Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

New here with Jayco WH 25 BHS. Tell us what we need to know

All help welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thepoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:54 AM   #2

Welcome and congrats on the 25!!!

Is this your first trailer ever? Or do you have a little experience with trailers? Gives us an idea of your background.

You will want to level the trailer as much as possible when using the fridge. Back into the site and figure out roughly how level or out of level the site is. Pull forward a little, and place enough boards or the Lego leveling blocks down on the ground behind the low side tires. Back onto the boards, and check for level again. If level, place your wheel chocks I front and behind a tire on each side. Then unhook the tv (tow vehicle) and once it is out of the way, level the trailer front to rear.

Here is a recent post of mine to another new member in regards to accessories, both needed and optional. Though the list varies depending on each person!!!

As for accessories, Walmart and Amazon will be your best friend.

I have bought the following at Walmart:
Camco sewer hose kit. Comes with a transparent elbow, and the "doughnut", plus 2-10' hoses for under $30. Last I knew the online price was about $22, and the store matched it.
50a male to 30a female adapter and a 15a male to 30a female adapter. Both are about 1' long.
90* elbow for the fresh water hose so it doesn't bend/kink where it connects at the camper.
Water pressure regulator- though the camco one is a cheap, entry level model.
Stick on level indicators. Get trailer level, then stick these on if you choose to. I have one on the front wall and one on the side wall of the trailer, both at the front drivers side corner. Easy to hop out of the truck to check how level the trailer is.

Amazon:
Fridge retainer spring bars for the outdoor fridge. Keeps drinks in place. No issues with food in the inside fridge.

Available at either or other stores like Menards:
30a extension cord. Sometimes you may need a longer cord to reach the electric pedestal.
Fresh water hose. How much you carry depends on where you camp. We actually have 160' total: 2-50', 2-25', and a 10'. I have actually used more than that to get water from 2 sites over that a friend was on that had water h/u, our site didn't.
Wheel chocks- you need a set of 4.
Some form of boards or "Lego blocks" to level the trailer side to side. I use 2x10's. Have two long enough for both wheels to fit on, then cut a third one in half. Treated boards from a lumber yard obviously. Cut an angle on the ends.

Optional:
Awning mat.
Water jug. May need once trailer is set up if you run out of water.
Fire tongs & poker/ hot dog forks.
Bacon grease/ paper towel- great fire starters!!!
One thing I need to still get, an electrical management system. Will protect from surges, over/under voltage, and more depending on the model.
The normal camp chairs, grill, possibly an ez up, etc....

We use household toilet paper.

To winterizing with the antifreeze, you do not want to buy the stuff that has ethanol in it, only the glycol. So check the bottle for which type it is.

I probably missed something.

Hope this helps you get started!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

Thank you need-a-vacation!! We are trading in our 2016 Rockwood AFrame. We love it, but it is not enough space for 3 people and 2 labs. so we have a little experience with towing a pop up with simple electrical and plumbing systems. This will be a complete change in towing and plumbing tanks. I think we are getting a good deal and a barely used WH. Your information is good, I will use your list well[emoji3]

Old 09-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

Need a Vacation did a great job providing some basic info. The search feature of this forum will allow you to expand on anything he already pointed out or even things he didn't.

Welcome to the group and enjoy the new Rig! There are lots of great people here...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #5

Poms,

YW!!! I figured it would be enough to get you "in trouble" starting out!!! Lol

Everybody's "list" varies, so each trip you guys take, you will learn what works, what doesn't, and what you want but may not really have to have!!! Having the aframe will have given you some experience.

Some may suggest the X-chocks, but if you decide to go with them, please still use regular wheel chock to keep the trailer from possibly rolling away. There has been a few reports of that happening when only X-chocks had been used.

The fridge can take up to a day to cool down. I have actually started using ice bottles (Powerade/Gatorade, apple juice type bottles) to help when first firing the fridge up.

Make sure you get a good wdh and the proper rated bars. Do not go by the "brochure" dry weight, as that doesn't include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery on the tongue. Plus everything else that gets loaded in the tt. You may need to readjust the wdh once the tt is loaded, and ready for a trip. If buying from a dealer, they only set up the wdh to an empty trailer. Follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info.

Another tip, do not drain the black or gray tanks until they are close to full. And once you empty the tanks, put 2g of water back in the gray, and maybe 3-4g in the black. Helps keep stuff from drying it and sticking real bad.

If you have any other questions, just ask!!!

Marc,

TY!!!

Old 09-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Now your TT is a bunch taller than the A-frame. Be aware of low hanging things like wires, branches, bridges, etc. The A/C getting cleaned off the roof isn't a pleasant sound.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

Welcome!

1 don't forget the grey water hose.
2 I have a 5 gallon jug with spout to set up on the bumper next to the outdoor kitchen because the 25BHD has no no sink to rinse small items and hands. I as actually have the BBQ attachment on the bumper that I don't use so it works great to hold the jug and it swings around to the side of the kitchen.
3 I put some stick to the wall led lights from lowes over the queen bed. One for each side to read cause the trailer ones are so bright.
4. I agree Amazon and Walmart is the best place for shopping. I had so many packages from Amazon it was crazy and I dropped $500 at the super Walmart.
5. Stop the rocking of the trailer I did just last week. Takes 99% of the movement of the trailer when people walk or even roll over in bed. See picture.
6 get rid of the wardrobe closet and put shelves.
7 picked up a shelf with hooks and screwed under the thermostat.
8 upgraded my thermostat to a digital one from Amazon worth the money. It's a MACH Coleman.

Of course there is much more buying added some mods that are great to have.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoms View Post
All help welcome!

Here a snapshot of some of things that I found helpful from Amazon. Especially the paper towel holder. I bought 2 one for inside and one for the outdoor kitchen. Also there are s couple items in the list that are for my home but you can hopefully see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #9

Amazon #2
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #10

Amazon #3
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #11

Amazon #4

Now the mat stakes kinda suck but work and the mesh screen is to put as a liner between the fridge covers so spiders and bug don't hangout in the back of my fridge. The cheapest and most durable front door mat is at Walmart! It's like 8x15' and works great. But nothing beats upgrading the thermostat to digital. I was hesitant to spend the money cause heck I just bought a 30k TT and a 60K truck but it was totally worth being able to set it digitally then using a slide temp to get it just right.

Happy trailering! May you see sunsets that blow your mind and gaze at the stars at night making great memories.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #12

That great! We have some of the items from our previous trailer, but I will add the rest to the list. How do you install the mesh over the fridge vents? Do you put mesh over all vents?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #13

I bought one of the Sidewinder sewer hose accordion supports. Used it once, and never again!!! IMHO it is a wasted of money.

Reason being is when you stretch out the support, then dump the tanks, the sewer hose sags between each support, having low spots that "stuff" gets stuck in. This requires lifting of the hose to empty. I needed to do that before spending the money on the support anyway.

A better solution is to use a 4" u shaped gutter to support the sewer hose. Just set it on a few blocks if you need to raise it a little.... Or buy the support, and set the gutter on it, then lay the hose in the gutter..

From what I could see, the rest of the items should work pretty good!

Old 09-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #14

You take off the black covers and the mesh comes with Velcro so you just carefully cut it to size and attach. It does say on the cover do not block the vents but the mesh is very light and enough air will be able to circulate IMO but only advice so take it with a grain of salt. Don't know long term effects to limiting air flow a bit. I have seen on this forum where people put mods behind the fridge by adding additional fans to push air around so there may be need for that down the road. This is my first trailer and I have not yet experienced a faulty fridge. I have learned a lot of to do's and what not to do's on this forum. It pretty awesome cause I enjoy my trailer and I love tinkering around on it doing cool mods and upgrades.

FYI - I have had no problems with the sidewinder but again I have not had to stretch it out very long yet and it says it goes to 20' but I do agree with need-a-vacation that it is a little of a pain in the arse to get the tube to lay just right and I use fire wood to put in a downward flow. I like the idea of the gutter but I bought my trailer and most of this stuff before I came across this forum. Wish I came here first to learn all I know now from the veterans of this new hobby

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #15

I also have a 2016 whitehawk 25 BHS. Spoke to a fellow RVer on my last time out. He recommended a water filter system. Said he hooked up to a site where there was a high concentration of sulfer, resulting in his water system smelling like rotten eggs. Sounds like a good investment.
Attached Thumbnails
56670nnew.jpg   87721n.jpg  
3hounds is offline   Reply With Quote