Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #1

SLX Baja Edition underbelly issues

We have the 145RB SLX Baja edition which has the additional corrugated heavy black plastic underbelly cover held in place with self-tap screws into the frame rails done without any attempt to prevent the entry of rodents . The regular SLX models use a single-ply plastic or heavy paper type underbelly cover which covers the insulation on the underside of the unit. So... in effect the SLX Baja editions have for all purposes two underside covers. The air space or cavity between the two layers is the depth or thickness of the entire frame rails. This space provides a perfect hide-a-way or apartment for rodents of all types. The rodents enter from any of dozens of opening or cavities between the frame and the heavy plastic corrugated cover and then they crawl into the holes sliced into the regular SLX insulation cover made for the installation and/or entry of piping or electric lines. I've removed rodent nests from the interior wiring and plumbing cabinet ( location of on board water tank and 12 volt system), after the rodents have accessed the interior. I've removed additional nests from between the black and gray holding tanks covered by the corrugated plastic. I am considering removing the entire corrugated cover so I can access all the cut out openings and poke-throughs left by the installers. Other owner experiences w/ SLX underbelly, and suggestions, or opinions are appreciated.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:09 AM   #2

That sounds like a nightmare. I hope you got it all fixed!
Rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:47 AM   #3

Yes, I did get it repaired. It was out of warranty, but I was able to do all the necessary work. I removed the entire plastic-core liner. I discovered all the tank sensors and battery sensors were missing sections of their wiring having been chewed by the various rodents. After removing the plastic-core underbelly liner, I then discovered the formerly unseen and formerly inaccessible holes cut into the vapor barrier fabric. The holes were slash cut with a utility knife when wiring and plumbing were installed This is where the rodents were gaining access to the insulation for nest building and where they were able to crawl into the space between the vapor barrier and the flake board flooring and to access interior floor mounted cabinets. I sealed the holes in the vapor barrier, added necessary lengths of wiring with crimp on connectors. I re-secured all the wiring to the frame rails. All in all it is sealed the way it should have been done at the factory. The plastic-core underbelly liner used was not even wide enough to cover the gray & black from the edge of each frame rail hence numerous gaps. The SLX baja edition is a good concept with larger capacity tanks and the "spring over axle" feature prevents drain pipes from damage. But, unfortunately the plastic-core underbelly is poorly engineered and has equally poor installation. This is not a rant, but rather a story of personal experience.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #4

Hope this may keep the rodents away. We use cotton balls soaked in peppermint essential oils placed in medicine cups. We use these in our shed to keep the rodents out, so far it has worked they don't like the smell. You do have to rewet the cotton balls once a month. Maybe some traps around the outside of the trailer would help too (if it's possible). Glad you got it all fixed hopefully they wont get back in.
Angeleyes0001a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:05 PM   #5

While I've not had any rodent issues with ours I did add some additional expanding foam around the opening that was cut for the gray and black tank drains to exit as a precaution. The other problem I had was water leaking in when it rained. I found that the plasti-core extended out past the front frame cross member by about a 1/4". When it rained, water would run down the front and drip off the frame cross member and onto the plasti-core. Unless the trailer was nose-down the water ran back underneath and pooled until the trailer was lifted, at which point it would run out the sides around the axle. I drilled a couple small drain holes in strategic places as well as sealed the gap between the front cross member and the plasti-core with some Silicone II sealant. Haven't had any further issues with water under the liner since.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote