Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #1

Replace tub with shower.

I have an 08 165. The bathroom is tight to say the least. We looked into buying a New larger TT but that just ain't in the budget. Biggest issue we have is the usability of the toilet. Just tossing out ideas. Has anybody replaced a tub with a shower. Would I gain the needed legroom? Is it worth it? Other idea is to tear down the interior wall and door and move it about 6 inches into the trailer. I can take this from the pantry as there is dead space there. But now I'm messing with structural stability. And I'd Have to extend the wall between the bath and bunks. By trade I'm a mechanical engineer not a carpenter. Working with any wood is always a challenge to me. And calling this stuff wood is a stretch. I'm not good at finish work. My idea is to install a shower and angle the toilet away from the interior wall and see if I can get the needed legroom. I see New Jayco models have this arrangement. Anybody got any ideas or feedback. I would like to keep using the existing drains. Moving them would open up a whole other can of issues. Other than plumbing what other issues would I face and need to overcome? Does any one have experience using showers and water overspray issues on these type of floors?
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #2

Since you'd end up with a used trailer with a different floor plan why not just look at used trailers with a floor plan that suits your needs. I'm guessing you'd save money and up with a better product.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:07 AM   #3

I can't buy anything right now. Wife's car gave up the ghost a few week's ago and I had to buy another one. I haven't found a used one with a floor plan we like. I do like the New 25bhs. That's where I got the idea of angling the toilet and shower stall. I own this one, and it don't cost me a dime to sit in the back yard. Hard to justify another payment especially when looking at paying for college in the next few years. I think we've decided to keep what we have or at least my wife has.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:01 AM   #4

I hear you about finances, but any project will cost more than you think.

I have no experience with tearing out a tub and replacing it with a shower in a trailer. I do have some experience with doing that in a residence.

I don't see where water getting out during a shower is a problem. The shower curtain will need to extend below the lip of the shower pan and people will need to be careful as with any space restricted shower.

Keeping the unit water tight will be absolutely critical. Do you plan to buy a TT shower pan?

If not, something will need to be done to fabricate a custom shower pan. Layed up fiberglass over a mold comes to mind, but most people don't work with that. Perhaps you could modify a free standing vinyl shower unit to fit.

Another possibility might be to use a shower system/install method normally use with ceramic tile. For weight saving you will want to use vinyl floor covering or something other than tile to finish off.

Wedi System is one possibility. It is not cheap.

Wedi Shower Pan Sizes | Ceramic Tile Shower Pan Kits

Home - wedicorp USA

All in all it sounds like a pretty ambitious project to me. There will likely be many issues to deal with as it unfolds.

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #5

I feel your pain about upcoming tuitions. If not moving any drains just rotating the toilet I don't see that it's impossible. Likely unforseen costs and trailer out of commission for awhile. If not in a hurry to use the trailer, go for it. Have fun take pictures and keep us posted on the project.
Personally I never liked the tubs, new trailer only has a shower.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

I plan to buy a TT Pan. They start at about 130 and up. They make them several different sizes in rectangle shape to fit my current footprint as well as the more popular triangle style. I'm not able to get to the trailer as I'm out of town working but when I get home I have to take some measurements. The rectangle,might be better as I use existing footprint and the shower stays the same usable size. However the triangle shape would give me a little more room on the toilet end but would be a smaller shower. I am not a little person at 6'5 290 lbs. More I think about this and if take stuff out I Might be better off putting back some kind of vapor barrier like I did in my house a few years ago. My linoleum looks tired and I've been thinking about putting down laminate flooring. I have just enough left,over from my house remodel a few years ago to do it. I couldn't return it as it was a special order. I'm hoping my only cost will be the pan and shower surround. Websites LOOK like drains line up and are pretty universal. Again I have to measure. Maybe a New toilet if I find one with a little bigger seat. I'm not as concerned as I used to be about weight as I now know exactly what my trailer weighs both empty and fully loaded and I have some room to spare.