Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Suggestions on Furnace Air Flow?

We just had the opportunity to spend a couple nights in the White Hawk 28RBKS this weekend with the furnace on. For illustrative purposes, the furnace on this model is just outside the bathroom (rear bath model) on the 'street' side of the RV.

One comment is regarding what I perceive as a planning flaw: the thermostat is right above the main furnace vent that is mounted vertically on the wall right next to the dinette. So, as the thermostat senses all that heat coming from the main vent, and the 'back' of the camper is nice and toasty, it shuts off while the front bedroom is still a bit chilly. Seems like it would have made more sense to move that thermostat elsewhere...

This leads to the main question. The floor vents (one near the kitchen island and one in the bedroom) push out very little air flow, while the vertically-mounted vents (one in the bathroom, which is nice, and the other aforementioned vent near the dinette) have as much air flow as a bathroom hand dryer. I was hoping I'd have the option to close or diffuse those vertical vents to direct more air flow to the floor vents, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'd rather have even air flow throughout the camper, if possible. Any mods/suggestions from anyone with a similar concern will be appreciated.
RIP Miss Sophie) rescued hounds
Fastalker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #2

If you can look at the duct work you need to see if there are any kinks in hoses (similar to dryer vent hose) You really don't want to block off any registers since you could reduce the total air flow and cause the furnace to overheat. Also if it is reduced too much the sail switch may not let the gas valve open.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

IMO, the ductwork in almost any RV is atrocious.

Just enough to deliver warm air into *most* of the RV.

My TT has the furnace located just aft of the axle with output registers over and forward of the axle. The thermostat is just a little further forward. The bedroom is all the way forward.

Wide temperature swings. Poor circulation. It's all normal operation.

If somebody wants to re-engineer the system by extending/enlarging the ducts and moving the registers where they'll be more effective... I say, "Go for it." A digital thermostat would help too.

Plan on spending some serious bucks to get "barely adequate" up to "works nicely".

Then tell the rest of us how great it is and what steps it took. I'll steal your successes freely.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
In my198RD I move one outlet from the dinette area to the front bedroom area. The had two ducts blowing on the dinette area and nothing way up front by the entrance door. All did fit well above the wheel enclosure and vanity and the along the tub to the wall exit. It distribute now evenly. The one by the thermostat I have blowing towards the dinette. In a way most RV heating systems are poorly designed let also say poorly installed.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #5

Exclamation Easy peasy lemon-squeezy!

My 27DSRL was the same way but an easy and relatively inexpensive fix cured it. First, dump the OEM thermostat and get a digital unit. Temperature swings in my coach went from 10°F (5 below the set temp to 5 above) to 2°F. About $70 on line. Next were adjustable registers (vents) for the bedroom and bathroom, under $10 each on line. The vents change out with 2 or 3 screws, just remove the old vents and replace with the new ones, easy peasy. The thermostat is a little more complicated but doable by most folks who can read and comprehend basic English. By adjusting the flow of the new vents I can make the trailer living space or bathroom or bedroom warm individually or all those areas warm at once. Try it, you'll be pleased.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

Thank you guys for all the suggestions, I think I will start with the digital thermostat and the new vents. My pre menopausal wife thinks that the temperature swings are just fine ;-)
RIP Miss Sophie) rescued hounds
Fastalker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

Just another possibility, I had poor airflow from one of the ducts and took off the cover by the furnace and found that one of the twist in duct adapters had vibrated loose from the knockout hole on the side of the furnace. It was blowing all the hot air into the cabinet space.
I also agree that a few bucks spent on some better piping and attention to the details of your individual system could result in some significant gains in comfort, I know it's on my to do list.

Ross..
Old 10-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #8

Have you ever wondered why the "furnaces" in RVs do not require return air filters?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace air flow