Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Roof still leaking.......

Unbelievable, my roof on my 2008 Jayco EXP 29A is still leaking. We had a nice rain down here in AZ last night so I decided to check out our TT for any "new" leaks since my warranty runs out 4/12/12. Note: I just checked my documents from my dealer and counted that I've had my TT in their shop a total of 5 times since March 2011 concerning water "pooling" in the front storage compartment on the passenger side. Below is a listing (dates) of what the service dept. did to correct the problem:

3/10/11: Customer states puddle of water in front compartment, don't know where water is coming from. Service: Flooded roof, sidewall, windows and compartment door; no puddles developed.

5/5/11: Customer states water still getting in bottom front compartment. Service: Tested again, found water coming in through opposite side maxi-store door - seal on top bad - removed old seal and replaced with new one. Tested - ran water on it for an hour.

8/27/11: Customer states water in front compartment again. Service: Ran water on outside of trailer, could not see any water in front compartment.

11/18/11: Customer states Front Filon is "bubbling". Service: Removed and replaced front Filon and decals.

As you can see, I've been dealing with this leak for a year, although it could have been leaking for longer. When the dealer replaced the front filon, we (dealer and I) were sure that the leak was corrected. When they had the old filon removed they said most of the hardware on the top edge of it was rusted. After picking it up from dealer the last time I was a happy camper, due to the fact I thought this problem was behind us by now. We had it for a camping trip after this last fix, it had rained, I checked the compartment and *?!#@ there's the water again! Took back to dealer:

12/6/11: Customer states there is a water leak at storage compartment. Service: Replaced compartment door seal. Problem should now be fixed.

Now, after seeing the water pooled up again in the same spot, I don't know what to do. I think I will call Jayco this time and see what they can do. I was wondering if anyone knew what the chances would be to have Jayco put a new roof on?

Anyone else out there had a problem like this?
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #2

I have noticed some water on the floor near the starboard hatch after towing in a driving rainstorm. I think it came in from the top of the door as there were water droplets from the top edge to the bottom when I opened it and there was water beading up on the underside of the top door opening. My 23B is past the warranty period and it's not enough of a show stopper for me to spend a fortune trying to track it down. The next time it's outdoors in the rain or being towed in the rain I'll continue investigating it.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

I would suspect the compartment door.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #4

Clutch, I too thought it was the compartment door until the front filon needed to be replaced due to delamination from water seepage. Also, even after the compartment door seal was replaced and they put longer downspouts on the rain gutters, it's still leaking somewhere. I'm at a loss here with the problem, we love the trailer, it fits our family perfect, I just want it to not leak any longer. It rained again tonight so tomorrow morning before I go to work, I will go to the storage facility and soak up the water once again and call Jayco. I will keep it posted on what transpires.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #5

I would have a Sealtech test done on it to find the leak. Than I would recaulk the trailer and and cover the seams with Durabond a week after you recaulked it all. You have to be very aggressive in your approach. Don't forget all the stuff on the roof. Hope this helps. Ps with this continued leaking going on, I would make sure that any damage that was done, be thoroughly examined. Pull windows if that's what it takes.good luck.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #6

My toilet has leaked (at the elbow) for 2 years now the dealer just cannot fix it.. check and see if a water line in the compartment may be leaking... hard ones to spot as they might not leak all the time ...mine did not...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #7

Seann45 that is good advice, unfortunately there are no water lines in or around that area and the only time it leaks is when it rains, which isn't very often here in AZ.

I went out to the trailer this morning after we had another rain last evening. To my dismay, There was no water present???? I have no idea what's going on here. I did call Jayco this morning and talked to them about the problem and they told me to go through the dealer. I visited the dealer this afternoon and talked with the service manager and showed him pics of the water pooled up in the compartment. The service mgr., the one I've been dealing with since the beginning, was flabbergasted with the pics and the leaks. I will drop the TT off this weekend and keep you informed on the progress and the work that will be done on the unit. Hopefully we can find it this time.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #8

I may have missed it but is the trailer staying level when parked? any blowing wind etc? Keep us posted on what the dealer says "again".
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #9

The trailer, when stored and set-up, is level. The rain on the first night of this past weekend was pouring (monsoon style) and the wind was blowing profusely. The rain on the second night was coming down good, although not as much as the prior night, and the wind was no where near what it was the night before.

I have noticed the leak while we were camping and while it was set up.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #10

You may have more warranty time than you think. Days spent at the dealer for warranty repairs don't count against your warranty time. You seem to have a record and if you can prove the trailer was not useable or available to you then the warranty period should extend that many days.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #11

And to add to what Clutch said, I would think that Jayco would still support you given that the problem is well documented while within the warranty period. It's worth checking out.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
And to add to what Clutch said, I would think that Jayco would still support you given that the problem is well documented while within the warranty period. It's worth checking out.
Yes, when I talked to the Jayco rep I told this was my main concern. The Rep stated that since this is an on-going problem, Jayco will take care of it until the issue is resolved.

I still believe in the Jayco product and regardless of the leak, my family and I love the trailer. I'm confident that the leak will be fixed via Jayco warranty.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #13

As of today, the unit is now at the dealership..........we will see what the outcome will be this time
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #14

I am wishing you the best.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #15

Well, the TT has been in the shop for the last week and a half. I have spoken to Jayco twice since it went in. They have pics and everything is documented concerning the leak. My dealership says they found the problem and they have a new access door for the front storage compartment on order. I hope that will do the trick, if not Jayco said not to worry, they will take care of it until it's resolved. The Jayco rep also told me something that was rather insteresting; she said that Jayco will, more times than not, go good on warranty work up to six months past the 2 year warranty date??

Anyway, it seems as though everything is working out and we will be well on our way to another successful camping season!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
snip.......she said that Jayco will, more times than not, go good on warranty work up to six months past the 2 year warranty date??....snip
Chopshop,

I've heard that Jayco, and other RV manufactures, honor some warranty work outside the base warranty period, but I'm sure this is on a case-by-case basis. Service history, nature of warranty claim being requested, condition of TT, dealer supporting customer claim, etc., I'm sure all play into a warranty service claim being granted outside the warranty period.

Is there any evidence of moisture "above" the access door cutout from inside the storage area??

If in fact the new access door addresses the water pooling issue in the storage compartment, then it sounds like the issue with the front Filon cap had an unrelated root cause.

Just curious, your dealer stated that most of the hardware on the top edge was rusted, what was the actual root cause of the moisture that damaged the Filon cap??

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #17

Bob,
First, I have not personally seen any damage due to moisture on the top of the access door, nor have I sat inside the storage area with the door closed like the service dept has. Service told Jayco that they did just that and could see daylight through the top of the access door where it's mounted on the trailer.......This is what Jayco told me yesterday, I have yet to hear from the dealer about it.

Secondly, at this point I would have to say that the Filon cap is an unrelated issue. Nevertheless, it was leaking water from the top of the Filon where it meets the roof. Was it causing water to pool up on the floor? That's a hard one to answer.

Lastly, I would have to say that the water damage to the Filon came from where it meets the roof, I assume it was a bad sealing of some sort.

I will post what the dealer has to say when they call me, can you think of any questions I should be asking them?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Chopshop,

The fact that they are seeing "daylight" along the top edge of the access door cutout sounds like they found the root cause, because if the water source was coming from a higher point one would think there would be evidence of a moisture trail based on the amount of water pooling.

Since you had an issue with the front Filon cap delaminating (assuming roof/cap joint root cause), I would look closely at the outer Filon "sidewalls" and make sure there aren't any signs of delamination as well........, just to rule out any possible issues with the roof/sidewall joints, or leaks around the marker lights.

Sounds like you and the dealer are staying on top of the leaking issue, and good to hear that Jayco is being supportive as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #19

Dealer is replacing the access door to the storage area where the water is present. Jayco also advised them to remove all the windows in the unit and re-seal all of them (nice of Jayco!). So far everything is going great and hopefully it will be ready by 4/28, it will be time to take to the mountains for the summer!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Chopshop,

I hope the storage door R&R resolves your leak issue...., and re-sealing the windows is an interesting gesture.

Enjoy the mountains!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS