Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #1

Skylark question

In the Skylark promotional video I found on YouTube the Jayco engineer mentions a new model coming out later in the summer. Does anyone know what the new model is? Is it a tandem axle version by chance?

My wife and I really like the Skylark. We have a 2004 Ford Explorer that will tow a much heavier trailer, but we are purchasing our travel trailer with the realization that our next tow vehicle will have a lower tow rating. I had an F-150 for 13 years, but I can't justify buying another one. Our next vehicle will likely be the new design V6 Explorer with a 5,000 lb max tow capacity and 500 lb max hitch weight. Most of our trips will be close to home (3 hours or less), so it should be manageable.

We like the Skylark vs. the JayFeather 197 because of the trailer weight, but technically the 197 would be within the capacities of the new Explorer. If we stick to the 500 lbs of cargo allowed by the Skylark, that would put the 197 at approximately 4,200 lbs.

I actually love the interior styling of the Skylark. The only other trailer that has "spoke" to me the same way was the Edge by Heartland which are out of production. My parents have always had Jayco's so I figure I should be a Jayco owner too (:-)

I am just curious about whether a tandem axle version of the Skylark is in the works.
thebbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #2

Of all the models I've read about, I really like the Skylark the best because of the floor plan layout and interior quality. And it appears to me that the V-shaped front would result in a substantial reduction in wind resistance (and incresed MPG). Hope some others with more knowledge can chime in here about the Skylark.
2011 Toyota Tacoma, V-6
Realval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #3

Another company has a tandemm trailer that looks like the skylark, but lacks the interior design and green technology. Materials used do not take into consideration of saving weight, it's a heavy trailer.
Skylerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

I love the fit and finish of the Skylark, but I wish it were a tandem axle. I like it better than Shadow Cruiser 195WBS, Coachmen Apex 22QBS, and the Lance 1685, but I've got to have the safety offered by tandem axles.
thebbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

Am not aware of a Skylark with tandem axle. That is me personally. Think the new model was the design with the front island bed that you could walk around.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #6

Mileage per gallon

I just towed my Skylark from Hampton NB to Bar Harbor and averaged 14.51 mpg. I am towing with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4D. Very Happy with the results.
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #7

I just looked at this trailer on tube. I love it.. a much more economical choice for anyone who loved the airsteam / European look.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #8

Tandem and a walkaround bed? Our next trailer!
Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote