Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

stovetop cover

I just purchased a WhiteHawk 21FBS with the 3 burner stove. I definitely need a cover to be able to increase counter space. I looked at Camping World today at a couple of options with the Camco Universal metal cover being one of them. Any of you have any advice on getting a cover?
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
I just purchased a WhiteHawk 21FBS with the 3 burner stove. I definitely need a cover to be able to increase counter space. I looked at Camping World today at a couple of options with the Camco Universal metal cover being one of them. Any of you have any advice on getting a cover?
Lots of trailer owners make their own or place cutting boards on the stove. Use the 'Search' function for the forum. You're likely to find one of their solutions will work for you.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #3

I use the above mentioned cutting board method. I went down to Home Depot and in the area where they sell the felt pads you put on chair legs and what not, you can get white rubber feet. I took the grate off my stovetop, lined it up where I liked it on the bottom of my cutting board and strategically screwed four feet into the board so that when I place the board on the stovetop and tap it down gently, the four rubber feet create just a little tension. The board has never moved when I didn't want it to and works beautifully.

Added benefit: I picked up the board at a Tuesday Morning on clearance, so I've got maybe 10 bucks in it. Way cheaper and way better than the stuff they sell for 10x the price!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #4

We ordered the Atwood cover from Camping World. Easy to install.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

If your handy... make one! Heres ours the PO made back when the TT was new. The rubber feet really keep in place while traveling. I'm prob going to make a new one since its starting sag a little due to years of humidity etc.

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #6

I bought the black metal one from CW. Works and looks great. The finish can be scratched, so we are careful with it. Great addition, I have pics in the MODS section.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I use the above mentioned cutting board method. I went down to Home Depot and in the area where they sell the felt pads you put on chair legs and what not, you can get white rubber feet. I took the grate off my stovetop, lined it up where I liked it on the bottom of my cutting board and strategically screwed four feet into the board so that when I place the board on the stovetop and tap it down gently, the four rubber feet create just a little tension. The board has never moved when I didn't want it to and works beautifully.

Added benefit: I picked up the board at a Tuesday Morning on clearance, so I've got maybe 10 bucks in it. Way cheaper and way better than the stuff they sell for 10x the price!
Bob do you have a pic ?

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #8

I made a cutting board to go over the top of my stove. I never use the stove. Nearly doubled my counter space.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Camper View Post
Bob do you have a pic ?
Third and fourth pics:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...highlight=mods

I wanted a bigger board, but DW liked this one (it's bamboo). The rubber feet are EASY to install, and if you use the method I described above, the board does not move unless you lift it straight up off the grate.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #10

We just bought the Camco Decor Mate Stove Topper from Amazon and LOVE it! Think of it as a black plastic cutting board that fits perfectly over the 3 burner stove top. There is some rubberized backing on one side and this keeps it solidly seated above the (cool) burners. This works well and the board does not move unless you want to move it. We also use it as a lap desk for our computers; play surface for grandkids, etc. and it looks great.

It costs nearly $40 but we think it is worth it as it is lightweight; durable; has many purposes; etc.

Here is a pic from Amazon.

Attached Thumbnails
Camco Stove Topper.jpg  
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #11

Here's the one I made. I wanted total stove coverage. The little feet on the back with the no slide pantry liner keeps it very stable while traveling. Increase in counter space isClick image for larger version

Name:	eagle mods 005.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	16439

Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle mods 007.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	16440 huge. Mine sits directly on the grate and is easily removed.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #12

How about the small 2 burner stove on the SLX models? Will that Camco cover fit ours?
dj-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #13

When I had a two burner stove, I found a bamboo serving tray and by turning it upside down, the lips sit right down over the image of the stove and worked great as a cover. With the three burner stove now, I did buy the metal cover from camping world and it works great. Supposedly you screw it down but I just used those 3M Velcro like holders and they work great. Because it is hinged in the middle, I can flip the front part back and just use The front.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #14

I was going to try making a board with the little feet idea but couldn't find a board big enough to cover the entire stove top so ended up going with the big board from Camping World. The stuff on the bottom really makes it stick (I wouldn't be afraid to leave it on when traveling) and the WalMart dish dryer thingy fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
20150211_095040.jpg  
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #15

Ok I'm king of dumb questions, and not to hyjack the thread (great ideas already answered his question) but I my new to me 27 BH has a 3 burner with a black metal hinged (common) cover, but when I try to fold it back to uncover the burners (we do cook) it wants to come back a ways, looking like a A and covers some of the burner space. It seems to hit a STOP of some sort and I had tried forcing it slightly back to angle towards the outside wall like this / , but it won't go over 90 degrees and then the tension makes it fall towards me. Am I doing something wrong or is this how they are made, or mine has a problem?
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #16

Your metal fold-up cover should fold up and lean toward the rear of the stove top. I suspect something is bent, preventing the cover from fully folding. If it were mine I would remove it and take a real close look at how it works then repair as necessary.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
I was going to try making a board with the little feet idea but couldn't find a board big enough to cover the entire stove top so ended up going with the big board from Camping World. The stuff on the bottom really makes it stick (I wouldn't be afraid to leave it on when traveling) and the WalMart dish dryer thingy fits perfectly.
This is pretty much what we have. We leave it on all the time and so far, in 2 seasons it doesn't budge while traveling.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #18

I purchase a Lexan cutting board that was the same size as my stove grate and then added some adhesive bumpers to the bottom to keep it from sliding around. Works great.
liv2hnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #19

After reading this, we did the same thing with different "feet". Thanks so much for the idea. The added counter space is so useful!
Aspengran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #20

Check the pics out of the one I made. The crazy thing is, I found this piece of counter top in my inlaws house that they bought about 15 years ago and never used it. I don't think I could get a better match. Screwed some feet on the bottom, cost = free
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3071.jpg   IMG_3072.jpg   IMG_3073.jpg  
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote