Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #21

Just tow your trailer with the slide out extended, that will counter some of the tongue weight! LOL

On a serious note, my 2010 has the fresh water tank directly behind the rear axle. Mine is only accessible from underneath, it is not visible by lifting the plywood off the dinette bench. The bench directly behind the kitchen houses the water pump, the other bench houses the hot water tank.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #22

Thinking about going with the Reese Straightline 800 lbs max tongue weight hitch. I've read that if you go with too big of hitch it could result in a rough ride and could damage the frame on the light weight trailers? Your 1400 lbs hitches ride good? Maybe I should go with the 1000 lbs.
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #23

We checked our tongue weight on our X213 and had already hit 750lbs before we had put everything in it. We tow with 1000lb bars on an equalizer hitch. Our TV is an F450 so no problems there, but the tongue weight on the X213 is just heavy -- I have no idea how Jayco is able to get the number they publish.
mitchmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:07 AM   #24

I have the 1,000 / 10,000 lb. Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch... tongue weight is really affected by how you load your trailer. If you have too much on the tongue putting more weight in the back should help. I generally don't put much in the bunk area while traveling so I dont have to worry about tongue weight. I try to think about going camping as a way to shed 'all our stuff' so I generally try not to bring a ton of stuff... the 'extra' stuff that really adds up for us is if we bring firewood or if we bring our kayaks (which go in the back of my truck). Otherwise it is really just the basics for us.

I have an 06 tundra, which is pretty wimpy by today's 1/2 ton standards in all ways except payload (~1900lbs) and with the WDH it tows really well.
equilizer hitch
14 Jayco x213
RVCamperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #25

So you guys don't think the 1000lbs is too much? I really appreciate your thoughts on this.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #26

Do the units shipped to Canada only have the enclosed underside? I don't see that as an option on the US website? Am I missing it? And the unit we are looking at doesn't have it? I'm kinda thinking it would be nice to help keep rodents out.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Do the units shipped to Canada only have the enclosed underside? I don't see that as an option on the US website? Am I missing it? And the unit we are looking at doesn't have it? I'm kinda thinking it would be nice to help keep rodents out.

In the Jay Feather Ultralite section on the web site, go to Standards & Options, then under Options at the bottom it's the 3 from last option. Just after power package and before suspension lift kit.

Jayco doesn't have a separate Canadian web site. What makes our units different is the "Canadian Standards" option listed at the top of the Options section.

If you do the configure and price the X213 on the web site, and click the options tab, beside decor, you can select the underbelly there as a $330 option. The Canadian standards package costs us $200 and I swear it's just a sticker. LOL
Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #28

Jayco X213 tank location

I see it now, Thanks. The unit we are looking at doesn't have the enclosed bottom. Although I like the access (I'm a Plumber) it kinda bothers me. Do you think it would help with mice and rodents? Would this be a deal breaker for you guys? Are yours enclosed? We have an all fiberglass Casita Trailer now and I'm just kinda used to it.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #29

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429805765.137844.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	17747Just had to check it out. Looks good to me.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #30

Thanks for the pic above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
I see it now, Thanks. The unit we are looking at doesn't have the enclosed bottom. Although I like the access (I'm a Plumber) it kinda bothers me. Do you think it would help with mice and rodents? Would this be a deal breaker for you guys? Are yours enclosed? We have an all fiberglass Casita Trailer now and I'm just kinda used to it.

Ours has the enclosed underbelly. At first I didn't want it as we wanted to save as much as wait as possible since we were trying to tow with our SUV. But it was our preferred colour (stone) and was the same price as the models without it and without the TV (dealer got a bunch in and price was the same for all).

So we figured we'd take the enclosed underbelly instead of one in a colour we didn't like and without the TV. We are also short on camping months where we are and late August it can sometimes be hot during the day and drop just a few degrees from freezing at night so we figured it it kept the floor warmer inside, it would be worth it.

I'm not sure about the mice thing. I never had the chance to check if there were any mouse spaces with the enclosed underbelly. And can't check until it's back home for summer in a few weeks.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #31

Mine has rode nicely on both trucks with the Reese hitch, no sway or bounce. I crawled under ours right after we bought it and checked all the plumbing and wiring access holes and found they were all sealed very well. Have never had any rodents in it nor had anything chewed on yet. I did take a bunch of plastic ties and secure all the loose hanging wiring and hoses up to the frame. On a side note I just ordered a set of tires for mine (185/80R 13) and had a heck of a time finding a set with a Date code less than a year old. Local tire dealer could not find a set of Goodyears that would be available before mid June to mid July. Since we are heading out in early June I had to settle for a set of Carlisles.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #32

I own an EXP 213, year 2010. I tow with a F150 4x4 crew cab full doors. It is fully loaded. I have towed with full fresh water, front bunk area loaded with chairs, sewer drain hoses in a box, a large tote box with all camping gear (screened tent for over table, lanterns, ax, shovel, etc. ) around 100 lbs of stuff, I can still lift it into area. All our cloths, food, and refer loaded. In the truck I carried three boxes of jumbo wood, kindling, two 6 gal. jugs of water, generator, Weber Q100 Bar-B-Que, stand, paddles, life jackets, and two 15'+ kayaks. No weight distribution was needed. I did have a sway control. Truck sat level. It does have a tow package on it and pulls and drives great.
Camper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #33

Forgot to mention. On front of tung I have 2 full propane bottles and modified to fit 2 trojan 105 6V battery's.
Camper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper3 View Post
I own an EXP 213, year 2010. I tow with a F150 4x4 crew cab full doors. It is fully loaded. I have towed with full fresh water, front bunk area loaded with chairs, sewer drain hoses in a box, a large tote box with all camping gear (screened tent for over table, lanterns, ax, shovel, etc. ) around 100 lbs of stuff, I can still lift it into area. All our cloths, food, and refer loaded. In the truck I carried three boxes of jumbo wood, kindling, two 6 gal. jugs of water, generator, Weber Q100 Bar-B-Que, stand, paddles, life jackets, and two 15'+ kayaks. No weight distribution was needed. I did have a sway control. Truck sat level. It does have a tow package on it and pulls and drives great.
I simply have no idea how you did that. I have a 2015 X213, 2015 F150 FX4 with max payload package, and with 1000# bars drawn all the way up I can just get it level. That's with just linens, toiletries, and some kitchen items in front of the axle. Tongue weight pushes over 800#. For all I can tell, the freshwater tank is over the axles, not behind. It's only the water pump under the front dinette. Bad design by Jayco. I'm gonna move the spare to the rear bumper, but that's just 35# or so. Might run with just one propane tank, but that's a pain. I'd load the area under the rear slide with cinder blocks if it wouldn't put me over weight!

Anyone else have suggestions?
jimmybrine is offline   Reply With Quote