Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #1

propane tank hold down

Hi,

I wondered what other users have done to improve the propane tank holddowns on the jayco light trailers. My TT (185RB) only has one propane tank. I don't want to have to take the entire TT down to the fill station, so I take it out of the tounge. Mine was put on with simple bolts. Removing both of them involves going under the tounge and using tools. Its mind-numbingly stupid.

Looking on line, it seems that all the tank hold down solutions involve double tank holddowns. I don't have the room or the desire to add another tank. One tank has been doing fine.

What have others done to improve this?

Thanks,

Scott
samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #2

Yeah, it's not the best method, our 1207 popup was like that. I can't find the exact one we used but it was similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carl...d_sim_sbs_lg_3
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I replaced the nuts with lock washers and wing nuts.
Some improvement since I don't have to have tools now, but still not my final fix.
Some people have just used ratchet straps. I may go this route.
Just run them through the hand holes of the tank and around the bottom bracket.
Should be much easier to release the tension and remove the tank.

The only other thing I thought was to install the double bracket which is not an option for you.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #4

Before I went to two tanks, I picked up a set of coleman jhooks on ebay. Seemed to hold the tank very secure. Though to remove it I still had to reach underneath to take off the wing nuts. Adding the double bracket has made removing the tanks a breeze. I use a propane fire pit, so i wanted to remove the tanks with ease.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
I replaced the nuts with lock washers and wing nuts.
Some improvement since I don't have to have tools now, but still not my final fix.
Some people have just used ratchet straps. I may go this route.
Just run them through the hand holes of the tank and around the bottom bracket.
Should be much easier to release the tension and remove the tank.

The only other thing I thought was to install the double bracket which is not an option for you.

Doug
I think you just won best kludge of the day, thanks.

I'm going to use that tonight. I put the bottle back after filling it, but the two bolt thing is just awful. The tank rocks back and forth, and I really wonder if it is getting banged around during transport. The problem is that the bolts, when tightened, actually lift the tank a bit and allow it to rock. Your ratchet strap idea will fix that.

I don't know who did this mount, Jayco or the dealer, but it is just stupid and dangerous.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3firetrucks View Post
Before I went to two tanks, I picked up a set of coleman jhooks on ebay. Seemed to hold the tank very secure. Though to remove it I still had to reach underneath to take off the wing nuts. Adding the double bracket has made removing the tanks a breeze. I use a propane fire pit, so i wanted to remove the tanks with ease.
I saw this here:

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=978

I'm strongly attracted to that as a permanent solution. I also saw another gentleman who complained that the bolts were too long for his tank. I take it that this was not the case for you?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam95124 View Post
I saw this here:

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=978

I'm strongly attracted to that as a permanent solution. I also saw another gentleman who complained that the bolts were too long for his tank. I take it that this was not the case for you?
That is the exact set up I was mentioning. They come in different sizes. The 2 sizes I found...one size for 30lb and different size for my 20lb tanks. They still have wing nuts on the bottom, but the tank is held very securely with no movement. I paid $30. I don't know if that was bad or good?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #8

I ordered the J-hooks. They are expensive. I'll post here if they work.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
That is the exact set up I was mentioning. They come in different sizes. The 2 sizes I found...one size for 30lb and different size for my 20lb tanks. They still have wing nuts on the bottom, but the tank is held very securely with no movement. I paid $30. I don't know if that was bad or good?
Were they more expensive than the $30 I paid?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #10

I had a problem with my 30lb LP tank rocking back and forth when secured with only the 2 bolts and nuts that came with our 145RB TT. Using only these bolts and nuts to secure the tank also distorts the tank "foot" or ring welded to the bottom for the LP tank causing addition wobble issues. I purchased 2 of the J hooks designed for the 30 lb LP tanks. I drilled 2 holes in the tank support angle iron that is welded to the front of the TT, and I needed to turn the tank valve orifice so that it faces the front of the TT in order to get correct equal tension on the J hook bolts. Prior to installing the j-bolts, I had also moved the break away brake switch to the outside of the hitch frame because of the LP tank's potential to rock into this switch.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Were they more expensive than the $30 I paid?
I recall $34.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
I had a problem with my 30lb LP tank rocking back and forth when secured with only the 2 bolts and nuts that came with our 145RB TT. Using only these bolts and nuts to secure the tank also distorts the tank "foot" or ring welded to the bottom for the LP tank causing addition wobble issues. I purchased 2 of the J hooks designed for the 30 lb LP tanks. I drilled 2 holes in the tank support angle iron that is welded to the front of the TT, and I needed to turn the tank valve orifice so that it faces the front of the TT in order to get correct equal tension on the J hook bolts. Prior to installing the j-bolts, I had also moved the break away brake switch to the outside of the hitch frame because of the LP tank's potential to rock into this switch.
Yes, in fact there is no way the two bolt mount thing could possibly be sound unless you add lots of washers, because the ring on the bottom of the propane bottle does not match the frame cross-member spacing.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam95124 View Post
I recall $34.
Yep pretty much what I paid. I have to apologize, I feel a little silly. I should have offered to sell you mine. I would have taken a loss but then u could have saved some money.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #14

Just ran from Phoenix, AZ to Corpus Christi, TX with ratchet straps on my propane tank. No problem. Although I have not yet tried to loosen the straps to refill tank.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #15

AOK with ratchet straps. I was able to loosen to fill tank and have since returned to Phoenix with no issues.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #16

Thanks to everyone for the information. I just purchased a pre-owned x117z with the single 30lb tank bolted through the bottom. This is our first TT or RV of any kind. The mounting appeared to be a real pain when it came to removing the tank for refilling. One practice run convinced me of that.
As a remedy I have decided to convert to 2 20lb tanks with a mount from Manchester (stock #1801) and two Worthington 303955 20-Pound Steel Propane Cylinder With Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve. I also ordered a Camco 40523 RV Heavy-Duty 20lb Propane Tank Cover. Any comments would be appreciated.

I'm also looking at the Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill which is supposed to be able to hang on the side of the TT using the already installed rail. I would appreciate feedback from anyone on this unit.

Thanks
Harry
Ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #17

Maybe you have already made the necessary measurements for your planned tank changes.
But you did ask for comments...
Do you use a weight distribution hitch system?
Do you have enough room for the double tank mounting arrangement?
Sometimes the brackets used for the bar chains on the WD hitch set-up get in the way of a double tank outfit.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #18

Ranchosinvacas,

Thanks for the comment. The TT did come with a weight distribution hitch which we will use......so I will make sure to measure twice. As far as the room I have looked at the new 2014 units, many of which come with dual 20 pounders so as long as the mounting tray fits I assume the tanks will fit. I'll let you know.
Ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #19

Hi,
I looked at the J-hook solution and then decided to go another direction. I exchanged the hold down bolts for 5/16-18 2 inch hex bots and used a 3/8 x 1/2 x 1 bronze bearing sleeve under the tank. This brings the bolt head out enough so you do not have to fight the small area between the tank and bracket and can easily put a wrench on the under the tank head while tightening the bolt at the open end. This makes it much easier to take the tank on and off the frame.
Chuckinlaguna is offline   Reply With Quote