Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Leaking air conditioner on swift 185RB

Hi all,
Just took delivery of a swift 185RB. After the run through at the dealer we towed it home and found the bed was wet from the air conditioner. Has anyone had a similar problem? I spoke to the dealer and they suggested taking the air conditioner out and resetting it. I tried this but the unit does not budge after I remove the top restraining bracket. If anyone has any suggestions for a fix, they would be most appreciated. Otherwise a long trip back to the dealer.

Thanks
Chuckinlaguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #2

It's critical the TT be properly leveled for the "wall-style" AC units to properly drain. You could have driven off with the condensation pan full of sloshing water. If anything, err toward having the AC side of the TT a little low...

That said, even when our AC properly drained, the window under the AC leaked so the dealer fully caulked my window and installed a drip rail to divert the water around the window altogether. The work was covered under warranty.

Here's a link to a picture of the drip rail / air conditioner...

http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php...achmentid=8125
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. The TT was only driven about 30 miles on freeway and some city streets. It was level when we parked it in the storage lot. What I did find was the felt under the AC unit was soaked when we found the problem. So, I don't think it was from the outside. The drip rail is a good idea.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #4

I have a 184 Swift. This is a common problem with the Swift. There is actually a recall on this. Your dealer should have known about it. It will leak from the inside of the condensation pan and come down the inside. It will ALSO leak on the outside and come through the window.

I took mine back to the dealer and they fixed it well. The condensation still drips down the window which IRKS me to no end. Some people have installed a "gutter" with a spout. I took a thick piece of cotton rope and carefully threaded a piece of bailing wire through the rope (in order to make the rope hold its shape). I then watch where the condensation chooses to drip (based upon the leveling of the camper) and I stick the rope in that hole and then angle the rope away from the camper thus "wicking" the water away from the camper. It works well and it is cheap. Its also near full proof. Once my camper is out of its 2 year mark Ill probably install a drip gutter too (unless I get lazy).

If you search the forums youll find some info on it.

Hope that helps.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Didn't know about the recall. I'll contact the dealer to see if they have a fix.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #6

My Swift had the same recall issue. Since being fixed, there has been no other problem.

About the exterior draining issue, I have seen various gutter type solutions. What sounds simplest to me is just a piece of rope that wicks the water off to the side. I haven't tried it yet, but I will once the weather warms up enough to use AC.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

Had the Swift at the dealer after the first outing. They fixed the AC leak problem. The AC was installed at factory incorrectly. The unit needed to be sealed in the front and the rear of the unit where it was to drain was filled with silicon sealer. Once the front was sealed with silicon and the rear drain was cleared all worked without leaking into the Swift.

The other issue discovered on the first trip was the battery was not charging. The dealer had to replace the entire converter unit. All electrical systems were operational on the second outing.

The Swift was easy to tow with our 2013 Honda Pilot. We experienced 13.8 mpg on the return 280 mile trip. Much better than expected.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinlaguna View Post
Thanks for the advice. The TT was only driven about 30 miles on freeway and some city streets. It was level when we parked it in the storage lot. What I did find was the felt under the AC unit was soaked when we found the problem. So, I don't think it was from the outside. The drip rail is a good idea.
We just picked up our new 2013 184bh from service yesterday, a/c would not work first time out. They put a new A/C in and we let it run 2 hrs when there. Seems to cool fine, 85 degrees out and setting in sun. Noticed bed was damp and I commented that could of been done while exchanging a/c. ???? No comment from service guy. I commented that I had read that people had had trouble with leakage inside and the guy said that the drip pan was not one that was on the recall list. We left to get something to eat and come back to check the air. At this time there was water running down the outside window. Service re-caulked around the outside window before we drove home. Got to storage place and checked camper and bed was soaked. ????? We'll check the ideas given here and maybe a trip back to service.
GBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

Standing water in pan still when your towing? Never really understood why the move to the less effective side units.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
We just picked up our new 2013 184bh from service yesterday, a/c would not work first time out. They put a new A/C in and we let it run 2 hrs when there. Seems to cool fine, 85 degrees out and setting in sun. Noticed bed was damp and I commented that could of been done while exchanging a/c. ???? No comment from service guy. I commented that I had read that people had had trouble with leakage inside and the guy said that the drip pan was not one that was on the recall list. We left to get something to eat and come back to check the air. At this time there was water running down the outside window. Service re-caulked around the outside window before we drove home. Got to storage place and checked camper and bed was soaked. ????? We'll check the ideas given here and maybe a trip back to service.
As far as I can tell this is an ongoing factory installation problem, since a number of people are experiencing the leaking AC. This is what the dealer found on our 185RB:
Found drain tray cover with putty and would not allow water to run outside. Removed ext grill and removed putty from drain tray.

Hope this helps.