Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #1

Model 197 Feather 2008 new to us

Well, I think I've finally found the right forum. My wife and I just pulled a 2008 Jayco Feather Sport home yesterday. It has hardly been used. Anybody else here have such a beast? I'd sure be grateful for any tips or tricks, or any mods.

I have a 3000W (continuous) Champion generator to use if in the boonies.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #2

Love ours. No tricks very easy to use and pull. Have fun.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and I think you're going to like your "new-to-you" travel trailer. We love ours! We have a 2009 and pulled it over 5200 miles last summer. Can't wait to get it out again this year.

I'm compiling a list of the little mods I've made to make it a little more comfortable and will soon be creating a thread to show them off. Today, for example, I replaced the heater thermostat with a digital one. The original was too difficult to read. Stay tuned, I'll be posting photos.
Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

One little mod I am looking at is to make an inside access door to the front storage area under the couch. I realize this sheet is screwed down all the way across and adds support to the trailer.

I plan to cut a door opening under the middle cushion, big enough to be of use, but not so big as to weaken the structure. As the plywood is hidden anyway, I will add some framework across the length and screw it properly. I will also make a frame around the door opening for the door itself to sit on.

Seems to be a kind of "no man's land" in the center part. Any input, negative or positive, is welcome.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #5

The door I talk about will be about where the black rectangle is at the front of the trailer. I will capture the massive project in pics and post.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

I think you just have to figure out what works best for you and make it happen. It sounds like you have the design all worked out. I opened the end of the bench by the door. I framed the panel that I cut out and put it back on with hinges and a catch to make a door and we use the space for extra bottled water and shoes.

I have installed some electronics in the center of my pass-thru storage for a rearview camera (described here) so I don't need to access that area very much but I still have considered opening an access door to that area as you describe. Be sure to post some pictures, I'll be interested to see how it comes out for you.

Beau (Hound mix)
----------------------------
2015 Jay Flight Swift SLX 185RB
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
JayRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #7

I am currently camping in my 2011 197. Great little camper. I think our floor plans are slightly different. Only problem so far is my 2 silverware cabinet doors broke from the rear mount. The staples separated. Going to Walmart to get L clamps and fix for good. Beautiful weekend for camping!
Army Warrant Officer
Nismo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

Door

We're thinking about purchasing a 2011 23B Jayco. Does anyone have a problem with the door not opening all the way and latching onto the unit itself. I think it will be a problem.
canniff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #9

Made my little access door under the center section of the "sofa" today. I will post the pics and story in "Jayco Mods".