Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #1

New 2011 Jayco Jay Feather Sport X18D

Have four nights (two trips) under our belts and so far am impressed with the build quality and roominess of this three bed unit. There has been a bunch of stuff written about the 17Z/C units (almost all positive) and my comments would be mostly redundant. Here though, are some comments on the differences:

. 3rd pop-out : This is why we bought 18D over the 17Z. It gives the two kids their own curtained space - they love it. I have never been a fan of converting the dinette into sleeping space. It's kind of like putting people on a blow up bed when they visit during the holidays. It works but......
. Extra floor space: The addition of one foot (however they worked out that number is beyond me) is actually the width of the stove. It is amazing how much flexibility that added when moving around in a small camper.
. Twin axle vs. single axle and a dryweight of 4400 lbs - I'm pulling it with a V8 4Runner, WDH and anti sway bar. Great set up. It is the most stable platform I've ever configured. I certainly know it's back there but I have no complaints. By the time we load up, this is the sensible maximum for this vehicle (advertised 7000lb capacity less 20% = 5600lb real world). The iForce V8 has 330 lbs of torque at 1500 RPM and getting on the highway is no problem whatsoever. A little bit of complaining at 65 MPH when climbing a long grade but 4Runner's are not really built for extended hauling (it's supposed to go off road). With all that said, I would not really want to pull it with anything less.
. Canvas quality: My uncle has a $600,000 President Motor Yacht and the build quality on the canvas is no where near as good as the Jayco. Thanks Amish guys!

Anyways, here are some pictures:

One final comment: We ordered it with the decal delete option ($120, go figure). We wanted it to look as understated as possible. I have to admit it looks like the Italian sausage trailer at the county fair.
4dimnzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #2

I agree that the third slide out bed is a darn site better than having to sleep folks on the fold down dinette. Nice looking rig and tow vehicle. Looks like you are using McKesh towing mirrors.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #3

Delete decal option $120 ???

Must admit "understated" is the new "overstated" !!

Looks great !!! First time I've seen pics of the third bed.

Thanks for posting the pics !
Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #4

They are Mckesh mirrors. I could not imagine driving just on the stock mirrors.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #5

McKesh mirrors are fantastic - I had no idea you could order the Jayco without the decals! Now, I'm curious...why would they charge you 'not' to put them on?

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #6

The decal delete charges where based on the cost of putting a change order through their system/processes and get it to the shop floor. I didn't argue the point that they actually have at least a net zero on the financials as they save on the cost of the decals and get to use them on somebody elses rig (I actually paid for them when I bought the camper so it's not as if they unfunded leftover decal inventory).

Anyway, I am pleased with the price I paid and the delivery time (7 weeks) so the $120 seems minor.

To put this in perspective, I paid over four times this for my sports car and was beyond-steamed that they wanted an additional $90 for floor mats when I took delivery of the car.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #7

That is a nice looking camper. I did not know an 18D it existed. I've seen the side bunk in some other brands but did not know Jayco made one. I agree with using the dinette, it is like an air mattress at the holidays. The unit looks neat and clean without the decals, not aware you could do that either. I think RV companies tend to go overboard and overdo the decals.
RedWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #8

I was never a big fan of the RV graphics, and always was drawn to the models that had the paint option (darker color). I felt it helped enhance the graphics.

I really like the "no decal" option !
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #9

I found the 18D as a fluke. I was ready to order the 17Z. As I was surfing the Web agonizing over where to get the best deal I found that a store in Arizona that had just gotten back from the Jayco dealer conference had taken some pictures of the 18D at the show and thrown them up on their Web site.

I must have ordered a unit off one the first production runs (vs. pre-production - the show unit) as some of the wholesalers I was working with didn't have their pricing flushed out. Interestingly, none of these folks had told me about this model either.

I ordered it sight unseen from an outfit in Indiana figuring that I'd seen all the components Jayco uses anyways and if it was a bit bigger that the 17Z with the third bed that was good enough. What I didn't bank on was how great the addition of the vertical pantry made in the usability factor.

I've gotten a lot of comments about the decal delete - mostly positive. Without trying to sound snotty, I was just fed up with the design schemes of mountain lions attacking dolphins, swirling cosmic rays and names that belonged on tactical weapons such as Predator, Raptor and Buffet Cougar (okay, I made that one up).

With all that said - the family loves this thing and that's all that matters. I want to get a few years of great family stuff from this rig implanted in the kids brains before I'm too uncool to do things with (their mom is much cooler than me).

My dad did it for me. Now it's my turn.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #10

I've gotten a lot of comments about the decal delete - mostly positive. Without trying to sound snotty, I was just fed up with the design schemes of mountain lions attacking dolphins, swirling cosmic rays and names that belonged on tactical weapons such as Predator, Raptor and Buffet Cougar (okay, I made that one up).

I'm "way" with you on that one !!!
Not a big fan of the animal graphics either.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #11

Where you camping At??
Old 09-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #12

First outing was on the way back from picking it up in Indiana. We stopped at Laurel Highlands State Park, PA. Set it up in the pouring rain. Second trip was locally to the Eastern Shore of Maryland to acclimate the kids. Broke it down in the pouring rain.

We have another trip planned in Western Maryland later this month. After that we have a tent camping trip in the West Virginia mountains planned without the kids or RV. We take my BMW Z4 Roadster for that. Raises quite a few eyebrows when we pitch next to somebody with a big fiver
Old 09-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #13

I've been looking at this trailer lately as well, and was wondering just how big the beds are. Any chance you've got some measurements? Are all three of them the same size?

Thanks!

- Steve
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #14

Don't have the measurements handy. Here's what I do know:

The front and side bunks are advertised/sold as queen size. I believe that as we put queen fitted sheets on those beds and they fit perfectly. The rear bunk is supposed to be a full bed but we have not put sheets on it. Our 8 year old has staked that out as his domain and he loves using a sleeping bag along with his Pokemon warriors that, according to him, protect us at night from "crittor's". I tend to believe him as we have all been safe except of these awful stink bugs.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #15

4dimnzn...I like your comments about the naming conventions on the trailers...and the 'cool' factor! Your rig looks pretty darn clean to me - had I know the option existed I would have done the same....

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dimnzn View Post

With all that said - the family loves this thing and that's all that matters. I want to get a few years of great family stuff from this rig implanted in the kids brains before I'm too uncool to do things with (their mom is much cooler than me).

My dad did it for me. Now it's my turn.
"Buffet Cougar", now that's cool though probably out as a US military weapons tag! Your sentiment about getting the kids/ family camping et al is spot on for me as well and it goes without saying their mom is cooler than I am.