Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Question Owners of the White Hawk 33BHBS or similar

Question(s).

I've looked through the information packet dealer handed me.

I am not sure about one thing. Greasing the wheel hubs. How often should they be greased and are they sealed? I can't determine if the center hub can come off completely or just the top (cap ) of the hub. Don't want to tear it up just yet.

T2daniel? Got anything about this?

Thanks.

Brian.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

I believe the maintenance schedue is every year or 12,000 miles. The Whitehawks have easy lube axles which means you can inject grease into the center of the hub with a grease gun. there is a zerk fitting undr the dust cap. You jack up the trailer and spin the wheel while slowly pumping grease into the hub and scraping off the old grease as it is forced out by the new. Be careful not to pump too fast as you don't want to blow a back seal and get grease inside the brakes. There are many videos on line and I believe on the dexter website.

There was just a thread on ezlube or old school bearing repack. Different opinions and it was said that dexter recommends old school bearing repack. Don't know why dexter makes an ezlube if they don't recommend using it.

Bearings are not sealed

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post
I believe the maintenance schedue is every year or 12,000 miles. The Whitehawks have easy lube axles which means you can inject grease into the center of the hub with a grease gun. there is a zerk fitting undr the dust cap. You jack up the trailer and spin the wheel while slowly pumping grease into the hub and scraping off the old grease as it is forced out by the new. Be careful not to pump too fast as you don't want to blow a back seal and get grease inside the brakes. There are many videos on line and I believe on the dexter website.

There was just a thread on ezlube or old school bearing repack. Different opinions and it was said that dexter recommends old school bearing repack. Don't know why dexter makes an ezlube if they don't recommend using it.

Bearings are not sealed
Have it the driveway now getting ready for a weekend trip. Looked at the dust covers. There is a place to insert a flathead screwdriver to pop the cap off. However, when i tried, looked like the cap started to crack.

Will wait before I try it again. Only have about 150 miles on the TT.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post

Bearings are not sealed
This is a controversial topic: Some swear by the ezlube method and some swear at them.

t2daniel has some key points that I put in BOLD type. Recently, I read through most of the stuff I found on ezlube. My take on what I found is...

If you have a used trailer, the previous owner may have already blown the seal so ezlube may not be an option for you.

If you have a new trailer, Ezlube may work for you for years without a problem: Just use a manual grease gun, jack up the wheels, and pump in grease slowly while rotating the wheel.

I plan to buy a grease gun and use the ezlube method. Maybe after a few seasons, I'll try the 'old school' bearing repack just to satisfy my curiosity of how the bearings and seals are doing.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 AM   #5

Every year??? No way, unless to travel coast to coast a couple times. 10k to 15k miles is a pretty good schedule by my experience. Never had an issue in over 35 years of camping. Use a lower schedule if traveling in dirty dusty areas or hubs get under water much. No experience with the easylub but guess I find out since I have a White Hawk too.

Too much servicing can be just as bad as not enough. As for the bearings, I make sure to stop after the first 50 miles and put a hand on each hub. As long as they aren't hot, you're good to go. Hot to the touch and you need to check it out. I also check after each extended stop at or storage.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote