Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Question for the group

Hello all,

I have a question for the group. I have a 185RB that just want back to Jayco due to the refer not cooling while traveling and also not cooling with the air conditioner on. My question is this...

Has anyone had their trailer pulled back to Jayco and what should I expect from Jayco that they have pulled it back to the factory?

I have heard from some people out at campground that this is a good thing for me, they will upgrade the trailer to the current year specs. I would like to if this is standard procedure for Jayco or are these people talking out their back side.

Thank you in advance for all your comments. I am a little nervous that my trailer is over 200 miles away and I can't just make a road trip to see it.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #2

I would be happy its going to the factory rather then the local hack dealer. I think it would be repaired correctly
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Oh believe me I am happy it has been a long year and a half to get to this point. Like I said this is new to me, I know what to expect from the dealer but I am clueless as far as what to expect from Jayco.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Most members that have their rig shipped back to Jayco have posted good results. Usually this is done when the selling dealer is unable to make repairs due to the issue being major and/or structural in nature. I`m wondering why the dealer cannot fix or if need be replace the AC and frig?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #5

The dealer has been trying to fix this for a year and a half. He has put fans behind the refer, put insulation behind the refer and then finally replaced the refer. This time he told us that he called the measurements from behind the refer and the current temps to Jayco, they told him to stop working on it, they will send a transport to pick it up.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Site Team

OK, it looks like the dealer tried. Please let us know how this turns out and what the solution is when you get it back. Best of luck.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #7

My bet is Jayco will fix it.
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #8

Update - - Friday I received a call from a Jayco rep that was handling the repairs on my trailer. He was asking if I had any idea as to what the fix could be, because the service department sees that there is a true problem when the A/C is on and also traveling with the refer on. He told me that he just wanted some idea to take back to R&D and engineering to try to resolve the problems.

Keeping my fingers crossed that his phone call was just him trying to push along a repair and not that the R&D or engineering departments are clueless.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp View Post
Update - - Friday I received a call from a Jayco rep that was handling the repairs on my trailer. He was asking if I had any idea as to what the fix could be, because the service department sees that there is a true problem when the A/C is on and also traveling with the refer on. He told me that he just wanted some idea to take back to R&D and engineering to try to resolve the problems.

Keeping my fingers crossed that his phone call was just him trying to push along a repair and not that the R&D or engineering departments are clueless.
Really? The Jayco Rep calls you asking for suggestions as to how to fix it....I think I would have gotten really smart ass with him and suggested they could upgrade to the next level trailer and send back a brand new one. I think that would fix the problem.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:

If they called me asking something like that I would have said to refund me by certified check and keep the trailer.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #11

Quote:

Seriously? This guy would have gotten my Irish/Italian up....I would have told him to send me a check and keep it.

https://blog.graywriterrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/rv-dump-icon.jpg
CampRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #12

Ok, DW is Irish/Italian and when the irascible Irish comes out the folks in Indiana wouldn't know what hit them. You may want to keep that in reserve for later.
I am a used Jayco owner so the warranty is a thing of the past for me. I am impressed that the factory called to see what your thoughts were. Think of it as they what to see what you think needs to be done, not how to repair it. Let them know you think it needs new appliances. They already know how to fix these things but what is on your mind...
As I have worked in a number of service industries, new car service, independent service and HVAC service I can tell you that the manufactures involvement in dealing with a stinker is always (usually) better that the dealers. The dealer is looking at what his warranty reimbursement claim will cover where the manufacture is looking at their name or reputation. If you have a valid complaint Jayco should be on your side.
Good luck & let us know how it turns out.
If the out come is not good then turn the Irish side loose for sure!!!
Craig
FlaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #13

Curious to see how this plays out.....please keep us updated
Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #14

Update

Still have not heard anything from Jayco regarding our trailer or repairs. The thing that gets my German temper up is the fact that Jayco has had this trailer since the 9th of July and every tine I want to find out what is going on with it, I have to leave a message for the rep handling my trailer. I have asked him to please keep me updated but I always have to call him and when I get in touch with him there is an update, and this is the customer service manager working like this.

I can promise you one thing going forward, this is the last Jayco you will ever see in my driveway. I know Jayco is one of the best, but I don't think that I have to keep calling to get a status update.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #15

UPDATE - -

I just received a call from Jayco service. The trailer is finished and ready to come home on a Monday transport. Here is the end result.

They custom made some baffles with Norcold's blessing to redirect the air over the top coils of the Refer. Instead of the top baffle lining up with the very top of the coils it now sits below the top coils. This is to keep the air going in one direction and not reversing back the other way when the A/C is turned on or the wash from a passing car or truck driving down the road.

Replace the very top baffle that was bent up by the dealer. They also made a custom baffle to replace the bent up one, to make the exhaust air leave faster from behind the refer.

Installed an auxiliary fan behind the refer to help boost the performance of the Norcold factory fan.

Misc items to the trailer to enhance customer experience. Not too sure what this item or items are but I will find out soon enough.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #16

WOW - well at least it is on the way back home to you........good luck with the upgrades.

Always a shame though when companies do not communicate with you.......drive me nutty. a phone call to keep the customer in the loop goes a long way.

Hopefully it is resolved for you
Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #17

Sounds like Jayco stepped up and did the right thing . . . + the misc. items. Damer419 is right, though. A lot of companies are getting really poor at communicating with their customers. I'll bet a simple phone call early on would have kept the sour taste out of your mouth.

Hope all the vents & baffles take care of the issues for you. Good luck & happy camping!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #18

Last and final update...

We took the trailer out last weekend, the fridge failed again. Now we no longer own the trailer. As we saw it there was no more hope for the unit. We are going to be taking delivery Thursday on a 2014 248RBS. I sure am going to miss that little trailer, it was easy to tow and gas mileage towing it was great.

My only words to Jayco is this... Good try Jayco you gave it all you got, now lets go camping in the new one and give a toast to "A" for effort and play a round of taps to the little trailer that wanted to be like the big trailers.

As you can tell at this point I have no hard feeling toward Jayco or my dealer everyone tried but there is always one that will get the better of you.

Thank you everyone for all your words of encouragement and thoughts.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #19

did Jayco or the dealer take it back as a lemon? or at least give you a decent trade in value?
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #20

We where taken care of in the end. And everyone walked away happy, well maybe not everyone but the people that mattered are happy with the end result. I am sorry for being vague but it is best that way.