Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

Refer, elec to gas

Last trip out before I left I had the trailer plugged in to shore power. I turned the refrig. on two days before leaving. It was nice and cold. I got to the campsite and converted to gas as there was no hookup. I lost the cold like I was starting all over again. Should I start out with gas if I am going to use gas on the trip? If I have the refer running on gas can I leave it going if I am not going to fuel the tow vehicle? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I always have mine plugged in. Fridge is always on and cold. When I go camping I unplug shore cord and fridge auto fires to propane. Confirm sound as I am doing walkaround

I arrive at campground (after fueling up at least once or twice ) and plug in and fridge auto switches to AC.

hard to believe though that after some driving you lost all the cold unless you were constantly in the fridge and drove for 8 hours or more
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I always have mine plugged in. Fridge is always on and cold. When I go camping I unplug shore cord and fridge auto fires to propane. Confirm sound as I am doing walkaround

I arrive at campground (after fueling up at least once or twice ) and plug in and fridge auto switches to AC.

hard to believe though that after some driving you lost all the cold unless you were constantly in the fridge and drove for 8 hours or more
X2
The main thing is to purge the gas line before turning to propane. If the unit has been sitting for awhile with the gas turned off, mine will not light and I will get a fault light on the gas side of the unit. I always purge the system by lighting the gas stove and then the refrigerator will light the first time on propane. We turn ours on a couple days before leaving and then load up. I always confirm during the walk around before departure that the unit has switched to propane after the shore power has been disconnected.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Mine did the same thing again today. I switched it to propane and about a minute later the Norcold fridge gas light starting blinking again. The thing is I just had it on propane yesterday as I tried it to get ready to go for today. I leave one propane tank open all the time and no gas has appeared to have leaked out. I also leave the fridge running on electric all the time when we are not using it. I lit a stove top burner and switched it to gas again and it worked fine. My last TT never had this problem even after not using it all Winter. Put it on gas and the Dometic fridge started and worked fine every time without fail. With this Norcold fridge if you don't lite a stove burner first it may not start. But once it does start there doesn't seem to be any problems after that. Also, if I leave it on auto and just disconnect the shore power it always seems to work fine. It is just when I switch it manually from auto to gas that this happens. I don't believe that there is a gas leak anywhere. I have had this tank on since the first of the year and it is still almost full. If there was a leak I would think that the tank would be empty by now (9 months). I certainly have go in the habit of checking it after I switch to gas because Forest Gump was right, "You never know what your going to get."
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote