Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

Overhead light covers

Hello,

Brand new member here with a camper I haven't used yet-- a baby 2015 JayFlight Swift 145RB.

My question sure sounds dumb but I've broken plastic tabs before trying to pry off things and then re-assembly is a problem.

I'm talking about the covers for the overhead lights. They are oval shaped and two different sizes. There are small slots at the ceiling that sure imply you only need to insert a screwdriver and twist. But I have tried that and I thought I was going to ruin the ceiling and rip the whole light down as nothing seemed to want to move.

I really don't want to break some plastic retaining tab, so, how do you get these covers off? I am just trying to see if there are regular bulbs in there and I will probably replace with LED as I anticipate a fair amount of dry camping. Thank you for reading.

I don't even know if this is the right forum. How do I know if I should be in the Travel Trailer forum or the Lite/Ultralight forum? I chose Lite because it's tiny.
DBSBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #2

DBS,
Welcome to the forum!
I'm not sure what your fixtures look like. Can you post a picture for us?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #3

Take your hand and apply a little pressure to the frosty part of the fixture and slide it to the outside. The tabs find a larger opening and pop out. That is if they're anything like mine.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Not nearby

Thanks folks, but the camper is not in the yard so I can't take a picture. I figured they'd be common across product lines. They are oval, frosted lens, white plastic against the ceiling, with two small slots against the ceiling on each side. I realize I sound like a dub but I can fix about anything and I'm really quite handy! I just don't want to break any tabs off. I pried quite hard until I was denting the ceiling when I decided to back off and ask the experts.

I have been reading a lot here trying to get up to speed on many fronts. I still need a battery and I think I'm going to save a little money and go for the single 12 volt instead of two six volt golf cart batteries. I think I've bought most everything else. Planning on a three week trip in the fall. Work is still getting in the way!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #5

TCNash is probably on the right track. Our HTT had oval lights with 2 lenses. As TCNash says a little pressure and slide to the side. Our current 5th has one lens versions in closets and compartments but it's the same to remove.
If you have incandescent bulbs consider upgrading to LED. Less heat, small power requirement and a long life. Most replacements are plug-n-play.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #6

DBS
This is one of my "half lights". If you look close you can see where I've slid the cover about 1/2". It's ready to lift off the fixture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA69F335-A73B-4A0B-94F3-72C11D3EA513.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	31204

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-07-2017, 05:43 AM   #7

I'm going to pull the ceiling down!

Thanks for the effort Redhorse, but mine are different. I visited the trailer yesterday and took pictures. I also tried again to get the cover off. I stuck a screwdriver into the slot and twisted until I was denting the ceiling and I thought I was going to pry the entire unit off the ceiling leaving big holes behind! Honestly, this is ridiculous. If there is some trick to it, I wish it was in the owner's manual.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0831.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #8

DBS, I have similar light fixtures (pictured here). The center portion of the fixture (lens cover) pops out to allow access to the light bulbs. You can remove it by inserting a thin-blade screwdriver gently into the seam between the lens and the surrounding white plastic base. The lens is held into the oval-shaped plastic base by a few small tabs, and carefully inserting the screwdriver into the seam will flex the lens enough to pop a tab free, allowing you to remove it from the base.

At least that's how mine work...
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #9

Hmmmm, I will check that later. It sure looks like the whole thing comes off, otherwise, why the slots?? I hope it works. Thanks for responding.

David
Old 05-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #10

Same problem with mine camping this last weekend when a bunch of LED's went out in a main light. I had to use a screwdriver and a small pick to pull the cover away where the tabs were. I used some blue painters tape I had to make sure I didn't make bad marks in the ceiling as I was headed that way...

So far - I can't seem to find a place that sells the light as parts, they seem to want to sell the base and cover as an assembly.

BTW - Exact same type of light..

Jason
HennaOjisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #11

Success!

Wahoo is the winner! A thin blade between the frosted lens and the white frame and the lens comes right out easily. Those slots in the white base against the ceiling?? Just a red herring! I discovered that the white base will come off, but not as easily as the lens itself. (the slots aren't where the tabs are)

Now, for the other shoe, and I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry, after all that, they were LED anyway. Now, in fairness to myself, that is what I was trying to find out, and I am saving money, but I was pretty sure it had standard bulbs.

So, I am one step closer to our maiden voyage in our baby camper!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8310.jpg  
Old 05-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #12

Glad to hear you got to the bulbs without damaging anything.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote