Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 AM   #1

Swift 184 With Waterbed Option

Ok, this morning marks the last time i sleep in a wet bed. Drove from Hamilton Ontario Canada thru to just north of Atlanta. Until we got to Chatanooga TN, the drive was DRY. There wasn't even a forecast of rain and i know this because i checked the weather networks forecast leading up to and including every hour while enroute. Ha! Clearly you can trust the weatherman just about as much as a polititions campaign promise. As we approached Chatanooga, the winds picked up and the heavens let loose a rain like i haven't seen since the last time i pulled this trailer. Before i left, we had issues with water coming in the front somewhere when in rain conditions only when driving so i consulted the highest authority i could find - this forum, and many owners suggested to caulk the seams of all the panels on the front. So thats what i did. Well, here is where the story goes south - so to speak. We pulled into the capground just outside Atlanta, leveled it out, hooked it up and guess what. I stlll have water coming in the front somewhere. I suspected the window on the front was the problem from day one, and this just reconfirms my belief. The bottom of this window is not caulked, never was, dealer say its not suppose to be and Jayco backs that up. Folks, thats a load of crap! There is effectively a large hole in the front of my trailer. If it is not sealed all the way around, then it amounts to only a smaller hole - but it a hole no matter how you slice it. So today, regardless of what others say, and after having two cups of coffee while analyzing this problem, i am going to seal the bottom of the window because i know i am right!
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #2

if the bed (cushions) is/are wet as you describe then you should be able too see where the water is coming from. the wall should have a waterline you can see. maybe it's coming through the sidewall mounted A/C or perhaps the emergency exit window...no matter where it's coming from you should be able to see the waterline on the wall. is the wetness at the head, foot, or middle of the cushions? just trying to eliminate the possibilities. good luck, hope you get it resolved, and most importantly enjoy your travels.
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #3

Long shot, but do you know anyone with a thermal camera?

We had an expert into work a few months back talking about water leaks into buildings and the challenge to locate them. Part of the discussion was using thermal cameras to track water leaks. They showed images of some windows with and without water leaks. The images he stated where taken within 1 day of a rain storm. There were cold spots wherever water leaks were at the walls and often showed the trail where the water flowed.

Know of a camera you can borrow?

Also, what type of window system is up front. I wonder if the seal behind the frame is damaged. I would recommend doing a YouTube search to see what the gasket in material is and how to properly replace it. If I recall the frame less windows are a foam gasket, and have heard it is fairly easy to replace.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

Try checking for leaks with a water hose with a spray nozzle with someone inside the trailer watching for water.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #5

Thanks for the good advice folks. While on the road yesterday, on our way from Atlanta to Charleston SC, i managed to caulk the bottom of the front window. I have a good seal and encountered a five minute rain as i approached out destination. Checked the front panel inside and eliminated 90% of the water. I did notice that upon further inspection of the window, there is a seal under the window's hinged cover. It has gaps - fairly large gaps on the bottom edge. This needs to be changed today as water can travel between these gaps and effectively seeps into the window frame and down between the walls where it exits at the interior panel seam. I have traced its path, it is the damn window, i just didn't finish the job. When i get back home. She is gonna be traded. Had enough of this crap! Sorry Jayco, you have lost my faith in your product and your reputation for standing behind a clearly defective product. Am very disappointed it turned out this way.
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote