Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Loud Popping coming from axle

Just picked up my New Whitehawk 28DSBH. When we got it home and were maneuvering it to park, I noticed either the axle or the springs on one side of the camper was making a random, loud snapping or popping noise. Before I left the dealer the technician told me the axles would make a popping noise. This noise seems excessive. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Equalizer Brand 10,000 lb. WD Hitch
Bamm737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

I get that sound occasionally when turning/backing etc. I always thought it was from the hitch/sway bar. could be the dual axels/tires skipping/jumpings as its being manovered around into position? I hear it alot from other campers so figure its common?
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Bill-

When you heard the sound, were you turning pretty sharply so that there was a lot of torsion between the two axles? I would expect the strain on a sharp turn to produce that popping sound, but not so much on a fairly shallow turn or especially on a straight-away pull. If the dealer told you to expect that sound you might query them regarding their thoughts on your specific case.

Thanks for posting this. I am picking up my 2013 White Hawk 28DSBH in two weeks. I will keep this info in mind and ask my dealer about it when I pick up the TT.
telefonclockdesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #4

I believe the dealer mentioned the torsion between the two axles would cause a popping sound. The problem I had was this popping was happening on level ground with very small turns, backing up and moving forward five feet at a time. I even had my wife just pull it back and forth while I tried to isolate the sound. I could not pinpoint it other than it sounded like it was coming from the driver side axle or leaf springs. It was also very loud which caught my attention. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

Worry only if you hear it going in a straight line .... oh and if you didn't know ALWAYS go straight forward and back a few feet after you have parked your trailer.. This will unbind the springs and wheels..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Worry only if you hear it going in a straight line .... oh and if you didn't know ALWAYS go straight forward and back a few feet after you have parked your trailer.. This will unbind the springs and wheels..

good advise ^
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

I do get this noise primarily in a straight line. We towed it about 30 miles and are using it for the first time. It pops excessively. I am towing it back to the dealer tomorrow. Can you enlighten me on what the problem may be?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #8

I also have the popping noise but only when turning a tight turn . I always thought it was the hitch..... but after reading this I will pay more attention to the trailer axles and springs..... My trailer also creeks a lot.... I hope that is normal too.

Please let us know what you find out from the dealer.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #9

I have a Whitehawk 28BHDS and i do not have any noise while pulling the trailer. I have a little creaking when turning or turning while backing up, but other than that I do not hear anything. I have greased the ball and lubricated the wdh bars which did reduce the creaking noise a lot. It sounds like something is getting bound up. Be anxious to hear what dealer says.

Steven, Michelle, and Ashley
2012 Whitehawk 28DSBH
2008 Dodge 1500 STX
bigdaddyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #10

Hello Just joined forum today. We just took delivery of a 2105 White Hawk and it also makes the loud popping noise from the rear axle/suspension area. After talking with the service dept and sending a video, we returned to the dealer immediately. there initial response was that this was normal break in noise. I an not at all satisfied with this answer. There are many similar comments here in this topic. Has anyone received a conclusive answer/solution to this problem; either from a forum member or Jayco?
hopinjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #11

Hi Did you get a dealer reply? Thanks
Old 02-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopinjon View Post
Hello Just joined forum today. We just took delivery of a 2105 White Hawk and it also makes the loud popping noise from the rear axle/suspension area. After talking with the service dept and sending a video, we returned to the dealer immediately. there initial response was that this was normal break in noise. I an not at all satisfied with this answer. There are many similar comments here in this topic. Has anyone received a conclusive answer/solution to this problem; either from a forum member or Jayco?
Welcome to the forum.

This is an older topic, but you'll probably hear from members with trailers like yours. If not, it might help to begin a new topic. Also, it may help others to help you with specifics about when you hear the noise (low speed, high speed, parking lots, backing up, foot on the brake, when releasing the brake, etc.).

Your trailer has the 'spread' axles, correct? The wider spread makes a better ride, but when maneuvering puts more side loading on the tires and axles; that's why posts recommended pulling straight ahead and back before parking after turns. This 'unloads' the side loading of the trailer's leaf springs.

Some WDH (like mine ) make snapping and 'groaning' noises when making slow turns etc. Those noises are easily identified as coming from the hitch, not the trailer suspension. You have probably already eliminated that as the source of the noise
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:

Welcome to the forum
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Welcome!

Our White Hawk makes a lot of noise when turning too, especially when the turn is tight. The dealer let us know to expect it as it come with the territory for the wide stance axles. Almost 5,000 miles on her this year with no problems, and we also had the dealer check everything over when we had it in for warranty work at the end of the season and they didn't see anything either. IMO, you don't have anything to worry about, it's "normal".
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
Site Team

Welcome. This is a normal thing to notice on wide stance axles. As others have noted the front axle will stress in a turn because it likes to track and it can't.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #16

Our car hauler and utility trailer when loaded heavy will pop and creek.
We have a DSRE White Hawk and have not had any noise.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #17

We first noticed the noise driving straight then backing straight. So it's not just in turns. Does yours do that also? It does not sound right at all to me.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #18

Loud Poppong coming form axle area

Hello, what did you dealer tell you when you returned unit to them? I am in a discussion with dealer today. othing from them yet. jh
Old 02-11-2015, 05:41 AM   #19

I don't hear any noise while going straight, unless is right after a turn, and in that case it's the suspension 'realigning/unloading' from the turn. Dealer let us know up front to expect the noise when turning and didn't say anything, other than all looks good, when we picked it up after the warranty work.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #20

Not sure about the suspension on this unit so this might not apply. I had popping noise with my camper so I installed a wet bolt kit on the axles and it's gone for good. I did this with very few mile on the camper and the OEM nylon bushings in the shackles were showing enough wear to be the source of the popping sounds.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote