Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

patio mats

What is it like packing up the patio mat during or after it rains when leaving camp? I'm interested in buying one but I don't have a great place to store a 9x12 mat that's wet and muddy when leaving camp. Do the storage bags accommodate this or should I just get something like a Rubbermaid bin to store it in the back of my Ford Explorer and then lay it out to clean and dry when I get home? Is it a lot to maintain one of these? Any recommendations? Again thanks in advance for your advice
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
What is it like packing up the patio mat during or after it rains when leaving camp? I'm interested in buying one but I don't have a great place to store a 9x12 mat that's wet and muddy when leaving camp. Do the storage bags accommodate this or should I just get something like a Rubbermaid bin to store it in the back of my Ford Explorer and then lay it out to clean and dry when I get home? Is it a lot to maintain one of these? Any recommendations? Again thanks in advance for your advice
The RV Mats are awesome. If you can find one that has a bag get that one. We have had ours for over 6 years and it is still going strong. They did not have bags for them when we bought it, so we just fold it up and put it in one of the compartments or the back of the truck. Even when they get all muddy once it dries a little you can just sweep them off. Very good investment in my opinion.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #3

Mine is made of PVC I believe. It will pick up some dirt/mud but putting away wet shouldn't be a problem as long at you clean and dry it out before storing for an extended period. Having something to bag it with would probably be a good idea but I don't recall seeing a bag for these things. Mine folds up and fits in the storage bin.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #4

If ours it muddy or wet I just put it in a large garbage bag and dry it out at home. Usually all that's needed is to lay it over a picnic table to dry while packing up. They make life nice.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

We use a lawn and leaf bag and fold it up.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #6

I have had several. They dry quick, hose off and help keep the trailer cleaner. They sell mesh bags for them. If dirty I would bungy cord it to the propane tank, kind of wedge it behind the tank.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #7

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...arry-bag/58063

I bought this and it works really well. There is plenty of room in the bag for many different sizes.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ond-mats/12100

That is the mat I have have, and it does a great job. It drys really fast, and is easy to sweep clean. Also its very thick. I can put it out on gravel, and still walk barefoot comfortably on it.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #8

We bought one with our trailer this year on a friends recomendation and we like it a lot. It came with a carry bag. When we are about to break camp I lean it up against something to drain off any rain water and it seems to work pretty well. It cleans up easy too. hth.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #9

Ive been carrying an 18v Ryobi Leaf blower lately. Makes for a pretty quick clean up of the pad and Mat, plus I use it to blow off the top of the slide before I close it. And its very quiet. Plus Im already carrying the 18v battery for the cordless drill to do my stabilizers.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #10

I have one of the mesh RV mats and storage bag. They are very easy to maintain with sweeping, hosing or beating. The dirt falls right out of them. One thing to consider is the color though. They are all mostly 2 sided so if it's black remember it will get hot in the sun.

The bags are vinyl lined so you could stuff it in there and pull it out later for cleaning should you need to. A quick hosing would do it. Worth every penny in my opinion.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #11

Thanks everybody. I went with this one http://www.amazon.com/Reversible-159...atio+mats+9x12
Altogether it had great reviews. We got a little better deal on ebay and free shipping. Haven't used it camping yet but threw it out in the yard to check it over. It feels very comfortable under your bare feet, looks and feels like good quality and the bag that comes with it is huge... so no fuss getting it in and out. The bag is a little flimsy so we'll see how long it lasts. I'll post more when we get some use out of it
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #12

Love the color! Nice choice!

Replacement: 2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS

2010 Honda Ridgeline
1988 Perris Pacer "Bean" (molded fiberglass camper)
PugMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #13

We have used the reversible type for the last several years and love it. Much to our surprise on our last camp out the squirrels loved it also and had it for dinner. For dessert they used our BBQ hose. Each trip seems to bring a new event.

Dwight
The Way Life Should Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #14

The patio mat is one of the best things we ever bought. What a difference it makes in keeping the interior of the RV clean. If it is dirty and wet after a camp-out we usually just fold it up and wrap a bungee around the thing and toss it in the bed of our tow vehicle. When we get home we can hose it off, dry it out, fold it and then stow it in the trailer for the next trip.
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LT3[/:hihi:COLOR]
[/SIGPIC]
malaglot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #15

If mine is muddy etc I hose it down laying over the picnic table or laying out in the gravel roadway... Drys real quick. I have no idea what mine is made of - got it from Camping world in Myrtle Beach while on a trip.

I wish I had a second one...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #16

They're great mats - brush them off before you travel to get the dirt off - when you get home hose 'em off and they dry quick. Well worth the investment!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #17

I bought my 9X18' awning mat from RV Awning Mats many years ago. It is still in great shape.

When it gets dirty , I hose it off and let it dry. If it gets very dirty I open it in my driveway, spray Chlorox Clean-up on it, scrub with a push broom, rinse and let dry.

My first mat was the astro turf stuff from a harware store. It was heavy, was hard to clean and smelled bad after a couple of seasons. I'll never use that stuff again.

I also carry a Ryobi 18V leaf blower in the camper. It is quiet and quickly blows leaves and dirt off the awning mat.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #18

When i bought my last trailer - the owner gave me a good sized chunk of astro turf as a front mat. Eventually the grommet ripped out so i bought a grommet kit cheap @ Harbor Freight and just put new ones. We have a nice "lawn" in front of the trailer and are happy.

Oh, to the OP - we store in one of the tubs kept in the front storage of the trailer. One one side of the trailer we have 2 of the type designed to fit under the bed (also from the prior trailer). They work great.

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #19

We bought two big mats from costco this years. They are the best ones we have had, best price and they fold easily into their original shape because the fold lines are marked with thread

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote