Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #21

Did you cut the holes out bigger in the side of the camper to accommodate the bigger speakers?
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Did you cut the holes out bigger in the side of the camper to accommodate the bigger speakers?

Yes I did. I used my dremel trio which is like a rotozip. Don't use a saw because you could splinter the wood and fiberglass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:46 AM   #23

We have a Hummingbird 17RK, its stored now, and I want to upgrade the speakers. You said they were 5" units? I can't fit Magnapans which would be my first choice, what are good car speakers I don't know much about 12-volt stereo systems. I remember Nakamichi made cars systems as a friend had one, are they still around?
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #24

The inside speakers are 4" and I replaced them with 6" Fusion audio's. The external speakers are 5" and I replaced with 6.5" clarion marine speakers. For your exterior you want a marine grade speaker due to they are exposed to the weather like on a boat minus the salt water. My favorite brand of speakers are Kickers or JL audio but the upper quality of speakers are expensive. The 6.5" kickers I put in my Harley were $200 a pair. And your JL's will be in the same range. What you need to think about is how often are you going to be using your system and how you will use it. My favorite marine boat speakers are Fusion and Wetsounds both are not cheap. The 6" Fusions I used inside were $50 because they are shallow mount speakers which is a must for your roof mount. There is only 1" between the inside ceiling and exterior roof and the 1" ring with the 4" speakers. On the inside that means no airspace for the speaker to move which muffles your sound. Shallow mount and a larger ring pod makes a world of difference.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #25

On the exterior I went with Clarion which makes a decent speaker at a good price. These were only $57 if you don't won't to upgrade to 6.5" speakers the 6" Fusion's will fit almost perfectly in the exterior holes with minor trimming.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #26

But again you need to think how often will you be sitting with your stereo cranked up while camping and I love peace and quiet but I also love my music so I went with mid range on price so I still get a great sound and can spend more money to upgrade other things.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:15 AM   #27

I generally don't crank up my music anymore, but I can't stand any distortion of the sound. I want a Fender to sound like a Fender and a Taylor to sound like a Taylor. Thanks for the information on the speakers! Sounds like you have a great system in your 'bird.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:31 AM   #28

Chicken. Does that Pioneer have Sirius XM Ready?

If so, did you install the Kit? Where did you mount the Antenna?

That stereo install looks great. Excellent work.

Anyone install a SiriusXM Antenna INSIDE the trailer? How's the reception?
Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 AM   #29

New radio/DVD for the Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja View Post
Chicken. Does that Pioneer have Sirius XM Ready?

If so, did you install the Kit? Where did you mount the Antenna?

That stereo install looks great. Excellent work.

Anyone install a SiriusXM Antenna INSIDE the trailer? How's the reception?

Yes it is XM ready but I have not installed the kit. But I already have several car mount XM's that I move from vehicle to vehicle depending on which one I am driving. I will be adding a car mount that will just plug in to the aux port but I will be running the antenna for a permanent mount.

When you open up where the stereo is located there is a hole drilled for the power wires of the LED lights under your awning. I am going to just make that hole large enough to get the small end of the XM antenna through it then run the antenna up the side by the awning then mount it to the roof with some white silicone. Also cover the small amount of antenna that will be seen on the side with a small amount of white silicone to keep it from flapping and hide it.

If you are adding the kit it will be very simple and you can run the antenna just the same.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #30

I finally got the install video completed. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions just ask.

https://youtu.be/NrYWdQG_W_Y
Old 03-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #31

Here is the video for the speaker install

https://youtu.be/dJpyabjOjOQ
Old 05-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #32

Just bought our 2017 Hummingbird and I agree the stereo is total crap. The ceiling mounted Magnadyne speakers are terrible. The 1" plastic spacers do not permit putting any decent speaker in. I am going to replace them with 6-1/2 with deeper spacers. Any ideas?
doctorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #33

watched your video but not willing to make my own spacers
Old 05-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorbob View Post
watched your video but not willing to make my own spacers

Another option PVC

(2)6" schedule 40 PVC caps
6-8" piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe
(1) can of spray paint for plastic

That should work for 6.5’s

Used that to make speaker pods for rollbars
Old 10-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #35

Great job!

I am going to look into getting the same system. Thanks
for all the information and the video. Cheers!
RDEBREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #36

speaker spacers

I actually found some MDF spacers meant for 6.5" speakers that are perfect for extending the interior speaker mounts. They are 3/4" thick and about 2 mm larger in diameter than the existing mounts, so they glue together into a stack that looks pretty good and will permit a 2.5" deep speaker to replace the horrible factory hot tub speakers. I put Infinity Kappa's in the new mounts and the sound difference is like night and day.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put a pair of Polk MM1's on the outside and the sound improvement is amazing. The stock speakers look like they have coaxial tweeters but they are just aluminized mylar whizzer cones. The stock stereo has line outs so I put in a Clarion 4 channel EQ and a 4 channel Pioneer class D amp (45w rms/ch). This lets me independently control the volume of the interior and exterior speakers instead of just turning them off or on like the stock system.

I also added a Pioneer TS-SWX2002 8" sub and 200w amp that really warms up the deep bass. With the inner and outer speakers cranked it sounds like a live band. 2 100 Ah AGM batteries and 200w of solar round out the system.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:41 AM   #37

Awesome way easier then making my own lol.