Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

Seeking "off road" camper

Hello, I am new to the forum and in my first 55 years have camped in tents and the back of my pickup. I live in Interior Alaska and have finally decided that when the mosquitoes are nasty or the weather is cold and rainy, I want to be able to cook/eat/sleep/poop inside.

It's hard to find a big selection of campers here, especially in Fairbanks. I'm actually quite interested in an r-pod, but am also looking into the Jayco 154BH with Baja package.

My intent is to travel a lot of gravel roads, some of which are not always the best. I'm used to these kinds of roads and for the most part, find that sometimes they are better than the paved roads we have here. But, now and then, they get a bit dicey. I have seen a non-Baja Jayco Jay Lite, and felt like maybe it was a bit flimsy. I have also found some online reviews which seem to confirm this. Owners, after the fact, have upgraded. I'm wondering if anybody here has the experience to give a useful opinion on how the Baja version of a Jayco 154BH might fare on frequent gravel roads in Alaska.

I'm also looking into the Jayco Hardwall "A-frame" and the r-pod.

Thank you,

Don Morton
donaldjmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #2

Just adding a more specific question here - if you have experience with something like a 154bh Baja, would you consider driving it up the Haul Road or the Dempster? My experience (driving busses and SUV's) on these roads are that they are "usually" quite driveable, but now and then you run into a few nasty miles, usually associated with construction. However, I've seen the same kind of "bad road" on the paved road system in Alaska, and certainly down in the States now and then. Taking it slow makes a huge difference, and I have no problem with that.

I wonder if anybody has unique experience like this, as I anticipate frequent usage on roads in northern and Interior Alaska that will be bad at times. Am I out of my mind considering one of these Jayco light campers with Baja option?
donaldjmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #3

If money is no problem then check out the AUSTRALIA line of OFF-ROAD trailers.

I have had my STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer since 2008 and it will go anywhere my 4WD truck will pull it...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
154bh, a-frame, offroad