Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #1

Sold a Lemon?

I bought a '05 JayFeather 23B from Carolina Coach and Marine towards the end of February for $8,700.00. I questioned the sag in the roof and was told there was a leak in the roof but same had been repaired. I could see where there was a new roof panel in place (from inside). I was assured that the service technicians went through a 21 point inspection and the TT was fine and that the service technicians had tested the roof with pressure washer.

Two days ago I got up on the roof to clean it and noticed the TPO roof was bubbled up (4-6" wide by maybe 12" in length) in a couple of spots.

I then cleaned the exterior and noticed the left side, toward the front, was bubbled out in an area approximately 18" wide and 2' high.

I was going to re-caulk the entire TT and noticed that the caulking near the left front side and right front side appeared to be pretty new compared to the rest of the caulk on the TT. The old caulk has black spots on it and is weathered - the new caulk is obviously very white with no spots or dirt on it.

The roof I can deal with, but the side possibly delaminating has me very, very concerned.

Is it possible that the side became delaminated after I purchased the TT?

Should the dealership have to pay for this fix or am I stuck?

How much does something like this cost to fix?

Any advice on how to deal with the dealership?
jjsgonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #2

Tested with a pressure washer? That might work. Then again if they can see inside the walls...

The proper way to leak test an RV is to pressurize it. I'm not sure how effective this test is with a hybrid, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Chances are you are stuck. I've seen shops and individuals do some very clever things with delamination. So long as you find and stop the source of the leak, there are all sorts of ways to deal with the walls. Do a search on rv.net for delamination repairs.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #3

Thanks Chuck,

I'll check out your advice on looking into RV.net in reference to delamination repairs.

I am of the belief that when there was a leak before it damaged the side wall and that repairs were made; just not done correctly. So far there is nothing to lead me to believe that there is an existing leak. We have been through some very tough rain since we purchased the TT and I have seen no evidence inside the TT of a leak as far as the roof and inside of the walls. I would also think there would be an odor associated with a mold if there was moisture inside the TT.

This is all speculation on my part though. Would there be an odor by now if it was leaking on the inside?

We are going to purchase a carport to keep the rain/sun off of the TT; I'm just concerned that since there is some delamination it will spread. Can you advise if my concerns are correct? If the leak was repaired as the dealership stated and no further moisture got into the wall would the delamination spread or would the wood eventually dry out and delamination not spread any further?
jjsgonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote