Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

Slide out ripped up floor!!!

On my new 2015 Whitehawk, while sliding out the slide a screw from the slide took out a nice gouge in the linoleum floor and then caught the corner of the carpet and ripped it up.

In hindsight, I remember while I was loading up with the slide in and standing near the couch I heard a lil "pop" .......I am guessing this is when the screw dislodged.......

Anyone have any similar experiences? Are you not supposed to go on the slide while it is in?? They certainly did not go over that in our walk thru last month if that is the case........

Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

One of the few things my dealer told me not to do during our delivery was step on the corners while the slide is in for that reason. I usually put a piece of tape over the corner from the couch to remind me not to step there. It's a shame it is designed this way to cause damage so easily.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #3

What model Whitehawk? My mom is having issues with their slide as well.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

wish my guy would have said something..............it looks like the flooring might be individual vinyl strips and not one giant sheet of linoleum.......maybe wishful thinking on my part but I see seams on edges of the "planks"....

it is a 28DSBH
Old 08-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #5

We had a similar thing happen, but we couldn't find any screw that was loose. We inevitably came to the conclusion, in our case, it was probably a small rock from gravel on the highway that we drove over.

I am curious about what the poster means about not stepping on the corners. Can you please explain that a bit more? In our case, when the slide is in, you can't walk by it at all as it is snug up against the kitchen, so I'm having some trouble picturing what is meant by this advise. Thanks.

PS: We had a small piece of lino that got pulled off. We have put a piece of duct tape over it for now, just to keep it dry and clean underneath until we can figure out what repair options we have.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #6

Have a new Pinnacle 36 KPTS, used twice. Have only had it for three months; two of which it has been at Camping World for warranty repairs due to poor worksmanship. While putting kitchen slide out in we heard a large pop, reopened slide and found floor had large rip in linoleum. Camping World now says that Jayco left a screw protruding from the bottom of the slide that caught the linoleum causing the rip. Repairs seem to be never ending on this unit. Thought that the Jayco Pinnacle would be a quality made fifth wheel since it is their top of the line model. Sadly I am finding out it is not. From other posts it seems like screws protruding from slide out bottoms have been an issue with Jayco.
Scubaguy269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #7

Jayco decided to install screws longer than 3/4" in our 3/4" slide floor (Dinette table pedestal sockets). Didn't rip the floor as I caught it. Noticed the table was loose, tightened up the screws, checked under the slide and sure enough they went through. Piss poor, but I fixed it with shorter screws before damage was done.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
I am curious about what the poster means about not stepping on the corners. Can you please explain that a bit more? In our case, when the slide is in, you can't walk by it at all as it is snug up against the kitchen, so I'm having some trouble picturing what is meant by this advise.
When the slide is all the way in, the slide floor protrudes upward off the main floor by an inch or two. If you step on the outer most ends (corners) with enough weight, it is possible to pull out the screws that hold it all together, leaving the screw head sticking down which can then tear up the floor. In my case you can access the entire camper with the slide in, but I always try to stay off of the slide room to prevent any damage. It is more flexible in the center, but I still try and stay off.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #9

We got our Octane at the end of May. On the first trip out, I noticed a nice gouge with a tiny tear at the end of the inward stroke that wasn't there when we picked it up. It's about 1/3 of the way in from the left side of the slide (inside, looking out), so it's definitely not any loose screws in the bottom corners. As far as I can tell, it's just a little bunched up bit of the fabric on the bottom lip and pressure that did the damage, no screws or rocks.

I happened to have some 4"x6" furniture sliders (i.e., put under the legs to slide across any type of floor) that I now make sure are under floor of the slide whenever we move it in or out to prevent any further damage. Either our side is mal-adjusted, the slide awning is pulling too hard, or both.

I've found lots of other dumb quality and design issues with our trailer that keep coming up. It's really unfortunate, because the Keystone we traded in only had a small handful of minor, easily-fixed problems from day one.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #10

This is what your looking for it's called a "Slide Out Slicker" and they make them for slide outs.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies........dropping unit off at dealer tomorrow.........we will see what they say.....