Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #1

Need advice

Can anyone suggest a lightweight hard sided model WITHOUT toilet and shower? Is there such a thing? Want to move up from our beloved 2014 Jayco 1007. Need to sleep 5 and pull with our Honda Odyssey. Am I asking the impossible (no toilet or shower)?
yaluyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #2

I think you are out of luck in the Jayco inventory. I poked around and couldn't find anything other than popups that meet that requirement.

Maybe get a used humming bird and rip out the bathroom, sounds kind of brutal to me, but It would make a fine pantry (in my opinion). It's such a small bathroom, you could pretty easily find something else to do with that space. More like a micro office you can poop in. Since you'd rather not have a bathroom at all, maybe compromise and get a camper with the tiniest bathroom you can find and either use that space for storage or seriously, it is always nice to have a place to 'go', but they are your requirements

There might be some teardrop campers out there from other builders (custom, etc) that can just build exactly what you want. Sleeps 5 and no bathroom I think is pretty rare in hard side versions. Good luck though, maybe you'll get more input from others.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

I don't think there is anything in the Jayco line that meets that, nor have I seen one at any RV shows, but it might exist somewhere.

Is the no bathroom a space/weight thing, or an ingrained dislike of bathrooms? We moved from a 1007 to an X19H Hybrid that sleeps 6 and is towable by our Traverse. A Honda Oddity doesn't have quite as much tow capacity, but the X17A might be okay. Bathroom wasn't big on our list either, but as we get older it's nice to have the toilet for the late night nature call. We have never used the shower as intended, but it is a great space for storing tall items (camp chairs, folding tables, kayak paddles). An HTT is a great way to get lots of sleeping capacity in a compact towable package. The bathroom itself doesn't add a lot of weight to the unit as everything is plastic.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

Also, keep in mind your resale value on something that would not really be in demand, just something else to factor in. I think it's safe to say that there is little_to_no market for something that sleeps 5, but is not self contained.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

If you are really tied to the Honda i would suggest you look at Hybrids, Granted they still have the canvas ends (If thats what you want to get away from you may be SOL).
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #6

From a TT perspective, I have not heard of any brands that do not have a bathroom. Popups and the little A-Frame popups are the only campers I have seen without a bathroom.

In many states, you can write off on your taxes the interest for a camper if it has a bathroom.

We use the bathroom primarily as a laundry room and a wash basin. We only use the Toilet in bad weather or late nights.

What is the listed payload and towing capacity of the Odyssey? When calculating the Real towing capacity it is reduced by the payload (cargo and people). Usually most vehicles base number are calculated with an "average" sized driver of 150-170 pounds and a full tank of full.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaluyg View Post
Can anyone suggest a lightweight hard sided model WITHOUT toilet and shower? Is there such a thing? Want to move up from our beloved 2014 Jayco 1007. Need to sleep 5 and pull with our Honda Odyssey. Am I asking the impossible (no toilet or shower)?
I don't think that's an option. We have never used ours in either of our campers, but it makes for a storage area (broom, dustpan, mop and bucket are what we keep there ). I really don't think that it adds that much to the weight of the trailer. I haven't researched the smaller TT's, but back in the mid 60's we camped as a family of 5 (and 6 when my grandmother was with us) in a 15 foot camper with no electricity, no toilet, not even enough room for everyone at the dinette and we never seemed to feel deprived.

I think that you will be hard pressed to find something that the Odyssey will pull and still have room to comfortably sleep 5. When we moved up from our FR popup (which also had a toilet and a curtained shower that we never used), we also had to trade our nearly new (14,000 miles) 2014 Honda Ridgeline for the F-150 in my sig.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #8

Others have answered your direct question, and I am certainly not trying to tell you what you should purchase, but I do have a question for your consideration: How old are you? Or do you have young kids?

It used to be that we both could sleep though the entire night even when going to bed very early. Now...things have changed. Both of us are up at least once during the night and sometimes twice to make the bathroom visit. It is hard enough getting back to sleep after making that short walk to the other side of the trailer.

If I had to put on clothes, shoes, and trek 50 yards to the nearest toilet twice during the night, not only would I not like that at all, but I would be wide awake for most of the rest of the night. Same thing if you've got young kids. Are they going to make the outside trek themselves?

Again, just a suggestion that things change as we age, and you never know when that weak bladder thing may kick in. Good luck!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #9

I think another question to ask is whether all 5 of the potential occupants of the camper will be traveling in the Odyssey towing it? If that's the case, there might not be enough payload left for a trailer of even modest size.

I think most modern trailers will have some kind of "facility" though. Whether that's a "wet bath" or a "full bath" depends on what you're looking at. Of course, I'm not including "tear-drop" type trailers; those typically sleep 2 at best though.

I was looking at some of the Forest River R-Pods a while back, and many of those contained a small wet-bath. Before I abandoned them as a possibility, they introduced some "hybrid" type models that had folding tent rooms which re-energized my interest. In the end we purchased a trailer that nearly maxed out my truck right out of the gate, then upgraded the truck after about a year when additional weight became imminent (we added one to the crew's head count).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Others have answered your direct question, and I am certainly not trying to tell you what you should purchase, but I do have a question for your consideration: How old are you? Or do you have young kids?

It used to be that we both could sleep though the entire night even when going to bed very early. Now...things have changed. Both of us are up at least once during the night and sometimes twice to make the bathroom visit. It is hard enough getting back to sleep after making that short walk to the other side of the trailer.

If I had to put on clothes, shoes, and trek 50 yards to the nearest toilet twice during the night, not only would I not like that at all, but I would be wide awake for most of the rest of the night. Same thing if you've got young kids. Are they going to make the outside trek themselves?

Again, just a suggestion that things change as we age, and you never know when that weak bladder thing may kick in. Good luck!
I'm not even 40 yet, and I'm up sometimes 3x a night. It's actually worse when I'm camping for some reason. I've actually always been that way when camping. Having "facilities" on board is AWESOME for me. But then I don't get as good a look at the stars as I did when we were tent camping and I got up and out of the tent in the middle of the night 2-3 times.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #11

When I purchased my first pop-up, I was looking for exactly the same features and specs you listed. Sadly, Jayco did not have a model that fit my needs. I did find a Coleman with two king beds a slide out kitchen (pop-out tent side), and a u-shaped dinette that made down into another bed. At the time, this was the largest non-bathroom model made.
jaydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #12

Thanks for your reply! We dislike the whole idea of a bathroom in such close quarters and the whole idea of dumping the waste??? don't even go there (LOL) We don't mind the middle of the night treks to the comfort station - always get a site close by. Cheers!
Old 02-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #13

Thanks for your reply! We dislike the whole idea of a bathroom in such close quarters and the whole idea of dumping the waste??? don't even go there (LOL) We don't mind the middle of the night treks to the comfort station - always get a site close by. We are both 50yrs+ with 3 teens. At home, we don't have anywhere to open the popup in case we have to pack up when wet. Trying to get away from canvas. Cheers!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #14

Maybe do a two for one deal and get a Honda Pilot and a new camper. It gets the same gas mileage as the Odyssey and comfortably seats 7. The 2016 and newer also have a 5,000 towing capacity