Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

sway bars

Hi, I have a 2006 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 186. I have had it just over a year. I have never taken it out on the interstate and never had a problem with sway on 2 lane highways going 55-60 MPH. I am nervous to take it on the interstate because of being passed by big rigs etc. Do you think I should install sway control? I do have a WD hitch. This trailer is only 19' long including the "A" frame. Opinions please. Thanks
gserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #2

since you asked for opinions, I can chime in.

If you have been driving this for a year on any kind of roads, I cant believe that a tractor trailer never passed you at least going the other way. I cant believe it was never windy, or something that would have convinced you to seek sway control prior.

No one can really tell you if you need one, but you. However my guess is you have already experienced similar conditions to interstates and haven't found the need for one yet.
vesteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #3

Our experience... When we owned a light little Casita 17', we pulled it with a mini-van. We never had a sway problem but we also kept it between 60-62mph even on interstates (although there were times that we drove 70mph to pass someone and still no sway). Wind didn't bother us either. OUr WDH came with the sway bar, but the bar stayed at home in the garage.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #4

I also have a Jayco Sport 186 but use dual-cam WD and have to tell ya it's nice when a TT comes up along side of you doing 65mph that the head pressure doesn't blow you into the next lane.
Morsecodeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #5

Have you ever towed your 186 without the sway control? If you did what was your experiance with it? Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #6

Now, What side to put the sway control on, L/H or R/H ? What side of the trailer is R/H and L/H?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #7

With our little Casita, the hitch had the little ball connector for the sway bar already attached on the one side (the right side or passenger side), so it was easy to decide which side to install it on. I read elsewhere it doesn't matter otherwise (but I didn't get an expert opinion on it other than trailers weighing over 4500 lbs should have two sway bars)
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #8

Hi gserve,
As for which side to install the control: It really does not matter.
If I were installing it myself, I would put it on the side that I spend the most time while setting up and tearing down. For me, that side is usually the L/H side or drivers side or what is also called "Street Side".
For what it is worth, the other side is called "Curb Side".
If you spend a lot of time on the drivers side hooking up, that would be where I would put it. That way you are not stepping over the tongue more times than needed. Just my two cents worth.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #9

I decided to put it on the passenger side. With that said I have another question. I noticed when I used it the first time that it was twisted down and not straight. and the pins were hard to remove. Is this normal? I realize it pivots on 2 balls but you can move it easily. Comments please. Thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #10

Not sure I follow when you say 'twisted down and not straight'?? Do you mean the arm you use to tighten up the pads?

Just to clarify, my SB is really nothing more than just a couple of brake pads sandwitched between a rough steel bar. When the trailer tries to 'sway', the bar creates resistance to stop the tail from wagging.

In order to remove the SB from the two balls (hitch & trailer) I have to loosen the arm quite a bit in order to permit movement on the arm itself. Once I loosen the 'brakes' off, the pins usually come out pretty easily.

I have to admit, I was surprised at how much resistance was needed on the SB to keep things straight the first time I used it. After a bit of playing, you'll figure out how much resistance is needed for your setup.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote