Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #1

New (used) Jay Feather owners!

We just picked up a 2006 Jay Feather 29y trailer! It's one massive beast for a first RV, but our growing family dictates getting something with some space... We got it home and pretty much yarded all of our camping stuff into the trailer to 'organize' when we got to camp. Not the best way to do things, but I had a couple of days off and we were too excited to hit the road!

The trip went great - my wife and I were able to get the trailer set up like pros! The Tahoe tows it really well and I'm glad I bought the Equalizer hitch set-up.

Couple of questions if I could?

Our black water tank guage says 2/3 even if it's empty. Is there a fix for this? I think Thetford makes a cleaner you can put in the tank - has anyone tried it?

Does anyone know of a sewer hose that fits the built-in 'tube' compartment? The connection 'tabs' on ours just barely won't fit.

I'm sure I'll come up with many more! Overall, I'm really happy with how well everything is working and can't wait to take another trip!
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #2

You will find the tanks monitors are not very accurate. Any residual water or TP that gets on them messes up the readings. Once it sits for a while and dries it will probably go back to empty. You can really only use the gauges as a guide and will "learn" your tanks. The most accurate way of reading the black tank is to flush and look down the hole.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #3

Sewer hose storage & tank indicators

First:

Don't know what they are thinking when they install the storage compartment as the fittings will NOT slide in. I found plans for storage tube that looks to be just ideal, made from 5" square vinyl fence post and gutter.

See at: http://rvbasics.com/techtips/RV-Sewer-Hose-Storage.html

Think I will install across front of trailer just behind batteries.

Second:

The indicator lites installed in tanks seem to work good until you use the tanks. Just before we left on vacation this summer I filled both my grey and black water tanks about 1/3 full and dumped in some Calgon. We left on vacation and when we stopped for the first night at the RV park with full services I hooked up and dumped the tanks as normal. You should have seen the black crap "pun intended" that came out of both tanks. Surprise, the lites started working again so the sensors were clear.

By the way, it is not the most pleasent sight of course, but I recommend that you use a clear plastic elbow, 90 or 45 degree, at sewer connection so you can monitor how things are going. It's very important that you don't use too much TP as it is the biggest cause of black tank problems.

I always tell users of my toilet "one or two sheets at a time, if you get some on your fingers that is why the sink is so close." Also is is very important that you use a TP that breaks down easy. We use Charmin Basic and it seems to work great but I think that any "septic safe" TP would work. If unsure put 1 sheet in glass jar, fill 1/2 way with water & put on lid. Give it a slight shake and let sit for a minute or so. If the TP has not disolved I would not recomend using it in RV. By the way, if you have the bucks, TP designed for RV's is good.

WillYum
WillYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #4

Thanks WillYum for the link! I will be making that for my Octane for sure. I just have to decide where to put it.
MacEFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips! I'll try a tank cleaning for my next trip and if I have the space I really like the idea of mounting the sewer hose holder behind the batteries. Darn Jay Feather doesn't have any sort of bumper to use... I do like the "corvette" tail lights though!
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #6

Hi WillYum, we own a 29N, and you are right about the sewer storage tube...not many fit, I used a dremel to grind off the tabs on my hose and only ues that tube for an extension if I need it. I also used PVC fence post for my main hose carrier and found that it holds a 25' hose and all the connectors, you will find that the tube being square you have extra room and it fits behind the LP tanks just fine. This is about the only pic that I have that shows it.
Attached Thumbnails
Truck & Camper 2.jpg  
Mark, KB9OPW
Deb, KC9SCA
markndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #7

Hi again

Don't know if you have looked at web site but they are using 5" gutter as a sort of drawer to slide hose on and you can use it under the hose when you get set up instead of the almost useless sizzor support I have.

WillYum
WillYum is offline   Reply With Quote