Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #1

Propane Tank Sizes

I'm getting closer to getting my new/used 197 Sport on her maiden voyage. I now need a little clarification on propane tanks! When i got the trailer it did not have a mounting tray on the tongue, so I ordered one for dual 20 lb tanks since I plan on adding a second tank - (1st mistake.... should have checked tank size and not taken previous owner word).

Question 1. will a 15 lb tank fit on a mount for 20 lb'ers or should I upgrade to 20 lb tanks?

Question 2. the tanks that the hardware store carry (Lowes) are these tanks the same quality etc as the ones used for RV's? I'm not sure if there is a difference between ones used with RV's vs Gas Grills.
starchazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Team

The grill tanks sold at Lowes are 20lb tanks and are likely no less in quality then the ones that come with RV`s. I have not heard of 15lb tanks, I think you are referring to 20lb tanks, which sometimes only are filled to 15lbs (such as the Blue Rhino exchange tanks). The next step up is to 30lb tanks....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The grill tanks sold at Lowes are 20lb tanks and are likely no less in quality then the ones that come with RV`s. I have not heard of 15lb tanks, I think you are referring to 20lb tanks, which sometimes only are filled to 15lbs (such as the Blue Rhino exchange tanks). The next step up is to 30lb tanks....
Usually stamped DOT approved and should all be of the same quality.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Usually stamped DOT approved and should all be of the same quality.
+1; they are inspected by the Railroad Commission here in Texas; "quality" should be standard.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

The most common propane tank sizes for RV's are 20lb and 30lb. 20lb tanks are the ones you see at most tank exchange places and the ones usually used for a home gas grill. I very seldom see the smaller tanks (about 10lb IIRC), even when I used to work at a RV dealer.

The diameter of a 20lb and 30lb tanks is the same, it is the height that is different. So the same mounting tray can be used for a pair of 20's or a pair of 30's. (Note that the threaded rod that holds the tanks down will be longer for the 30's than for the 20's) I'm not real sure about if the same tray will fit the smaller tanks.

For standardization purposes, I'd go with the 20's. They are the most common and can be found at most tank exchange places where you can swap your empty tank for a full one. If you have a tank larger or smaller than a 20lb, you'll most likely have to find a place that refills tanks. If you have one nearby that won't be an issue. But it does limit your options somewhat when you find yourself with an empty tank.

The tanks are all pretty much the same as long as they are steel. There was some talk about a new type of tank made of a plastic or something that had some issues. But if you stick with the standard steel type you should be fine. And yes the 20lb tank used on a RV is the same as the one for the grill in your back yard.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
The most common propane tank sizes for RV's are 20lb and 30lb. 20lb tanks are the ones you see at most tank exchange places and the ones usually used for a home gas grill. I very seldom see the smaller tanks (about 10lb IIRC), even when I used to work at a RV dealer.

The diameter of a 20lb and 30lb tanks is the same, it is the height that is different. So the same mounting tray can be used for a pair of 20's or a pair of 30's. (Note that the threaded rod that holds the tanks down will be longer for the 30's than for the 20's) I'm not real sure about if the same tray will fit the smaller tanks.

For standardization purposes, I'd go with the 20's. They are the most common and can be found at most tank exchange places where you can swap your empty tank for a full one. If you have a tank larger or smaller than a 20lb, you'll most likely have to find a place that refills tanks. If you have one nearby that won't be an issue. But it does limit your options somewhat when you find yourself with an empty tank.

The tanks are all pretty much the same as long as they are steel. There was some talk about a new type of tank made of a plastic or something that had some issues. But if you stick with the standard steel type you should be fine. And yes the 20lb tank used on a RV is the same as the one for the grill in your back yard.

I always fill my tanks. Locally a 20lb tank is $19~$24 for an exchange. A fill is $12~14, and you're never shorted. Once you're used to filling, you can do 20, 30, or 40 lb tanks on the same feet with different length threaded rod. I have been looking into an aluminum 40lb equivalent tank, but they're $$$.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #7

I understand the attraction to refilling when you have a place to do it close to home. Just keep in mind that you may have a hard time finding a place to refill it when you are out using the camper. There are many more exchange places out there than there are refilling stations.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #8

I go to Costco to get my tanks refilled.... it costs me 10-13$ for a 20lbs

And the exchange rip off is more in the 20$...
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #9

I think the 15 lbs tanks you are talking about are from a tank exchange. They really are 20 lbs tanks, that they do not fill full. DO NOT USE TANK EXCHANGES. Buy two 20 lbs tanks. There is a little more upfront cost to purchase them, then find a local propane dealer. We have a number of gas stations around our area that fill them. The price to fill them is about the same or cheaper as using a tank exchange, but you get a full tank of gas. The tanks have to be recertified after 12 years and stamped (fed law). Secondly, and this may vary from state to state, but locally, the tank exchange place do not follow the law, and the old tanks are not marked with current certifications, so you are taking a risk in using them. I have a number of friends that are in law enforcement and are fire fighters. They stated every propane tank incented they see using portable tanks, the tank is corroded (internally) and fractured. The law enforcement friends state that 20# propane tanks are used commonly in drug making and when they are done with them the turn them in for new tanks, and the inside of the tank is damaged, and you cannot tell the condition.

Getting a propane tank filled is really easy, and a better deal than tank exchanges. So do yourself and your family a good thing and buy your own tanks, and hold onto them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
I understand the attraction to refilling when you have a place to do it close to home. Just keep in mind that you may have a hard time finding a place to refill it when you are out using the camper. There are many more exchange places out there than there are refilling stations.
This is exactly the reason for using 2 tanks. Always a backup. In 22 years of having trailers only once did we run out of propane on a trip and had to have one filled. That was in West Yellowstone, MT. We left for the trip with 1 full tank and one half full tank. It was Sept and it got down in the 20s at night. Should have had the half full tank topped off.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #11

With refils or exchange, a propane tank cannot by law be filled at more than 80% of its capacity...
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #12

Buy a pair of tanks off Craigslist and have them filled. If they don't have the new style valve on them then just take it to an exchange place and get a pair with the new style valves and you're in business for low $$. The tanks you get with your exchange are now yours and you can take them to a place for refilling after you peel the label off.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #13

I wouldn't dismiss tank exchanges out of hand. Yes, you may get less propane, but you will always (or at least you're supposed to) get a tank that has been inspected, refurbished, and the old ones are taken out of circulation (they are date stamped). So there is SOME value to doing it that way.

I have 2 or 3 places within a couple miles that will fill my tanks. And we've used our trailer a total of 6 times and have not run our primary 30 lb tank dry yet; almost empty on the primary tank as of our last trip. It would have to be a pretty serious trip to run a tank empty unexpectedly, although I did have a pigtail start leaking on me, so it could happen...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Many RVs have a tank auto transfer switch on the regulator. I turn off my full right tank and just use the left tank (or vice-versa) and set the switch to just run off the left tank. That way I know when the tank is empty and I will always have a full spare tank. If the left tank goes empty I then switch to the right tank and fill the left tank which is now the spare. Another tip is to listen for any propane leaks really carefully and/or use a spray bottle with soapy water (dish soap) to check for leaks. I once though I had a full spare propane tank only to find out it had gone completely flat. Since my other tank was flat also I had no propane. So now I check the spare to make sure it is full before I go on a trip and I have the tank I'm using filled before it goes completely flat and I double check the spare again just to make sure. Now I have an inverter installed and can run my fridge off of it when I am not hooked up and am out of propane as well which I hope never happens again.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #15

I like the 30 lb tanks because I only have to fill one every 4 months or so. I carry an extra 20 lb tank for our catalytic heater and gas grill. I have never had a problem finding a place to fill a tank.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote