I sign for my trailer today, but don't know what size hitch to get. Lol

Have you looked into the Andersen at all? It would totally save you the grief of worrying about size. It's not oversized. It's designed differently.

We've weighed ours when we left the dealer, again two days later when we went home with a small bit of cargo, then when we were home with more cargo, and another time after attempting to lighten the tongue, then again after we bought our replacement tow vehicle. The tongue has been weighed more times than the trailer has been out camping.

Remember there is not an easy way to load cargo behind the axles. You have under the dinette and under the sofa and the small hallway in between. We jam our Weber Q220 under the dinette and there's barely room for anything else. In between the dinette and couch we shove a 5 gallon bottle of drinking water. Under the couch holds beach mats as it's an awkward space; large items just can't fit in. We don't have anything heavier to stuff back there.

You can't have more than 200# in the slide when travelling (weight rating much lower when moving). We've got clothing for 4 people loaded in the cabinets above the bed which is as rearmost as you can get. Loading stuff on the bed is difficult as it bounces around and falls off (ask me how I know this). There isn't anyway to get more load in the rear unless water helps. But your pic shows it is directly above the axles so not sure it's much help.

We'll be testing water as soon as we bring it home. We normally don't need to take any so we didn't test last summer. We've got a long drive and a quick overnight stay this summer so water on hand will be useful.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:33 AM   #26

iplumb, did you actually buy it today?
Old 04-24-2015, 01:38 AM   #27

Jayco x213 owners .. what is your average loaded tongue weight?

Well today's fri. now. So the plan is to stop in today and sign the paper work to hold it. But we won't be getting it until the 1st week in May. I would've yesterday but the salesman that's been putting up with me had the day off.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:41 AM   #28

And I will look into the Anderson. Thx
Old 04-24-2015, 01:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Well today's fri. now. So the plan is to stop in today and sign the paper work to hold it. But we won't be getting it until the 1st week in May. I would've yesterday but the salesman that's been putting up with me had the day off.

Awesome! Coming to a close soon! What colour interior?

And you are correct, most people don't check their loaded hitch weight. Most people don't check any weights. I've shocked at least 4 families that they are over weight and/or payload. The dealers don't tell you that; they just sell you what they can.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:08 AM   #30

Stone interior Wife's choice. Those Anderson hitches look pretty slick! I've been watching videos. I'll have to look into them more. Would you go that route again? Hard to hook up and Remove? Does you truck set pretty straight loaded? Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Stone interior Wife's choice. Those Anderson hitches look pretty slick! I've been watching videos. I'll have to look into them more. Would you go that route again? Hard to hook up and Remove? Does you truck set pretty straight loaded? Thanks again.
VERY smart wife! (Says the wife who picked Stone as well ) The hitch is very easy to hook up. I can do it if needed. I am technically competent so could technically do a standard style WDH, but I'm 5'4" and 120#. The bars scare me. I don't have the strength to deal with them and I'm scared I'm going to take off a finger or an arm. The Andersen is much simpler.

And ya, I think we're straight. I'm sure I've got a pic. I'll find it and post.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #32

Do you know the stock X213 hitch hight? Wondering if I would need the 4" or 8" drop Anderson?
Old 04-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #33

Just called Jayco 19 3/4"
Old 04-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #34

Just weighed my X213's tongue at 395 lbs , full propane, 1battery, spare tire plus the arms for WDH. The inside is mostly empty. Will weigh again once I load it up. Weight of TT as per yellow sticker is 4326 lbs.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Just weighed my X213's tongue at 395 lbs , full propane, 1battery, spare tire plus the arms for WDH. The inside is mostly empty. Will weigh again once I load it up. Weight of TT as per yellow sticker is 4326 lbs.

What year is your trailer?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverescape View Post
what year is your trailer?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
What year is your trailer?
What year is yours?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #38

Quote:
What year is yours?

2015. Make they shipped mine with rocks in the underbelly. LOL
Old 04-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #39

Once you load the trailer you will find a difference. A lot of the stuff in many of the kitchen cabinets, closet, bunk space, front storage compartment, bathroom and waste tanks is forward of the axles. Even without rocks in the underbelly (good one SilverEscape) the tongue weights creep up. Good incentive to go through the trailer at the start of the season and eliminate the stuff you never use.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #40

SilverEscape, I think I'm sold on the Andersen. Most....reviews I can find are pretty positive. Sound like it works the best on lighter trailers like the X213. I've read several reviews where they couldn't tighten it enough to keep the frame brackets from sliding so they had to tack weld those. Have you had any issues with that? Would you guys go with the Andersen again? Thanks for the input