Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #1

norcold N302R/145RB How to operate unit on 120v

The Norcold N302R in my 2014 145RB works well on LP/Propane.
I can't seem to get it to work on 120V.
I know that patience is required for the unit to function on AC.
The manual I received with the TT is for an entirely different unit and offers no info for AC operation.
The mode switch on the upper right for the unit has 4 positions.
As follows; from right to left: Off, LP, Electric, and an additional unmarked position without any indication of what it is. So...Which position should the switch be in to run on electric? (Shore power)
The 120v outlet on the back side that is accessable from outside does indeed have 120V and the refrigerator is plugged in correctly.
How do I get it to work on shore power AC?
Thanks!
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
The Norcold N302R in my 2014 145RB works well on LP/Propane.
I can't seem to get it to work on 120V.
I know that patience is required for the unit to function on AC.
The manual I received with the TT is for an entirely different unit and offers no info for AC operation.
The mode switch on the upper right for the unit has 4 positions.
As follows; from right to left: Off, LP, Electric, and an additional unmarked position without any indication of what it is. So...Which position should the switch be in to run on electric? (Shore power)
The 120v outlet on the back side that is accessable from outside does indeed have 120V and the refrigerator is plugged in correctly.
How do I get it to work on shore power AC?
Thanks!
The unmarked position is probably BATTERY. My norcold (184 BH) is a 3 way - LP, Battery, 120V.

In 120V mode, it takes a LONG time to cool down - like 8-10hrs. I usually turn it on the night before I leave on a camping trip so that its ready on the day of.

You'll know its working after an hour or so if you put your hand on the exterior vent - you'll feel the warmth.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

Also check to make sure it's plugged in.

I had the same problem with mine (not working on AC). When I popped off the covers on the outside of the trailer I found that it wasn't plugged in....
BrettSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses!
However, the TT is in at the dealer for warranty work.
Refer unit was plugged in to 120V power (AC) and never cooled, no matter how patient I was, and it stopped working on LP gas too.
It would lite and stay burning for +/_ 5 minutes and shut down.
So... the dealer will check it out on warranty work and get back to me.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #5

Let us know what happens with that Norcold. I have been having problems with mine as well, it cannot keep a steady temp and will range from the 40's to the 70's throughout the course of the day. I took it in to the dealer and they just called to tell me that they cannot duplicate the fluctuations in temp and therefore cannot do anything for me.

I would love to know if your dealer is able to pinpoint a specific problem so that I can check it on mine.

Good Luck!
CevCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #6

[QUOTE=CevCamper;158051]Let us know what happens with that Norcold. I have been having problems with mine as well, it cannot keep a steady temp and will range from the 40's to the 70's throughout the course of the day. I took it in to the dealer and they just called to tell me that they cannot duplicate the fluctuations in temp and therefore cannot do anything for me.

I would love to know if your dealer is able to pinpoint a specific problem so that I can check it on mine.

As has been mentioned in previous threads, I had to purchase a fan and install it behind the refrigerator to get my fridge to cool ok. Even with that it will struggle in heat over 90 degrees, but at least it will safely keep the food cold. I purchased my fan off of amazon and it is fairly easy to install if you are comfortable with a little electrical work. The fan is nice and turns on and off as needed. I believe they sell for about $30 right now and they do work well.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

The Norcold unit in our new 145RB would not cool.
I called the dealer today and was informed that a new thermocouple is on "order".
I'll post again if the new part fixes the problem.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #8

The refrigerator has been repaired as warranty work and it now functions on gas and electric.