Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #1

Replacing/repacking Wheel Bearings-- DIY or pro?

Hi,
My 2004 165 jayfeather sport, sat for approximately 7years... I'm replacing tires & battery, and it's been suggested to check & possibly replace wheel bearings as well.

Where exactly are the bearings located? How do I know they need replacing vs just repacking? And is this a job I could attempt myself? I've heard it's relatively easy to do...

*$$ is unfortunately an issue (isn't that the way it always goes?), Which is why I am considering DIY. I plan to have my insurance Towing come remove old tires for me... I can't do it myself. I will get new tires mounted, then put back on TT-- when in this plan should the bearings be repacked? (Or replaced?)

I'm hoping I can just repack... Is there a recommended brand of Grease to use for this? I have Olive oil

Thanks everyone for helping me to figure this all out, so I can get out and do some camping with my city bound kids!!
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

Wheel bearings are in the hub of each wheel. There are 2 bearings in each hub (the inner and outer bearing). If you are mechanically inclined, they can be done DIY. Repacking them is easy if they are in good condition. If they have too much wear, corrosion or "play" in the bearings, you should replace them. I would do them when you have the tires replaced. You will need to jack/support the TT when you have the tires replaced. Use 4 solid supports such as jack stands. If you have never done these kinds of repairs before, best to let someone who knows what they are doing handle this.
gdiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

It's easy to do. I would recommend googling repacking trailer wheel bearings. There are a few different setups, so it might be worth looking at a few videos. Easy way to know if you need new bearings is to jack up the camper, shake the wheel, there should be a little wobble side to side, if there is a lot, new bearings are in order. Plus you will need new rear seals for each hub.

As for gease, I use which ever high temp bearing grease I have. I never mix greases. To clean out the old grease I use WD40, as it breaks down the old grease nicely, and a roll of paper towels.

It is easy to do. Honestly if you cannot change a tire, then repacking a bearing will be difficult to do, as the tire/rim must be removed.

Again youtube a few videos and determine if it is a job your comfortable doing.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #4

Great replies! thank you!
I will definitely watch YouTube & get this job done!

FYI, I am having Towing come out to remove tires (which I need to replace) bc I don't have a jack or the Jack stands, & bc it's free - so why not?!
**I plan to be ready with multiple cement blocks at hand, to place under the trailer to keep it safely elevated...

While the tires are off, I will take care of the bearings. & The seals? Hopefully those are doable as well!!

I'll have Towing back out to put on the new tires...

Thanks again
Old 04-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #5

Have you used the towing service like this in the past? I don't know that they will come out, jack it up and leave. Are you planning on putting it on blocks while getting the tires changed? They won't want to leave their jack stands. I don't know what you have for service but it is normally roadside service not jack it up for maintenance but maybe they will be fine with covering it.

I was going to say it is easy to pull the trailer up on a block so you can pull the other wheel but that only works with a tandem axle trailer.

Do you know anyone that could loan you a jack and stands?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #6

My insurance agent told me Towing would change TT tires... The thing is TT is not currently located at my home, so in a sense, I'm traveling. I sure hope it works bc it's my only plan!!
& Yes, I would put it up on blocks while I had new tires mounted to rims.

There are a couple guys in neighborhood, I've seen do auto work out of garage/drive.... I don't necessarily know them, and seriously doubt they'd let me borrow their jacks... Even if I paid them. :/
Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #7

Not meaning to be harsh toward you, but based on the comments you made in your posts, you are not a DYI type person or at least have no knowledge and experience with vehicle maintenance. Wheel bearing maintenance is NOT a place for someone in your position to try to save money. If you need someone else to jack up your RV, you aren't prepared for the wheelbearing job either.

Take it to a tire shop or auto shop and you should be able to get the repack done for around $100. Can't believe you're Insurance would cover something that is not a roadside repair but is just the first step to a trailer maintenance task.

Save yourself a lot of grief and probably a lot of money down the road, by getting someone with experience to do all of this for you.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

I have to agree with Bassdogs..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #9

Why Bless your heart Bassdogs!
& No worries, I take no offense to your comments/ suggestions Rather, I appreciate them!! Made me take a moment to reflect on what my Choices are​... If it truly isn't much more than$100 to take care of the bearings, (vs the$500+ an aquaintance mentioned :/ ), certainly I wouldn't hesitate to have the pros do it!!

I can actually change a tire, my Dad made sure I knew my way around a car, though it was an ol 67 mustang, or the Ford... but it's been awhile Aside from no jack equipment for TT, truth is I don't want to change the tires if I don't have to...Just sayin'. But if I had the equipment, I would do it & get the job done. Right now, if towing is willing to come out & take care of it, you won't catch me passing on that!!
As far as those bearings go?
Ah well, maybe if you were in the neighborhood ~ maybe I could get you to come help me out & I'd learn something new!!!

Thanks again for all the help
Looks like We're heading out to Joshua Tree..... With a tent haha
Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #10

What insurance do you have if you don't mind me asking? I've never heard of one that covers maintenance items. Sign me up!
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #11

Doesn't your trailer have Easy-Lube hubs? Buy a grease gun, hook it up and pump it til you see new grease squirt out.

https://youtu.be/WzW1kK8oWkc

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
Doesn't your trailer have Easy-Lube hubs? Buy a grease gun, hook it up and pump it til you see new grease squirt out.

https://youtu.be/WzW1kK8oWkc
On a 2004 trailer that has sat for 7 years, I would advise against this. The bearings need to actually be inspected. A lot of people have ended up shooting grease into those fittings only to find out they've completely hosed their brakes with grease, rendering them useless. Just my 2 cents.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
On a 2004 trailer that has sat for 7 years, I would advise against this. The bearings need to actually be inspected. A lot of people have ended up shooting grease into those fittings only to find out they've completely hosed their brakes with grease, rendering them useless. Just my 2 cents.
X2
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
On a 2004 trailer that has sat for 7 years, I would advise against this. The bearings need to actually be inspected. Just my 2 cents.
I agree. Even if pumping out the grease was an option, he would still need to jack up the camper to slowly turn the wheel as he is pumping the grease or he will just blow the seal. Since jacking the trailer is the issue, we are back to square 1.

Here are my thoughts on what I would do. The trailer has been sitting for a long time. He could hitch up and take it somewhere but that is going to be on really old tires and questionable hubs. He said he has roadside insurance. We all agree that maybe he will get lucky and they will cover this even though he isn't on a road or pull it out on the road and do it there. Not really safe but maybe he could claim he was on the road and pulled it onto this property as it was a safer place to work on it. Still I wouldn't put a lot of faith in this working. You don't have to have a floor jack to jack up a trailer. It isn't a bad idea to have a jack anyhow. Some people here have said their TV has a jack that can lift their trailer. Or one can get a bottle jack for pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Lift-B-00.../dp/B00DGXVX18

Then he has one if he has a break down or rely on roadside assistance I guess.

Get a bunch of wood. Things like 4"x4" or 6"x6" and build cribbing. Most of us use jack stands but wood blocking is effective as well. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to take apart a hub. Take it apart and then go to an independent shop. Have them inspect the seals and bearings. They will have the tools to inspect, replace and repack. Since he did the work of disassembly that is saving labor time and reduces the price. Then reassemble on site with new tires. This method removes the I don't know what I am looking for to see if a bearing is bad. The possibility of screwing up a seal removal and replacement. While they can pack the bearings the hubs will still need to be filled. Then in the end he now has a jack, wood blocks and a grease gun that he should have anyhow. An independent shop might even be willing to show him what they are looking for. Sometimes liability reason won't let him in the shop but he can ask. Any auto mechanic worth a grain of salt could do this in their sleep so it doesn't need to be a trailer shop. For many years RWD cars and trucks would use a similar spindle design like what is found on a trailer. The modern stuff is all pretty much sealed hubs but back in the day it was done the same way.

It is hard for many of us to explain this stuff but I would say many of us have been exposed to it. I think I was first repacking bearings when I was 7. While I grew up in the suburbs, my father grew up on a farm. While I may have rather been off playing, today I am glad I think nothing of being out in the shop doing these things. There is nothing wrong with someone not having these skills, some people have no desire to learn them and others never had the opportunity. I host a lot of Cub Scout meetings in my shop and we are working on projects. I hear parents comment all the time that they are shocked at all the tools. But the way I look at it, if I have to pay someone $100 to do a task or I can do it for $130 after buying the tools, I would rather buy the tools. Because if I had to do it once, I will probably have to do it again. Sometimes those same tools can be used on other tasks and the return is much quicker. Or maybe it is really specialized and I may only do that task once again, but that second time it came up it only cost me $30. In the end I am ahead.

Now would I recommend pulling the heads on his truck to diagnose something himself. Probably not, there are lines to be drawn. In this case the bulk of the work could be done himself and save some money in a safe manner. The reassembly isn't that hard. Make sure the castle nut isn't over tightened, use a new cotter pin. Those are a couple of the big gotcha's. The inspecting, packing the bearing and seal install can easily be left to a mechanic and are the harder parts of the process.

I should also add that if he does do this and it might be some time between hub removal and getting things together, I would protect the spindles on the axle while no hub is in place. I would cover them with a thin coat of grease and put a bag over them. Something like a zip lock or trash bag. You don't want them to start to rust if the process takes a couple days.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #15

X3

No need to ruin a vacation from bearing failure. Watch this video from Dexter, https://youtu.be/GnH-h3W9XvI

Since the trailer has sat so long I would be afraid of the moisture that has been sitting inside attacking the surfaces. With a few simple tools on a single axle its less than an hour job, I replaced the bearings and races with Timkins which are Made in USA for less than $20 on a single axle, and a few bucks for the seals. I just can't get myself to pump grease into the hub not knowing what it is actually doing, is old grease trapped, are all bearing surfaces greased, is the seal staring to leak, I don't have superman X-ray vision. You have to jack the trailer to pump grease in why not just take a little extra time and pull the hub and do it right.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #16

[QUOTE=Sundancer330;513489]X3

No need to ruin a vacation from bearing failure. Watch this video from Dexter, https://youtu.be/GnH-h3W9XvI

Since the trailer has sat so long I would be afraid of the moisture that has been sitting inside attacking the surfaces.QUOTE]

That is a good video! as you can see it is easy to do. You do need to replace the rear seal as the old seal will be damaged when it is removed.

I too agree that with the TT sitting for 7 years, you need to remove the bearings for inspection. As moisture might have migrated into the hubs, and caused a bit of rust. If so, you may need to replace the bearings. I have had this issue with my canoe trailer. The hardest part of that job was going out and getting the additional required parts.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #17

Nobody has mentioned this but I was always told that the bearing had to stay in the same race/cone that is was in originally. So do 1 wheel at a time or some how keep track to which hub they came from.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #18

Silly me wanting to do the simple things first. To each their own. Then again it's easy to spend other people's money-- I say you just replace the whole axle!

Regards,
JP
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #19

We burned up our bearings and brakes on one side due to a botched job of repacking them by a Jayco dealer.. Something went horridly wrong.. the cap flew off without our noticing and soon thee was a fire. Cost to replace repack and get new brakes was 450 but alot of that was labor in an out of the way place
The original job was $120 and did not involve the brakes. No it wont run $500. Dont let the relatively minor cost dissuade you from what could be a roadside repair.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #20

Trade it in for a new one!

Regards,
JP