Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

Need help deciding between Jay Feather and Starcraft Ultra Lite

The wife and I really like this floor plan and also that it doesn't get so big that a F150 truck gets overloaded. We like the kitchen layout and that the dinette and couch are across from each other, not next to each other as in traditional layouts. A true separate bedroom is also nice for this size. We really want to stay in the 25-26ft range. We're not buying anytime soon, but will upgrade in the next year or so.

Anyways, what is the difference between a Jay Feather and a StarCraft Ultra Lite? I can't find any good info aside from people complaining about the Jay Feather compared to a JayFlight. As far as the floor plans go, the Jay Feather has a door to the bathroom and the sink is inside the bathroom. Other than that, I can't find any major differences. The weights are all about the same though the Jay Feather has larger grey water and the StarCraft has a larger black tank.

2016 Jay Feather 26BHSW | Jayco, Inc.

Floorplans | Launch Ultra Lite | Light Weight Travel Trailers | Starcraft RV

This is a really good walk-thru video of the StarCraft.
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

I like the idea of a larger grey water tank for dishes and showers. Black tank uses just a few ounces for #1 and maybe 2 cups for #2.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

We will probably never pick a spot without hook-ups, though I guess it would be nice to have the larger grey water in case we ever did. I also like the outside access to the bathroom with the Jayco.

But what I really need to figure out is if there are any differences in construction, etc. I know StarCraft falls under Jayco and has the same warranty. They appear to be built the same, but I can't tell for sure.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #4

I picked up my Jay Feather 26bhsw this past Saturday. There are actually two grey water tanks. One for the kitchen sink and one for the bathroom sink & shower. There is a flip up storage cubby underneath the bottom bunk. The bed in the master bedroom also raises to reveal a decent sized storage area. The toilet is handle flush. Heat is also ducted. One vent next to the couch, one in the bathroom and one in the master bathroom. There is no propane hookup for an outside grill though.
njdanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the details. Doesn't send to be a widespread floorplan but we really like the layout. I wish there was more information about what it means to be a Jay Feather vs try the other lines. If you don't mind, keep this thread updated over the next season as you break it in.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #6

Hello all,
Great Information but I'm now having the same questions about the same floorplans (Jayco 26BHSW x Starcraft 26BHS).
We like the bigger (not cut) double bunks and the separated bathroom sink of the Starcraft but we were not able to visit them so far....
Anyone with experience one them can comment?
Looks like Starcraft are offered for a lower price... Is there a reason for that?

Tks !

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Looks like Starcraft are offered for a lower price... Is there a reason for that?

Tks !
There may be subtle differences also STARCRAFT is a seperate division and does not have the large campus to maintain since they are in TOPEKA. Totally different management team.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #8

Grumpy,
Can you comment on the subtle differences?
Anything that would affect quality?
I also liked the wall construction system on Starcraft but I have not found anyone with experience with it.... Any comments on that?

Tks,

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

Cosmetic not quality. I think JAYCO may have some grooved panel cabinet doors vs smooth, that kind of stuff. They both use the same wall construction process.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #10

Wow that thing looks nice in the video. We have an 06 jayco 29bhs with the same floor plan. things we like. The couch and dinette are across from each other, Kitchen in the corner gives a little more counter space and also acts like a noise barrier for the master bed room, sink and bath separate, huge awning. We feel so lucky that we lucked into a jayco, we had no idea what we were doing when buying. we could always tell the floor felt stronger in the jaycos and liked the floorplan. I think im hooked on jayco.