Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

LP Quick Connect Question

We just got back from our second trip with our new White Hawk 21FBS. This was the first time that we hooked up our BBQ to the LP quick connect. We noticed that the LP flow seemed to be sporadic and at the times the flame would go out completely. We know it isn't a problem with the BBQ since it works fine when hooked up directly to a LP bottle. We arent sure if there might be a problem with the trailer or possibly the quick connect hose going from the trailer to the BBQ. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
DorvilleFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses, but the reason is that the quick connect on your trailer is already regulated at the tank of your trailer. If you have a regulator on the grill itself (such as is found on a Weber Q series) you're going through 2 regulators and not getting enough pressure for the grill to work properly.

There are many posts here and elsewhere about how to reconfigure your grill to work with the quick connect fitting by removing the included regulator on the grill and replacing it with a quick connect fitting.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #3

Thanks! That makes sense. I will let the DH know.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

On a side note, if we were to buy a new BBQ just for the TT, what would you recommend? My DH loves his current grill (Weber Go Anywhere) and probably won't get a new one but just want to give him options.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorvilleFamily View Post
On a side note, if we were to buy a new BBQ just for the TT, what would you recommend? My DH loves his current grill (Weber Go Anywhere) and probably won't get a new one but just want to give him options.
I imagine you'll get a lot of different opinions on here about that. However, my favorite (and my dad's and my father-in-law's) is the Weber Q series. It's just a great all-around grill, though I've heard many are not happy with the recent redesign. We all use the older 100 series since we rarely cook for more than 2 adults and a couple kids now and then.

My dad and FIL carry a separate "mini" tank to run their grills and lanterns. I carry the 1lb bottles for now since I have a bunch of them lying around, but when they're gone, I'll probably just end up hooking my grill into my main tank on the tongue with a standard hose that I already own. I just don't want to do the mod (remove the regulator and install quick-connect fittings) to my grill because I can see myself wanting to use it for non-RV events like picnics or beach grilling and want to always have the ability to use it wherever whenever. For me, it's just easier this way...

IMHO, you just can't go wrong with a Weber.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #6

I currently use a Weber Q200 but have removed the regulator and made a custom propane hose to utilize the quick connects. We love it and it works great. It wasn't too difficult to remove the regulator but it's dedicated to the camper. Not sure if your Weber Go Anywhere is or not.

2013 Jayco Eagle 314 BDS
2011 Ford F350
THSlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

Our weber go anywhere is not dedicated to the trailer and I doubt my DH would want to modify it. That is why I was looking for recommendations on a new grill. We do have a 5lb LP tank that we usually hook it up to. So worst case scenario, we continue to use it and not use the LP connect on the trailer.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #8

You might want to take a look at the Sidekick Grill from Outdoors Unlimited. There are several configurations on Camping World's website. Mine came with a trailer side-mount bracket and a stand that can either be used on the trailer side or as a table-top stand. I had my dealer install a bumper mount which has an articulating arm (think TV wall mounting bracket), and two pins that fit into the same sockets on the grill that the stand mounts into. It also came with the quick-connect hose that fits the trailer QC. I've only used it twice (so far), but it cooked some pretty decent burgers & brats.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #9

You can buy a valve (controller) without a regulator, and just keep that with the hose in the trailer. That way you still have the valve/regulator that came with your grill so you can use your grill anywhere else. No need to tear it apart to take the regulator off.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #10

Here is the valve you need to replace your regulator/valve.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this hose will have you all set.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #11

Thanks everyone! I will share this information with the hubby tonight.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
You can buy a valve (controller) without a regulator, and just keep that with the hose in the trailer. That way you still have the valve/regulator that came with your grill so you can use your grill anywhere else. No need to tear it apart to take the regulator off.
I don't get it. I guess "tear it apart" was a little strong, it's removing and attaching fittings, not really THAT big a deal. But you still have to remove the OEM regulator from the grill in order to use the QC on the trailer and the valve you linked. So I guess what I'm saying is that unless you can configure your OEM grill regulator to be a QC (which would actually be pretty cool if you could work it right), you still have to unscrew the OEM regulator, then screw in the QC valve, then connect to the QC hose on the tail of your trailer. Then if you want to take your grill out of your trailer and use it somewhere else, you have to unscrew the QC valve from the grill and re-install the OEM regulator. All the while making sure you torque the fittings down right and use yellow tape.

I've never done it, so maybe it's not that big a deal, but in my case, I would rather just leave the grill the way it is and use my little cans, then when they're gone, I'll use my main tank. Also, the OP has another small tank anyway that they can use without modification to the grill.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #13

I'm not sure what to say if "tear it apart" was a little strong. With the system in the two links I attached, you take the valve/regulator assembly that came with your grill, and just put it aside. No unscrewing of anything. Every portable gas grill I have seen or owned, had a control valve with an attached regulator that screwed onto the gas inlet tube on the grill, and the small gas bottle screws onto the bottom of the regulator. The valve I put up the link to screws onto the gas inlet tube on the grill, just like the above setup, and then use the hose with the quick couplers to attach the valve to the propane outlet on the camper. The OEM valve/regulator remains untouched and ready to be used anytime you aren't using the RV connection. Absolutely no modifications to the grill. I have this exact setup in my trailer, and even used it this weekend.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #14

Okay, so I guess my question (the source of my confusion) is how much effort it takes to remove the OEM regulator and valve? It seems like a pain in the butt, but like I said, I've never done it. Is it really as simple as screw on/screw off? Like I said, I know it's just fittings, so it can't be THAT hard right?

When I replaced the pigtail on the front of my trailer that uses roughly the same size fittings, it wasn't really that easy, and certainly not something I would do repeatedly unless it were necessary.

I wonder if you could put a QC male on the gas inlet on the grill, then put a QC female on the OEM regulator (or vice versa)? Then you could replace the regulator and the unregulated valve with the snap of a QC connection. That would be cool!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Okay, so I guess my question (the source of my confusion) is how much effort it takes to remove the OEM regulator and valve? It seems like a pain in the butt, but like I said, I've never done it. Is it really as simple as screw on/screw off? Like I said, I know it's just fittings, so it can't be THAT hard right?

When I replaced the pigtail on the front of my trailer that uses roughly the same size fittings, it wasn't really that easy, and certainly not something I would do repeatedly unless it were necessary.

I wonder if you could put a QC male on the gas inlet on the grill, then put a QC female on the OEM regulator (or vice versa)? Then you could replace the regulator and the unregulated valve with the snap of a QC connection. That would be cool!
Maybe your grill has a different type of setup, which would be why you don't understand what I'm saying. The regulators in this link are the type I am familiar with, and have seen on all the table top grills, and you can compare it to the setup I had in my other links and maybe then it will make sense to you.

http://www.grill-repair.com/portableregulator.html

Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #16

Yeah, unfortunately my grill is with my trailer in storage, so I can't see what we're talking about. It helps me a lot to see it.

I was thinking something like this: http://youtu.be/5STC83nLVZc

I have had grills with that type of regulator before, but IIRC, the weber q100 regulator and valve connects to the gas inlet via 1/4 inch tapered propane fitting which is a tad more difficult to jut put on and take off whenever you want...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #17

It looks like a webber grill uses a different setup. Not familiar with that just looking at pictures.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
It looks like a webber grill uses a different setup. Not familiar with that just looking at pictures.
True, but it looks like the OP's Weber Go Anywhere uses a similar regulator to what you're talking about that goes on and off relatively easily, so it was just me getting a little off topic and on a tangent about modifying a Q100. Sorry about that

Back to the OP; I've used the Go Anywhere before (I didn't know that's what I had back in the day). Granted, it was a LONG time ago (15 yrs?), but I would pick the Q over that grill every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Heat output as well as consistency and control is in a completely different category. If you do a lot of grilling while you're out, it might be worth the expense to upgrade, and the Q would make a fantastic Father's Day gift!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #19

My problem with grilling, using the bumper mounted grill that came with our 2014 Whitehawk 30 DSQB, is that it's too shallow to allow anything on the top rack when you close the top....grill has cooked fine other than this problem....I like using the top rack for baking potatoes or corn. I would like to get a deeper grill so as to make use of the top rack.....been looking for a replacement as well for us.

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #20

I have showed the posts to my hubby. He is pretty handy and is leaning towards keeping our weber go anywhere. He is happy to continue to use his beloved well seasoned grill. Thanks for all of the helpful tips and advice.