Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

New Whitehawk Owner

Just picked up our new baby last night. 18 hour round trip over two days. Very excited. Only thing dissapointed with thus far is when I am plugged into 120v the small outside fridge stays on. In the manual it references turning the thermostat off in the fridge to shut off, but this fridge has NO thermostat in sight. First mod will be installing a power shut off switch for that.

blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #2

Wow... that looks so nice under those lights. Congrats
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

I have the same model and had the same outside frig problem. I also could not get my are or my daughters arm through the access or the side of the unit to unplug it.

I ended up cutting a larger opening inside the storage compartment, reaching across, unplugging the unit then I plugged a power strip with a switch into the outlet. I then mounted the power strip to the wall. Now I have a frig that can be turned off, and 5 additional outlets.
Congratulations on the new Whitehawk. We really love ours!!

Steven, Michelle, and Ashley
2012 Whitehawk 28DSBH
2008 Dodge 1500 STX
bigdaddyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

On my model the temperature control switch is a rotating dial located on the right rear as you face the front of the Danby cooler. The access panel in the rear has a notch cut out so you can adjust the dial. It's not convenient, but it does allow you to adjust the cooling or turn the unit off.

Congratulations on your new White Hawk.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyss View Post
I have the same model and had the same outside frig problem. I also could not get my are or my daughters arm through the access or the side of the unit to unplug it.

I ended up cutting a larger opening inside the storage compartment, reaching across, unplugging the unit then I plugged a power strip with a switch into the outlet. I then mounted the power strip to the wall. Now I have a frig that can be turned off, and 5 additional outlets.
Congratulations on the new Whitehawk. We really love ours!!

I like this fix even better! thanks for the idea!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #6

blkcorvair,

I am looking at getting the same model white hawk. Quick question for you... what is your SUV tow vehicle? Do you feel it has adequate power to tow the 28DSBH? Thanks in advance! BTW, as healthi said, looks great under those lights!
telefonclockdesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #7

I'm using a 2010 Ford F150 rated for 9600 lb max tow capacity ( which is maybe a little high ) but our whitehawk 28dsbh only weighs 5800 from the factory. That weight is including most of the bells and whistles. The truck tows this trailer with little effort. Great trailer by the way, we realy enjoy ours.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #8

Newbie here

Hi all,

New to this forum - I picked up my 2012 28DSBH in May; this is my first TT and am towing it with my 2002 Chevy Suburban 2500 w/ 6.0L engine. So far it's been great!

Have a couple of electrical issues though...

- When using the A/C on high fan, I've tripped the camp site breaker a few times; I had to switch to low fan speed.

- Also, can't use 120v coffee maker when A/C unit is on without tripping an internal breaker.

I was told this is because of the 30 amp service as opposed to getting a TT with 50 amp service.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks for tip about Danby refrig... it keeps freezing everything on me!! Just went outside, checked for the thermostat, found it and LOWERED IT!!!
You guys just made my day... Thanks!
JM144NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #9

Welcome to the forums. I think you are really going to enjoy the new White Hawk. About the outside fridge. There is an access panel (if you want to call it an access panel) inside the camper.The thermostat is at the top left hand side of the fridge. We had to find it due to the fact all the drinks frose!!
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmaniacs View Post
I'm using a 2010 Ford F150 rated for 9600 lb max tow capacity ( which is maybe a little high ) but our whitehawk 28dsbh only weighs 5800 from the factory. That weight is including most of the bells and whistles. The truck tows this trailer with little effort. Great trailer by the way, we realy enjoy ours.
Crewmaniacs, thanks for the info. I have an '03 F150 rated to pull 8200#, which I am not concerned about considering the GVWR of the 28DSBH is 7500#. However, my hitch says 8700# tow (obviously not a concern) and 870# tongue when using weight distributing hitches, which is where I start to wonder... I have read here on the forum that you should expect up to 15% of the gross trailer weight to be tongue weight. Well, 15% of 5800# dry from the factory is right at the limit (870# of tongue weight). This doesn't leave any breathing room for my jars of Ragu, if you get my drift. Do you know what the hitch rating is on your 2010 F150? I am beginning to think that I should upgrade my hitch before I pick up the 28DSBH (with most of the bells and whistles, as you put it) in mid Aug. Anyone else care to share their thoughts on my possible dilemma? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #11

If you can, load up your TV and TT so it's ready for camping. Fill the gas, water that you would normally carry, passengers, etc. and head to a CAT scale. It will cost you about $10-11 to weigh the different combinations but it will either give you peace of mind or a much more realistic assessment of your true towing situation.

See this link for details on how to weigh your rig: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3871

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM144NJ View Post
Hi all,

New to this forum - I picked up my 2012 28DSBH in May; this is my first TT and am towing it with my 2002 Chevy Suburban 2500 w/ 6.0L engine. So far it's been great!

Have a couple of electrical issues though...

- When using the A/C on high fan, I've tripped the camp site breaker a few times; I had to switch to low fan speed.

- Also, can't use 120v coffee maker when A/C unit is on without tripping an internal breaker.

I was told this is because of the 30 amp service as opposed to getting a TT with 50 amp service.

Anyone else having similar problems?

!
Our 2009 tt a/c will trip the breakers if on full blast and trying to run the microwave. Although we don't like this, we did get used to it.

Congrats on your new Whitehawk.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #13

I haven't had any problems with our 32bhds. We've had the A/C running on high, microwave, cooktop fan, 2 Tv's, lights & bedside fan and never have had it trip. I read on here that running microwave while A/C will trip the breaker so we would turn off A/C before running microwave and my hubby wanted to experiment so now we don't turn anything off.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by telefonclockdesk View Post
Crewmaniacs, thanks for the info. I have an '03 F150 rated to pull 8200#, which I am not concerned about considering the GVWR of the 28DSBH is 7500#. However, my hitch says 8700# tow (obviously not a concern) and 870# tongue when using weight distributing hitches, which is where I start to wonder... I have read here on the forum that you should expect up to 15% of the gross trailer weight to be tongue weight. Well, 15% of 5800# dry from the factory is right at the limit (870# of tongue weight). This doesn't leave any breathing room for my jars of Ragu, if you get my drift. Do you know what the hitch rating is on your 2010 F150? I am beginning to think that I should upgrade my hitch before I pick up the 28DSBH (with most of the bells and whistles, as you put it) in mid Aug. Anyone else care to share their thoughts on my possible dilemma? Thanks.
Ragu.... lol

I checked my receiver hitch, and it said 1050 lb max tongue hitch wt, with a max trailer wt of 10500 lbs.

I'm going to guess with batteries and a few things , chairs, gazeboo, pots,pans , etc etc i've added maybe 400-500 lbs to the trailer. So I'm around the 900lb mark for tongue wt at 15%.

So yes you might want to upgrade your hitch receiver if you want to carry a lot of Ragu.... , better safe than sorry.

hope that helps,
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #15

My TV is a 2008 Chrysler Aspen. With the Hemi it has a Tow rating of 8900 lbs. I made sure to get a real good WD hitch (Reese dual Cam) It actually tows great now that I have it loaded. I think a little more tongue weight helped. I added dual GC batteries and the electric tongue jack, than we packed it full O stuff. Tows like its not even there. When hitting the hills I let it slow down and thats prolly only time It feels heavy. But always able to keep it over 55. Tows fine at 60-65 all day. So far I ran into two more, one being pulled by a new Chevy 1500 and another by a 99 F150 Triton. Both guys said it towed gret for them as well. I remember the Chevy guy had the Dual Cam hitch as well.

I do have the 1200lb bars FYI.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #16

Thanks, Crewmaniacs. You definitely confirmed for me that it would give me peace of mind to just go ahead and upgrade the hitch now. I appreciate the info very much!

blkcorvair, that Aspen packs an impressive punch! I did not expect those numbers. Thank you for the info as well. However, I think that I am leaning toward the Equal-i-zer sway control hitch. No major reason except that it is what the dealer recommended for an integrated sway control WD hitch and after doing some online research, it looks like a good set-up.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by telefonclockdesk View Post
Thanks, Crewmaniacs. You definitely confirmed for me that it would give me peace of mind to just go ahead and upgrade the hitch now. I appreciate the info very much!

blkcorvair, that Aspen packs an impressive punch! I did not expect those numbers. Thank you for the info as well. However, I think that I am leaning toward the Equal-i-zer sway control hitch. No major reason except that it is what the dealer recommended for an integrated sway control WD hitch and after doing some online research, it looks like a good set-up.
Yes that EQ hitch looks great as well. If I installed it myself I would definatally opted for that. But since the dealer had the dual cam I aloowed them to install it. (Althought when I got there they mistakenly put a standard friction sway on it) They had to remove and install the DC before I left.

I couldnt believe the tow rating on that Aspen eitherm, and I was still real skeptical, but she proved to be a nice tow rig!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #18

Congrats on the new rig ... looks great!

John
2011 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213
2000 Chevy 2500HD Silverado
jmoors is offline   Reply With Quote