Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

No hot water!

I just bought a 2013 Jayco White Hawk 29SQB and took it out for the first time this weekend. Our TT has the 6 Gallon Atwood LP Gas Water Heater DSI Gas/Electric Model, and as near as I can figure neither gar or electric is working. I did a little research and figured that the winterizing system valve on the tank might still be open. Any thoughts?
Washington State
james.l.devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

James, I assume you're taking about the water heater bypass. Take a look at the back of the water heater [inside]. Locate the two water lines that go into the heater and make sure that the valves in those lines are parallel [open], and the valve in the line that runs between those two is perpendicular [closed], that is the bypass line. This will allow water to enter the heater. Also, open the nearest faucet to allow any NO gas to escape as the heater fills. The only issue may be that if you turned on the electric to the heater with no water in it, you can fry the element in less than 60 seconds. Hope that's not the case and this is indeed what you are talking about. Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

Another way to confirm you have water in the tank is to open the pressure relief valve (at the top of the tank, at the outside hatch). It is also a nice way to remove the air from the tank as you fill it.

You do not state this is your first TT, but I am guessing so. If you do not plan to use the TT for a few weeks, I recommend draining the water heater tank too. Otherwise you might get an icky tasting, fowl smelling water at the facets. To drain the tank open the outside cover, on the lower edge of the tank is a plastic plug (15/16” socket), remove it and the tank will slowly drain, and then open the pressure relief valve at the top of the tank and the water will pour out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #4

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

Seems the dealership left the water heater bypass valve open, which was allowing water to the heater but also allowed the cold to bypass. I shut the valve and we have hot water! Thanks for the comments....saved me about a hour trip to my Jayco dealer
Washington State
james.l.devore is offline   Reply With Quote