Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #1

Mud Dauber Screen for Whitehawk 27DSRL

I have the 2013 Whitehawk 27DSRL and I'm looking for a insect screen to fit the furnace exhaust. I believe the furnace is a Atwood 8500-IV. Has anyone else found a screen to fit this furnace. I've seen on the internet where a Camco 42144 screen is supposed to fit but it is round and 3 5/8 diameter.

The exterior of the furnace exhaust is a square chrome fitting about 5 1/4 by 5 1/2. Wondered if anyone else had found a screen or tried the one above before i order online? Thanks.
yellowlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #2

I would be very careful what I put in there, that exhaust gets really hot when the furnace is running, plus it will restrict the exhaust.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

I was thinking of getting one but the instructions say to remove when furnace is in use...are these just for the end of season when you winterize? I'm confused...
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #4

I have insect screens on my furnace and water heater exhausts, as well as the refrigerator intake panel. No air restriction and everythings works just fine.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #5

I have a 2012 White Hawk 27DSRL and have Camco screens on the furnace, refrigerator and water heater. I do not have the Camco item number for the furnace screen. It is a round screen around the square Atwood furnace vent. The screen is supposed to be held on by springs but the round screen snaps over the corners of the vent and will not come off. The springs have no tension but like I said the screen will not come off without a lot of force. I purchased these from the dealer and ask him about the spring tension and he said since the screen is so tight the springs do not matter.
Bobbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #6

That sounds like the 42144. The dimensions look very close. Thanks for everyone's input.
yellowlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #7

FWIW. I encountered the same issue with my 2013 White Hawk. Same furnace vent plate. Tried 3 different Camco products including the one for the 8500 series Atwood Hydroflame, no joy. What I did was dismount the plate, separated the cover plate from the exhaust tube, cut a piece of the screen from the one I did keep, placed it between the exhaust tube and cover plate and reassembled it. That keeps the flyin' critters out of the exhaust tube, but they can still get in to the furnace case through the square holes around the exhaust tube outlet.

I sent Camco an e-mail with photos and explanation of the issue. Received a response the next day, with suggestions to remedy the situation. The Camco rep. said she would forward my e-mail and photos to their R&D folks. Good company; can't ask for any more than that.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

FWIW. I encountered the same issue with my 2013 White Hawk. Same furnace vent plate. Tried 3 different Camco products including the one for the 8500 series Atwood Hydroflame, no joy. What I did was dismount the plate, separated the cover plate from the exhaust tube, cut a piece of the screen from the one I did keep, placed it between the exhaust tube and cover plate and reassembled it. That keeps the flyin' critters out of the exhaust tube, but they can still get in to the furnace case through the square holes around the exhaust tube outlet.

I sent Camco an e-mail with photos and explanation of the issue. Received a response the next day, with suggestions to remedy the situation. The Camco rep. said she would forward my e-mail and photos to their R&D folks. Good company; can't ask for any more than that.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #9

Camco 42144 (Model FUR 500) Flying Insect RV Furnace Screen: Fits vent of Atwood Hydroflame Furnaces w/o Access Door

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #10

Chipper, thanks for the photos. I looked at the 42144 when I was at the dealer, but didn't think it would work. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper View Post
Camco 42144 (Model FUR 500) Flying Insect RV Furnace Screen: Fits vent of Atwood Hydroflame Furnaces w/o Access Door

This is what I used too. In fact I didn't even use the spring retensioner, it just fit tight enough by itself. Been over a year with no issues to report.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote